Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFS Barnes!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This really is a load of bollocks.

When people are proved wrong, they go quiet, they don't tell everyone they were right all along. So in the case of Barnes, it is now the people who always liked him who are shouting from the rooftops, not people who were Barnes detractors. And that's because it's a forum - you know, with lots of DIFFERENT people having their own opinions on things.
Maybe I'm overstating it.
But I still bet there are plenty who have very quickly jumped ship.

My point is it's great to have loads of different opinions, just own it if you might just have been wrong.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This really is a load of bollocks.

When people are proved wrong, they go quiet, they don't tell everyone they were right all along. So in the case of Barnes, it is now the people who always liked him who are shouting from the rooftops, not people who were Barnes detractors. And that's because it's a forum - you know, with lots of DIFFERENT people having their own opinions on things.

Yeah, I agree with this. I always loved Barnes, and defended him to the hilt on here and in the real World. At times, people responded as if I was a bit 'special' or bloody minded - it was so obvious to them that I was wrong.

It used to annoy me enormously to see him putting in a great shift and then to read on NSC that he had been useless because he had mis-controlled the ball a couple of times, and missed an open goal (which was usually a difficult half chance).

With Barnes, it didn't matter how well he played, the usual suspects would always be very vocal in their criticism. It pissed me off then, and it pisses me off now.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
At the Albion, and I'm sure it's true at other clubs too, there is usually a lightning rod for dissatisfaction. It's always been that way, from the likes of Teddy Maybank, Malcolm Poskett, Neil McNab, Robert Codner, John Crumplin, and in time that role passed duly passed to Ashley Barnes.

My view is that he was a 6 or 7 out of 10 player, so I wasn't a huge fan, but always thought he showed effort and commitment, and was certainly a team man, playing the role that the manager laid out for him without moaning (apart from at refs). He did have a temper when younger, though that has noticeably improved over time. At the same time there have been players who I thought were better, and worse (Liam Dickenson, Ryan Harley, Steven Dobbie, who cost more and delivered far less come to mind).

What I could never fathom though were those amongst his distractors who thought he was a 0 or 1 out of 10 player, who actively wanted him to fail, miss chances, because proving themselves to be 'right' was more important in their heads than the Albion winning and Barnes playing well. The criticism levelled at him was disproportionate to his alleged crimes, and I think that was what led to the binfestery that arises every time he scores a goal or receives praise in the media. It was the spiteful, vindictive nature of the abuse aimed at him that caused many to rise to his defence.

I'm surprised that he's done so well in the PL, but pleasantly surprised. He's added strength to his game and now seems capable of playing a centre forward role that many, including former Albion managers, thought was beyond him.

People who know him speak highly of him as being a nice lad, no airs and graces, devoted to his family, and I genuinely wish him all the best at Burnley, and hope they stay up, not because of AB, but because Sean Dyche comes across as a level headed and decent manager, and I have friends up here who support the club all of whom are good guys. There's some plums amongst their support base, but no more or less than there are at other clubs.

My point is it's great to have loads of different opinions, just own it if you might just have been wrong.

Like you did with CMS you mean?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

You're not overstating anything, you're just coming up with absolute crap. If you BET "plenty" have quickly jumped ship, then you won't mind siting just ONE example of this then, will you?

Your point is moot, because you haven't (and probably can't) provide just one example of people changing their opinion in hindsight. It's a really poor, tiresome and utterly pointless, "look at me" rant on your part. And no, I'm not overstating anything there either.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're not overstating anything, you're just coming up with absolute crap. If you BET "plenty" have quickly jumped ship, then you won't mind siting just ONE example of this then, will you?

Your point is moot, because you haven't (and probably can't) provide just one example of people changing their opinion in hindsight. It's a really poor, tiresome and utterly pointless, "look at me" rant on your part. And no, I'm not overstating anything there either.
Ok in the spirit of the point being made, I shall own my tiresome look at me rant, and accept the fact it's OTT.

The point I should have made, and it is there between getting carried away, is 'why doesn't that happen?'.
Why should posters have to be outed our go quiet.

Why can't those that said:-
He'll be on loan at Orient (or whatever league one team), before christmas, say 'blimey I got that so wrong'.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I'm really pleased for Ashley. I liked him when he was with us and found the vitriolic abuse he received from the more excitable fans utterly bemusing. He always put in the effort, was obviously able to follow the managers plan and scored some useful goals.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Looked over that old Barnes thread and quite happy with my input. There are some absolute CORKERS on there with people writing off Barnes' future career as a footballer.

