Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Way after the event (everything comes to Austria later) but Gran Torino was a superb film. Quite remarkable performance from Eastwood as well as the brother and sister who played his neighbours.

Don't know if The First Day of the rest of your Life ever came to the UK or not but I can recommend it totally. A great French family drama with a bit more depth than a lot of French films.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Seven Pounds

Will Smith may be a pop star,tv star, pretty man with a superb physique but that is not where he talents end.

He is also a superb actor imo.

He is on top form here in this story with a very strong message.

Over the 2 hours the story unfolds to find out he had everything but in a moment that will make you want to never take your mobile phone in your car with you again he life will change forever. He causes a highway car crash that leaves 7 people dead.

You see him a couple of years later. He is a borken man but also sets a chain of events in place he had been working on for the time since the crash to atone for his actions. He literally saves 7 lives with his selfless actions and ultimate sacrifice.

This story move me. it makes you look at life and send a strong message that every life is worthwhile if that person is a good person. No preaching but the message was clear. He has worked on his list of 7 people and at the end the 7 lives he has accidentally taken is replaced by his saving/improving of 7 lives.

The story is slow but the tone and pace is spot on. The music is also wonderful. I am sure a few of the hard hearts on NSC will dismiss this as " sentimental drivel " but anyone with a beat in their heart will surely be moved.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Seven Pounds

Will Smith may be a pop star,tv star, pretty man with a superb physique but that is not where he talents end.

He is also a superb actor imo.

He is on top form here in this story with a very strong message.

Over the 2 hours the story unfolds to find out he had everything but in a moment that will make you want to never take your mobile phone in your car with you again he life will change forever. He causes a highway car crash that leaves 7 people dead.

You see him a couple of years later. He is a borken man but also sets a chain of events in place he had been working on for the time since the crash to atone for his actions. He literally saves 7 lives with his selfless actions and ultimate sacrifice.

This story move me. it makes you look at life and send a strong message that every life is worthwhile if that person is a good person. No preaching but the message was clear. He has worked on his list of 7 people and at the end the 7 lives he has accidentally taken is replaced by his saving/improving of 7 lives.

The story is slow but the tone and pace is spot on. The music is also wonderful. I am sure a few of the hard hearts on NSC will dismiss this as " sentimental drivel " but anyone with a beat in their heart will surely be moved.

I was under the impression that the title was in respect of his allegedly huge trouser tackle, thanks for clearing that up

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can I just mention, this thread is EXCELLENT use when compiling a rental list on Lovefilm.com

Seven Pounds has been duley added.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Can I just mention, this thread is EXCELLENT use when compiling a rental list on Lovefilm.com

Seven Pounds has been duley added.

You want a copy for free? PM me your address if you want. I had to review it the other week and i found it slightly moving at times, but in general over-piously grating. So i'm happy not to keep it.
No charge. Other than respec.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Night at the Museum 2
It was ok. I've not seen the first, but I don't think you have to. Typical family adventure. It was nothing special, but not anything you'll regret giving 90mins of your life to if you have to.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
12 Rounds
Not bad action film, as long as you don't want something too intellectual. Dumb fun, but not exactly unmissable.

Drag Me To Hell
Pretty good horror film, something different to current trend for torture horror, or remakes. The ending was a little predictable after a certain point, but still a good film worth checking out.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
2 dissapointments this week.

The Wrestler

After the rave reviews this got I was expecting MUCH more. Rourke plays a washed up Wrestler, broke, alone and its only his passion for the sport that keeps him going.

Its a Wrestling Rocky but not as good. Rourke does a good show be a bafta winning performance ?, I think not. The story is fairly routine and the fights are well staged uncluding a head case fight which brings on a heart attack.

At the end he has nothing but he sport and few fans that still adore him and goes out with a slam dunk.

But worse was to follow MUCH worse.

