Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
well, it's all about opinons but...imo Pitt had zero charisma in the role and seemed to be sleepwalking, Blanchett was utterly unlikeable, the "aging" (and anti aging) was poor (except for a teenage Pitt). i like slow, drawn out, character films but nothing interesting happened. at all.

I think the problem with Cate Blanchett was that we saw snapshots of her character, so we don't really get to know her, or why she is how she is because she comes in and out o the story.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He's Just Not In To You
I really enjoyed this, it seem to have a good balance between typical ensemble indie relationship analysis film, and mainstream popcorn romance. Predictable, but cute and fun.

challengechappers

Sep 14, 2005
No not really. Maybe a little slow, but not quite in the extreme sense of Forrest Gump..

I'd say there was very little related between the two films...

fair enough, i'm not bothered about trying to convince you tbh! i must be on me own with that opinion! i felt the adult character played him like a simpleton. an enjoyable film but way over hyped and certainly shouldn't be up for a oscar.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Its f*** all like Forrest Gump to be honest

Both films introduce us to the character late in his journey, he then sits down and recounts stories from his life that build into each other, a recurring sweetheart from childhood...

I don't think I'd ever introduce it as the indian forest gump, I doubt very much I'd bring forest up when talking of slumdog, but it's not that hard to see some similarities.

I agree that it is over rated, but I still think it's very good.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
fair enough, i'm not bothered about trying to convince you tbh! i must be on me own with that opinion! i felt the adult character played him like a simpleton. an enjoyable film but way over hyped and certainly shouldn't be up for a oscar.

Ye i kind of agree. I liked the film a lot but I think the whole "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" theme is not really Oscar material.

Having said that Forrest Gump won Best Movie in like 1994 ahead of Shawkshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction so who are we to say:glare:

Still gave it a 9/10 on my IMDB account:lolol:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
watched Benjamin Button today - a hopeless, tedious, bore of a film. fails on all levels, an absolute shocker!

I went into this expecting to like it. But I came out agreeing with you. Far too long, disjointed snippets from a life with no proper flow to it. Wooden acting all round - I like Brad Pitt as an actor, but he usually does better as a character player (Burn After Reading, True romance, Twelve Monkeys, Snatch, etc) than as leading man.

Disappointing

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Doubt. Meryl Streep the nun is convinced Philp Seymour-Hoffman the priest is being a little "too friendly" with one of the boys at their school, and seeks to bring him down even though she has no proof. Well acted all round, and very involving even though Catholicism is not normally one of my main areas of interest. But it does occasionally creak and show off too obviously that it's a filmed version of a stage play (some of the dialogue was meant to be heard on stage and doesn't work in the 'real world' of film), which stops it being truly great.

Doubt
My only issue is in the final scene. I don't know what exactly it is that bothers me, I don't know if it is the line, Meryl Streep's delivery, or the... how to put it.. the character moment (?). It just felt clunky.

See my theory above... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
See my theory above... :thumbsup:

About the stage origins? Yeah, I can see that, the way the last scene is shot felt like a stage adaptation. I mean, I expected the sentiment she expressed, just the way it came out grated with me more than the rest of the film, which I actually really liked.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Adulthood - pretty powerful actually. Not the nicest watch in the world but that's not the point. Better than Kidulthood. 7.8

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The International

Saw it last night. Loosely based on the BCCI money laundering for arms scandal it’s visually stunning with believable characters. Best set piece is a bloody shootout in the Guggenheim museum in New York. It could have fallen into the trap of trying too hard to be a cross between Bourne and Bond but doesn’t - as a result it lets the plot build at a convincing pace.

The timing of its release is quite fortuitous as the bankers are the real villains of the piece and it has done good business in the States following the exposure of shady characters like Bernie Madoff. The ending is a bit contrived but overall it’s worth a punt. 6.0

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I generally had some repect for the Fincher, if never loving any of his films. I could sit through them and liked his playful visuals at times, making them sit just off-centre and seem boldly-crafted. Benjamin Button, though, is a truly terrible film and his reputation has taken a nosedive with it, from my point of view. Fincher's decision to work with Pitt at any time is a giant blunder, but to put him into this central role and concentrate on the characterless dimness that he brings to cinema is a shameful act. In their previous alliances there's been something out of place and gothic on the canvass on which they play, scenery to mask the emotional inertia ex-pretty-boy Pitt so naturally carries. In Button, though, there is no cover for this internal unattractiveness and vapidity. And i blame Fincher for that.
If BB wins any Oscars, then it is more a statement of the brief killing of American cinema last year with the writer's strike than how this salty and heartless concotion was the sweetest and most tasteful brew.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Bank Job

Enjoyable brit crime caper set in the 70's. Jason Statham keeps his shirt on for once, and there's some cracking swearing as well. This film can only enhance your evening.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Taken

Liam Neeson stars as a one man war machine when his daughter away with her friend in Paris is kidnapped by a gang of Albanians and force into prostitution being drugged and sold on. Neeson gets a call from his daughter on her mobile just as she is about to be snatched. He gets on the first flight from the USA to Paris pronto and sets about tracking down the gangs and rescuing her.

Suffice to say there is loads of acton and Liam manages to kill at least 50 people on his own with a tour de force of brutal retribution. There are some stand out fight scenes, car chases and a eye watering torture scene.

Neeson at 56 is one Cool dude and shows the older man can still hack it.

This has been a suprise huge hit in the USA taking $ 78 000 000 in 3 weeks. Neeson is back on the map , big style.

Well worth a look for a cracking throw away action movie evening. Check it out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here