My smugness rating has gone through the roof. :lolol:

"Barnes impressed me for 2 reasons:
1 - finally he is allowed in his preferred centre forward position and he scores in a minute and then occupies the defenders for the second. It was an absolute JOY to see the ball knocked up to the front man and have it STICK to him. Chest control was lovely and some excellent little lay offs. I remember one bad pass by him in the first half.

2 - second half he is clearly swapped with Buckley to halt the threat of Jamie Ward who looks dangerous on the Derby left. There is no head down after being moved. There is the same old barnes running all the way back to help his team out. Heading away 2 or 3 corners also in the second half.

THEN after all that he STILL gets up the pitch for a break away (even though he's shattered), is caught by the defender but still has te awareness to play in another attacker (I believe orlandi eventually missed from close range) and people COMPLAIN about what he did! He's just cleared a corner and run the length of the PITCH.

If he'd scored a hat trick of tap ins people would complain they were easy. It's sad but it's true."

I'm really pleased for Ashley. I liked him when he was with us and found the vitriolic abuse he received from the more excitable fans utterly bemusing. He always put in the effort, was obviously able to follow the managers plan and scored some useful goals.

This.

Barnes was quality here, could play to the managers system even when it meant playing out of position, had a pretty decent first touch and never seemed to run around in ever decreasing circles.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Let's just tell it as it is eh!

A good number of fans think they know how the game should be played.
A good number of fans think they know how the players should play.
A good number of fans think they know who is a good player and who isn't.
A good number of fans know f***all but think they do.
A good number of fans are now absent from the Amex.
A good number of fans should look at Ashley Barnes in the Premiership and wonder 'how did we get it so wrong'.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
I used to like Ashley Barnes at the Albion - I couldnt believe the stick he got - he was top scorer in 2011-12 and STILL got a load of abuse from many around me. He always put in a shift, yet the amount of times I heard the phrase "not even Championship standard, and never will be" ... as if, just because a lot of people say it, it must be true. well - I'm dead chuffed for the lad now. I just wish we'd kept him.

Oddly - all of those things are now being said about Jake Forster- Caskey (who I admit, is not at Barnes level) - why do the fans always have to have a general hate figure? It doesnt make any sense to me - If the lad is wearing the shirt, Im on his side.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oddly - all of those things are now being said about Jake Forster- Caskey (who I admit, is not at Barnes level) - why do the fans always have to have a general hate figure? It doesnt make any sense to me - If the lad is wearing the shirt, Im on his side.
As [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] says we've always had one.
Irrespective of the squad, the standard we played, etc, Brighton fans (I don't know if it's a football wide thing) have always needed a player to get on the back off.

I'm part of the bottom wrung of the ladder, that being the audible Gardener groan, a ladder which elevates right up to shouting abuse during a minutes silence (Codnor - for the kidz).

The self fulfilling prophecy is an odd form of encouragement, which can then lead to threads like this, when a player is given confidence and freedom to express themselves.

kurt

Jan 9, 2014
Just to clarify a couple of things regarding the fee and Ashley's improvement.

Burnley paid 450k up front. (Easily traced on BFC accounts as it was the only fee paid out last season)

There was a £150K promotion bonus paid as agreed.

BHA are still due £150k in appearance based add ons which will arrive in due course.

Barnes was a good player when he arrived at Burnley but Dyche and his staff have worked on him and he is now a much more rounded centre forward with an uncanny ability to make the ball stick up top. Ings, Vokes and Austin will all vouch for the coaching staffs' ability and it has worked wonders for Ashley.

Good luck to BHA for the rest of the season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Barnes was a good player when he arrived at Burnley but Dyche and his staff have worked on him and he is now a much more rounded centre forward with an uncanny ability to make the ball stick up top.
On what do you base your opinion of Ashley's qualities at Brighton?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I used to like Ashley Barnes at the Albion - I couldnt believe the stick he got - he was top scorer in 2011-12 and STILL got a load of abuse from many around me. He always put in a shift, yet the amount of times I heard the phrase "not even Championship standard, and never will be" ... as if, just because a lot of people say it, it must be true. well - I'm dead chuffed for the lad now. I just wish we'd kept him.

One of the worst aspects of 'my fellow' fans. The other is having a slightly parochial attitude being tucked away from the football capitals

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
One of the worst aspects of 'my fellow' fans. The other is having a slightly parochial attitude being tucked away from the football capitals

All you ever do is have a dig at every post - you need to CHILL out a lot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here