Slumdog Millionaire

This is imo the most overrated film of the last decade and most unworthy winner of 8 oscars. Its a reasonable story of a young man's success on the Indian WWTBAM where conveniently the questions all follow some event in his life thereby he knows the answers " it is written ". However its the constant and most irrating use of sub titles I have ever seen, the subtitles are tiny and flash all over the screen top right, bottom left, top right, middle AAGGGHHHHHHH f*** OFF !. Boyle obviouly was trying to be flash doing something that has not been done before but there's a reason for that Boyle. ITS f***ing ANNOYING !.

The last 30 minutes improved slightly and the end was touching with a beautiful piece of music.

After an hour my rating was around 1 out of 10 but in the end it scraped

Hugely dissapointing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Changeling

Is Clint Eastwood capable of directing a BAD fiilm ? This is an enthralling couple of hours, with an AMAZING performance by Angelina Jolie. Based on a true story in Los Angeles 1928, when single mum Jolie's 9 year old son goes missing, only for the (corrupt) LAPD to foist another boy on her 5 months later claiming to be her son, but who clearly isn't. John Malkovich is on top form as a loudmouth preacher who is determined to expose the corruption within LAPD and the mishandling of the whole case (inclding Jolie being thrown into the nuthouse just to shut her up).

Incredible true story, hugely entertaining from start to finish.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
2 dissapointments this week.

The Wrestler

After the rave reviews this got I was expecting MUCH more. Rourke plays a washed up Wrestler, broke, alone and its only his passion for the sport that keeps him going.

Its a Wrestling Rocky but not as good. Rourke does a good show be a bafta winning performance ?, I think not. The story is fairly routine and the fights are well staged uncluding a head case fight which brings on a heart attack.

At the end he has nothing but he sport and few fans that still adore him and goes out with a slam dunk.

But worse was to follow MUCH worse.

Slumdog Millionaire

This is imo the most overrated film of the last decade and most unworthy winner of 8 oscars. Its a reasonable story of a young man's success on the Indian WWTBAM where conveniently the questions all follow some event in his life thereby he knows the answers " it is written ". However its the constant and most irrating use of sub titles I have ever seen, the subtitles are tiny and flash all over the screen top right, bottom left, top right, middle AAGGGHHHHHHH f*** OFF !. Boyle obviouly was trying to be flash doing something that has not been done before but there's a reason for that Boyle. ITS f***ing ANNOYING !.

The last 30 minutes improved slightly and the end was touching with a beautiful piece of music.

After an hour my rating was around 1 out of 10 but in the end it scraped

Hugely dissapointing.

I watched Slumdog before the hype and absolutely LOVED it. Easy to watch, funny and moving.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Changeling

Is Clint Eastwood capable of directing a BAD fiilm ? This is an enthralling couple of hours, with an AMAZING performance by Angelina Jolie. Based on a true story in Los Angeles 1928, when single mum Jolie's 9 year old son goes missing, only for the (corrupt) LAPD to foist another boy on her 5 months later claiming to be her son, but who clearly isn't. John Malkovich is on top form as a loudmouth preacher who is determined to expose the corruption within LAPD and the mishandling of the whole case (inclding Jolie being thrown into the nuthouse just to shut her up).

Incredible true story, hugely entertaining from start to finish.

Have you seen Gran Torino Easy ?. It is actually much better than Changeling which itself was a very good film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I tend to disagree. I loved the first one and the trailer for 2 looks amazing. Not everyone's cup of tea I grant you being being a child trapped in a Man's body i am almost wetting myself in anticipation.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Little Miss Sunshine.

Brilliant. Utterly brilliant. Weird, wonderful, deep and meaningful.

Totally agree with the above. A really funny and deep film. Best American non-mainstream film for me since Sideways (or maybe Dahjeeling Limited).

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Drag me to Hell..as mentioned, I recommend it for its Sam Raimi gonzoness and numerous shocks..pedestrian story based on the 1950's classic "night of the demon" with a twist I did'nt see coming despite it being VERY obvious.

T4 Salvation - total and utter gash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here