Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Slumdog Millionaire - Absolutely wonderful. Like 'City of God' meets 'Usual Suspects' with a twist of Rom-Com. The best thing I've seen in ages. 9 and some more out of 10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Cute little teen romance that may be better on the small screen. It may have kept to the usual cliches of teen romance movies, but it did them in a way that felt original. I may have developed a crush on Kat Dennings and been a little jealous she didn't end up with me...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bolt 3D
It was cute (though more pro-dog and a little anti-cat). It didn't seem to rely too much on 3D shots (i.e. there weren't many scenes that I recall that felt like they were put in just because the film is 3D. I wouldn't rate it among pixar's best, but it was good.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
This was long and felt it. I didn't really enjoy it. It seemed like Benjamin would de-age 20 years, and Cate Blanchett would age 2 in the same period of time. The story just seemed to go on and on, and I don't know, maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.

Doubt
I did enjoy this, it was as well acted as one would expect. My only issue is in the final scene. I don't know what exactly it is that bothers me, I don't know if it is the line, Meryl Streep's delivery, or the... how to put it.. the character moment (?). It just felt clunky.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Bolt 3D
It was cute (though more pro-dog and a little anti-cat). It didn't seem to rely too much on 3D shots (i.e. there weren't many scenes that I recall that felt like they were put in just because the film is 3D. I wouldn't rate it among pixar's best, but it was good.

It's not a Pixar film. The link is because the old head of Pixar Studios, John Lasster, recently moved over to also become the head of the Disney animation department, which has been shit for quite a long time now (hands up who loved Home on the Range, Treasure Planet, Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons - anyone?). This is the first film Disney have produced since he took his position there, hence the link with Pixar. I'm looking forward to seeing Bolt, apparently it's already a marked improvement on recent Disney. I also applaud the fact that Lasseter is going to be producing some new Disney 2D animation, just because we can do CG cartoons now, doesn't mean we can't also have the more traditional hand drawn films.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's not a Pixar film. The link is because the old head of Pixar Studios, John Lasster, recently moved over to also become the head of the Disney animation department, which has been shit for quite a long time now (hands up who loved Home on the Range, Treasure Planet, Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons - anyone?). This is the first film Disney have produced since he took his position there, hence the link with Pixar. I'm looking forward to seeing Bolt, apparently it's already a marked improvement on recent Disney. I also applaud the fact that Lasseter is going to be producing some new Disney 2D animation, just because we can do CG cartoons now, doesn't mean we can't also have the more traditional hand drawn films.

I didn't say it was a pixar, I said I wouldn't rate it among pixar's best, just like I won't rate it among miramax's best, or WB's best.... :jester:

*hopes that covers my error*

Yeah, I discovered that shortly after posting, but had left this board so forgot to correct it. :dunce: @ me

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
John Travolta has said that he will be available to do a Bolt 3D sequel. Disney are also releasing Toy Story 3D this year with the follow up Toy Story 3D 2 scheduled for next year.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I didn't say it was a pixar, I said I wouldn't rate it among pixar's best, just like I won't rate it among miramax's best, or WB's best.... :jester:

*hopes that covers my error*

Yeah, I discovered that shortly after posting, but had left this board so forgot to correct it. :dunce: @ me

It doesn't! :dunce::p

Finally got round to seeing The Motorcycle Diaries last night - very fine film, Gael Garcia Bernal is a fantastic actor. Much better than the tedious "Che" as well.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I've just ordered the digitally restored version of "How The West Was Won" and "Caligula Imperial Edition" (includes the uncut version as the BBFC now considers this as an arthouse classic) from play.com as Postman Prat nicked the dvds I previously ordered from Amazon.
I am considering renting dvds from LoveFilm , are they any good regarding sending dvds out and customer service etc ?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
watched Benjamin Button today - a hopeless, tedious, bore of a film. fails on all levels, an absolute shocker! however, i would highly recommend The Wrestler and The Reader, both of which exceeded expectations.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Going to see Benjamin Button today, not sure I am looking forward to it now based on some of the responses on here :(

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am considering renting dvds from LoveFilm , are they any good regarding sending dvds out and customer service etc ?

I often post mine back on a monday and receive my next disc on wednesday. However, unlike Amazon, you can't specifically order the dvds you receive, you can't order your preference by number, it's just three levels of urgency, which can be a touch annoying.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I thought Benjamin Button was a brilliant film, infact I would go as far as saying it's one of the best films i've seen in the last few years.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I thought Benjamin Button was a brilliant film, infact I would go as far as saying it's one of the best films i've seen in the last few years.

Seconded.

I had my reservations as I'm not a HUGE fan of Brad Pitt. Although it's a long film, for the first time in years I never once found myself looking at my watch to see how long was left of the film, simply because I was enjoying it that much.

Certainly the best film I've seen at the cinema in the last 12 months.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Slumdog Millionaire - Absolutely wonderful. Like 'City of God' meets 'Usual Suspects' with a twist of Rom-Com. The best thing I've seen in ages. 9 and some more out of 10

In a way. I wouldn't compare The Usual Suspects as there isn't much of a twist in Slumdog Millionaire.

Great film.

Shame that City of God didn't get the same profile as Slumdog Millionaire is getting.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Eden Lake

This is a british horror and my Gid its grim. Infact probably one of the most depressing films of all time. The thing is that is exactly yhe response the director wanted. It is a tense , well acted, horrific film about a couple away for a quiet week end in rural England who are set upon by 6 teenage chavs. The key moment being the guy fronts up to the chavs and the leader's Dog get accidentally killed.

After that moment all hell breaks lose with a particularly horrific and difficult scene to watch with the Man getti g stabbed one by one by the chavs, as hard to watch as the flagellation scene in The Passion of the Christ.

The end is bleak but explians why the chavs are as they are. I will say no more. If you have the stomch watch it , it is a statement on the chav culture and parenting and a wake up call.

The lesson to be learned is so matter how much the chavs behaviour annoys and disgusts you, walk away. Sad but true.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Agreed. Not sure why there was any negativity towards it on here, I thought it was excellent, long indeed but well worth it. I urge others to go and see it.

Good time for film at the moment, I have seen four films this year so far and loved all of them: Slumdog, Wrestler, Nick and Norah, Benjamin Button.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Agreed. Not sure why there was any negativity towards it on here, I thought it was excellent, long indeed but well worth it. I urge others to go and see it.

Good time for film at the moment, I have seen four films this year so far and loved all of them: Slumdog, Wrestler, Nick and Norah, Benjamin Button.

I think I may just have been in the wrong mood for it.

I agree it's been a great year. So far I've seen 15 films at the cinema (saw one of them twice, so 16 visits). I think at this point last year I'd seen 6.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

well, it's all about opinons but...imo Pitt had zero charisma in the role and seemed to be sleepwalking, Blanchett was utterly unlikeable, the "aging" (and anti aging) was poor (except for a teenage Pitt). i like slow, drawn out, character films but nothing interesting happened. at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here