Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
jarhead - always wanted to see this so tried to watch it last night on ITV. Unfortunately they put it on so late that I fell asleep half way through. Still it wasn't really exciting enough to keep me awake so can't be that good really.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have you seen Gran Torino Easy ?. It is actually much better than Changeling which itself was a very good film.

I have seen about 2/3 of Gran Torino and was THOROUGHLY enjoying it.
But then the bent copy disk I was watching it on decided to stop working, so I've not seen the end. I'll probably hire it properly off LoveFilm or something.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Jarhead is worth watching but nothing to get too excited about.

Little Miss Sunshine is a wonderful film, one of the best casts of the recent years and perfectly judged comedy and seriousness.

I watched Tooth and Cabin Fever both very funny and good modern horrors.

johnnyjetlag

Jul 26, 2004
Got to see Drag me To Hell earlier this week and I was dissapointed. There were a few nice Raimi touches (a talking goat!), but the script itself was just too weak. 3 out of 5.

johnnyjetlag

Jul 26, 2004
Terminator: Salvation - a solid sci fi action film, but a weak Terminator flick. Better than T3 though! 6 uzis out of 10.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd go along with Johnny Jetlag's opinion of Terminator: Salvation. No sense of character in there at all as there was in the thunderous original and the camp follow-up. Also something to note is the fact it is a 12A, meaning not a bead of blood is spilt. Removes some of the threat to humans, but the post-apocolyptic state of the robot-run Earth still leaves the viewer a tad shaken. Good graphics. I paid attention for nearly two hours, which is unlike me when watching the usual unharmonious shite Hollywood conducts.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Star Trek

Whoosh ….! Where do I begin ? Stunning visuals, thrills, spills, action and great dialogue. Early in the film we meet Kirk’s soon to be heroically vaporised father and soon after the young “in yer face” stroppy kid with an attitude. Is this because of his father? or despite his father ? This an exploration of how one man finds his destiny and can change the fate of the universe along the way, oh sorry, with the help of a mixed bunch of multitalented crew members.

The Romulans have a huge axe to grind, and indeed a huge ship with such to do it with, over the loss of their planet. Unless you use a one coat paint I wouldn’t like to be on the team for this baby as there are a lot of nasty sharp bits which would require close attention. Indeed the ship looks like a cross between a half flattened Porcupine and Don King’s hairstyle and packs a punch to match. I would have thought that they could have got the air-con fixed though and because of this, the Romulans have to wear long heavy coats which does slow them down when in a firefight with the sleeker and trimmer Starfleet uniforms.

Chris Pine as Kirk has a tempestuous 2 hours of being on the wrong end of beatings , strangulations, hanging off precipitous ledges and Doctor McCoy’s medicine chest. This is an outstanding attempt to wrest back the White Vest of Heroism which has clothed Bruce Willis so well through the Die Hard series. In fact, no matter how hard you batter Kirk, he comes back and by sheer force of will, Orthodontics and persuasion he wins the day.

The key characters have all been very well cast with the exception of Mr Chekov who looks like an Andy Murray look-alike who has stumbled out of the gulag and in to an ill fitting accent and uniform. Spock is played very well with logic, science and the expected lack of emotion demanded of the role but with the odd unexpected good quip thrown in.

The only downside is the usual old stereotype of making sure that any attack on earth MUST take place either adjacent to The Eiffel Tower, The White House, Big Ben or Sydney Harbour Bridge or, in this case The Golden Gate Bridge. Please Film Makers, stop doing this !

All in all a rip-roaring adventure but with the rare and added bonus of a heart. Yes, a heart, you do care for the characters especially both Spock’s. I would assume that this is the first in a run of new Star Trek films and it pays to be one of the main characters knowing how they can’t die because we know them all so well as old men ? A good gig for Pegg and the rest as this should be their pension plans sorted.

