Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Young Victoria

Cannot describe how wonderfully romantic this movie is. It's beautiful, with wonderful acting, casting, scripting and cinematography. Oh, and great music to boot.

Totally in love with Rupert Friend too. *swoon*

Have you checked out August Rush yet ?.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Jonathan Rhys Meyers will get your pulse racing Laura.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I really enjoyed The Class. It's set in a "challenging" inner-city school in France and the main actor (also the writer) is an ex-teacher. All the action takes place in the school which some non-teachers would find too much but I think there's quite a lot of truth in the film.

To be seen by teachers and anyone who has an opinion on education.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Sat through the excessively-long Watchmen last night. It was my job to for being a fan of the original story and oldtime collector of comics. With Snyder as the director, the maker of two characterless, cartoony bloodfests, i expected it to be a proper slice of turd, but it wasn't as bad as predicted. Some of the performances were decent and enjoyable. The direction was poor though, so i was right to continue doubting the worth of Snyd. Visually he casts a series of gross-out gore-scenes with artlessly painted backgrounds, but seems to spend so long dealing with the close-ups of arms being severed and cleavers to the skull that a narrative loses its importance or relevance and is often forgotten and all his output looks teenage and unsubtle.
Worth a look, though, for the partially comedic elements brought to screen by the Comedian and Roarschach, and to make people maybe want to read the original.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've seen infernal affairs, and so refused to watch the departed (that and my dislike of leo, and general apathy towards scorsese films).

You see, I quite like Di Caprio. I think he's been excellent in a couple of films (namely The Aviator and Gangs of New York).

Rise of the Footsoldiers - not sure why I bothered. What a load of rubbish.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Di Caprio is a superb actor. He was superb in the Departed so not watching that because he is in it is absurd. He was also good in Blood Diamond.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Saw V - so mundane that the gross-out scenes rendered themselves pointless (and tasteless, artless, useless). I really enjoyed them up to this point as well.

V.V

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Check out August Rush and tell me what you think.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Saw V - so mundane that the gross-out scenes rendered themselves pointless (and tasteless, artless, useless). I really enjoyed them up to this point as well.

V.V

Saw 3 was utterly repulsive and sick. I did not bother to watch Saw 4 or Saw 5 due to this. Shame as Saw 1 and to a lesser degree Saw 2 were fresh and original and offered something to the horror genre.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I like the look of Marley and Me. Any good ?.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
This is England - Brilliant acting by all. 9/10

American History X - Surprisingly good. Could have delved a bit more into the mind of Norton's character, he seemed to change his bigotted ways too easily. 7/10

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It's difficult when two films come along with a similar or identical name. It feels you have to make a choice between which one deserves it. I saw The Class last week and wondered during viewing whether it was better than the richboy mother-lover Graduate-copycat comedy classic starring two legends, Rob Lowe and Andrew McCarthy. I found that it was and wrote to BBC1 to tell them that they should remove it's biannual Monday 11.45pm showing of Class, to be replaced by the touching and pertinent Cannes winner instead. I await their reply.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You see, I quite like Di Caprio. I think he's been excellent in a couple of films (namely The Aviator and Gangs of New York).
Di Caprio is a superb actor. He was superb in the Departed so not watching that because he is in it is absurd. He was also good in Blood Diamond.

I thought Leo was utterly fantastic in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, but then Titanic came along and his fame exploded, and I think it came at the wrong time in my life, because I've yet to forgive him for being the object of desire of every girl I liked at college...

I like the look of Marley and Me. Any good ?.

I saw that today and it made me cry. I don't normally cry at films (not a macho thing, I watched nightmare on elm street when I was 6 or 7 and it gave me nightmares and in comforting me and making me aware it was just a film I developed an emotional distance from films, so never cried). In recent years as I get older I've been welling up more (even at the most trite of movies) and today was the first movie to make a tear roll down my cheek. It was really good, but take some tissues.

I also saw Young Victoria. I did enjoy this, but it felt like it ended just as the story was getting going, but perhaps I expected more of a historical drama along the lines of Elizabeth and not a romance film. Still, very good.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here