Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Final Destination
I know this series of films isn't known for it's realism, but it seems like a lot of the deaths have been one in a million, but possible to occur in real life. This one throws that out and just goes for ridiculous over-the-top deaths.

It's probably about as good as the third one, enjoyable, but nothing special.

I also got round to watching August Rush on TV last week. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
The Final Destination
I know this series of films isn't known for it's realism, but it seems like a lot of the deaths have been one in a million, but possible to occur in real life. This one throws that out and just goes for ridiculous over-the-top deaths.

It's probably about as good as the third one, enjoyable, but nothing special.

I also got round to watching August Rush on TV last week. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The final destination series is just for pure comedic effect - none of it is remotely scary. FD3's "American footballer in the gym" death had me laughing for ages!!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The final destination series is just for pure comedic effect - none of it is remotely scary. FD3's "American footballer in the gym" death had me laughing for ages!!!!

I thought the first three films had 'ridiculous' deaths. Highly unlikely, but not necessarily funny. But the deaths in this one were cartoonishly silly. If you found the gym death funny you'll be laughing most of the way through this.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Dunno BOF. Haven't heard it though!!!

Becoming Jane is on BBC1 today - brilliant movie - definitely recommended!!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[yt]aEv4HRrkqvk[/yt]

This one?

Cold As Ice. Originally by foreigner, I believe, remixed by Scooter. Possibly someone else remixed it too, too.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Don't be embarrassed Laura. Titanic is a very good film 8.4

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My drama teacher had a titanic fixation shortly before the film came out, so we had to learn lots about it, even watched the (imo far superior) A Night To Remember - which was on bc 2 this weekend.

When I watched Titanic I was offended because it isn't really about the titantic, barely any of the things I learned about it were covered. It could have easily been called "Forbidden love on the doomed ship hms gonazinc". There was little beyond the obvious that made this about the titanic. Which I, at the time, found offensive, like Cameron was using the "brand" of Titanic to sell a film that wasn't really paying tribute to the disaster, and I hated his oscar speech: "Let's have a moment of silence for all those that lost their life in this disaster.... I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!" so classless. Do the king of the world at the start, end with the tribute and leave it in silence as you walk off.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
People who slag off Titnaic will use whatever the want to do so. He did the moment of silence and why not and his " kings of the world " reference was a reference to a scene in the film and after all he won 11 Oscars and proved all the doubters wrong as this film was written off as the most expensive Turkey waiting to happen before it even hit the screens so to gain $ 1 800 000 000 at the Box Office ( nearly twice the haul of the nearest challenger ) was a yah boo sucks to the snipers and critics so I can forgive him his moment of glory.

Cameron is a very good director and Titanic is a very good film, always thought that and always will and don't care if 99% of NSC think its shit because it is not.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
People who slag off Titnaic will use whatever the want to do so. He did the moment of silence and why not and his " kings of the world " reference was a reference to a scene in the film and after all he won 11 Oscars and proved all the doubters wrong as this film was written off as the most expensive Turkey waiting to happen before it even hit the screens so to gain $ 1 800 000 000 at the Box Office ( nearly twice the haul of the nearest challenger ) was a yah boo sucks to the snipers and critics so I can forgive him his moment of glory.

Cameron is a very good director and Titanic is a very good film, always thought that and always will and don't care if 99% of NSC think its shit because it is not.

Woah. Defensive much. I haven't said it's a bad film, I've said it is sold on the titanic name but is not 'a titanic film'. It isn't the story of the titanic, it's the story of a working class american breaking into the upper class brit society, a tale of doomed love.

Change the name of the boat and no one would notice.

Yes, I know he was quoting his film. Yes, I like that after using the titanic to sell a film that isn't about the titanic he did a moment of silence. What annoyed me was the fact the king of the world quote was what broke the moment of silence. He should have done his king of the world quote at the start of his speech, and ended he speech with the moment of silence, and left the stage with a sedate "thank you", or just leaving the respectful silence hanging in the air.

Yes, people had it in for the film before it came out, (perhaps all the hype in the build up to its release actually helped, people going to see it to see if it was the disaster it was being built up to be), and there are people who dislike it because it's popular. But that clearly wasn't why I disliked it.

If I was to watch it again I probably wouldn't resent it as much, now I know it isn't 'a titanic film'.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyway I watched it again and confirmed my view it is a slice of top film making.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It also boasts one of the greatest and most beuatiful film scores of all time.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Hurt Locker

i thought this was an excellent film, with a different angle to your usual war film. though i didn't like the use of the Big Name actors who were just a distraction. critics are wetting themselves over it's "realism" but US servicemen are up in arms about it apparently, saying it's pure hokem. however, i thoroughly enjoyed it: 8.5 out of ten. (worth going to crawley to see it, not showing in brighton).

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Kathryn Bigelow is probably the best female director around and does action well. Point Break is a decent film with some great scenes but her masterpiece is the underrated Strange Days with Ralph Fiennes. A constantly interested and absorbing film.

She seems to have raised the bar further with The Hurt Locker. Her films however stiff at the box office for some reason, Strange Days stiffed badly and The Hurter Locker stiffed badly in the USA despite some rave reviews.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The Hurt Locker had me completely on edge for 2 and a tiny bit hours. I thought about the war-film in general, and that is one of the finest i've seen. Little character-building and pretty inhumane throughout, it's just an episodic piece of enormously-tense wartorn cinema. Soldiers watching the ground shake and staring suspiciously at every passing whisper of a man who fails to wave their hand of friendship. Cars, people, buildings and tanks are threatened with explosion, some sewn into the torsos of breathless children, and one team of three have to defuse each grenade to lessen the slaughter. None quite know who the enemy is, but are aware of their job to do, so do it.
It's epic stuff, and it farts in the face of the throwaway, over-glamourised cack Tarantino manages to slackly put together in his mirthless war-story of a week ago.
I highly recommend.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The Hurt Locker .....
It's epic stuff, and it farts in the face of the throwaway, over-glamourised cack Tarantino manages to slackly put together in his mirthless war-story of a week ago.
I highly recommend.

**HURT LOCKER SPOILERS**

steady on now. it's a very good film but in it's own way it's also as "over-glamourised" as I.B's (i enjoyed that too) and could even be viewed as leaning towards army recruitment propaganda. the gung-ho ending particulalry left me feeling a little bit uneasy. but it's very tense and a terrific drama. afterwards, perhaps i shouldn't have read the angry reviews by servicemen (see metacritic.com) as it seems to be a work of absolute fiction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here