7.5 ( but, thanks to the genius of Ships Engineer Montgomery Scott…..) warped to

8.5 and a Must See

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Terminator: Salvation
Unlike seemingly most people, I rather enjoyed this. Other than the end bit, seemed a bit ott and unnecessary.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The taking of Pelham 123 - Not bad as remakes go. They employed ex cons and New Yorkers to capture as much authenticity as possible. It doesn’t really manage to capture the claustrophobia and urban grit of the original and Denzel Washington was never really going to replace Walter Matthau as the irritable subway dispatcher - but all in all a pretty good effort with a few updated twists. Anyway, I really enjoyed it as the 6 train is the one I get into work in the morning.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Last House on the Left
I didn't hate it, but now really can't think of much to say, so I guess it didn't really leave an impression on me one way or the other.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Defiance

Decent WW2 true story about a community of Jews hiding in the woods from the Nazi's and fighting back and stuff. James Bond is there with them, and he totally CREAMS some of Hitlers finest (but he's disguised as a Belarussian peasant with an accent and everything). No sign of the Aston Martin, but Bond is on top form and still gets his end away, as always. Disappointing lack of gadgets, and there's an alarming bout of typhus at one point, but other than that this is good solid entertainment.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Star Trek

Whoosh ….! Where do I begin ? Stunning visuals, thrills, spills, action and great dialogue. Early in the film we meet Kirk’s soon to be heroically vaporised father and soon after the young “in yer face” stroppy kid with an attitude. Is this because of his father? or despite his father ? This an exploration of how one man finds his destiny and can change the fate of the universe along the way, oh sorry, with the help of a mixed bunch of multitalented crew members.

The Romulans have a huge axe to grind, and indeed a huge ship with such to do it with, over the loss of their planet. Unless you use a one coat paint I wouldn’t like to be on the team for this baby as there are a lot of nasty sharp bits which would require close attention. Indeed the ship looks like a cross between a half flattened Porcupine and Don King’s hairstyle and packs a punch to match. I would have thought that they could have got the air-con fixed though and because of this, the Romulans have to wear long heavy coats which does slow them down when in a firefight with the sleeker and trimmer Starfleet uniforms.

Chris Pine as Kirk has a tempestuous 2 hours of being on the wrong end of beatings , strangulations, hanging off precipitous ledges and Doctor McCoy’s medicine chest. This is an outstanding attempt to wrest back the White Vest of Heroism which has clothed Bruce Willis so well through the Die Hard series. In fact, no matter how hard you batter Kirk, he comes back and by sheer force of will, Orthodontics and persuasion he wins the day.

The key characters have all been very well cast with the exception of Mr Chekov who looks like an Andy Murray look-alike who has stumbled out of the gulag and in to an ill fitting accent and uniform. Spock is played very well with logic, science and the expected lack of emotion demanded of the role but with the odd unexpected good quip thrown in.

The only downside is the usual old stereotype of making sure that any attack on earth MUST take place either adjacent to The Eiffel Tower, The White House, Big Ben or Sydney Harbour Bridge or, in this case The Golden Gate Bridge. Please Film Makers, stop doing this !

All in all a rip-roaring adventure but with the rare and added bonus of a heart. Yes, a heart, you do care for the characters especially both Spock’s. I would assume that this is the first in a run of new Star Trek films and it pays to be one of the main characters knowing how they can’t die because we know them all so well as old men ? A good gig for Pegg and the rest as this should be their pension plans sorted.

7.5 ( but, thanks to the genius of Ships Engineer Montgomery Scott…..) warped to

8.5 and a Must See

The casting of zachary quinto was genius

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cinderella Man

Simply the greatest ever not only boxing film or sporting film of all time.

Superb performances by Crowe and Giamatti who stole the show abley backed up by Zellweger.

The greatest ever boxing scenes and all round a damn good film from Richie Cunningham.

One of my favourites of all time.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Terminator Salvation: After the panning it's been getting I went inot the cinema expecting to watch a complete turkey of a movie. I was pleasantly surprised to find I actually quite enjoyed it. As a stand alone movie it was pretty good, it's just let down by the fact that it's not as good as the first two terminators. Much more enjoyable than Terminator 3 though. 6.5.

Million Dollar Baby: started out well, sagged a bit in the middle but pulled it out of the bag in the final half hour. 7.

The Machinest: This was pretty good. Bale looks unwell but puts in a good solid performance as the sleep deprived machinist of the title. A bitconfusing at times but it all comes clear by the end. 7.3

Charlotte Grey; Another fine performance by Cate Blanchett. Good espionage(sort of)movie. 7.4

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Cinderella Man

Simply the greatest ever not only boxing film or sporting film of all time.

Superb performances by Crowe and Giamatti who stole the show abley backed up by Zellweger.

The greatest ever boxing scenes and all round a damn good film from Richie Cunningham.

One of my favourites of all time.

I prefer both Raging Bull and Rocky. And Rocky 2.

Frost/Nixon: Very very good. 8.8 ish

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Star Trek

8.5 and a Must See

how did Spock meet up with his older self then............................

on second thoughts leeeeeeeaaaaaave it vegster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here