Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFS Barnes!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Pity so many have left in the past couple of years who seemed to care/had some affinity to the club, and the squad seemed to have been built and melded together rather than just thrown together in a seemingly desperate way at the last minute and bolstered up with half a dozen loan players, when these clearly weren't up to scratch.

Exactly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A lot of people seemed to enjoy total blindness when Barnes was here.
That's fine, it's those that now decide 'it was everyone else who was anti-Barnes, not me'.
Or tip-toe around the fact that 12 months earlier they were loud loud wrong.

It's a knobby message board, for knobby people to be loud, and knobby, if they so wish.
It doesn't matter when you're loud wrong so just own it, you knobs.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Earlier today, visiting friends but keeping an eye on all scores, I said to the lad ' Man City 2...Burnley 2' and he smiled, knowing I would not have mentioned it otherwise, and replied 'number 9 Ashley Barnes!' Nice one Ashley.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's fine, it's those that now decide 'it was everyone else who was anti-Barnes, not me'.
Or tip-toe around the fact that 12 months earlier they were loud loud wrong.

It's a knobby message board, for knobby people to be loud, and knobby, if they so wish.
It doesn't matter when you're loud wrong so just own it, you knobs.

Is this your way of coming out?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
In the promotion season Murray only scored a couple more than Barnes - never got the credit he deserved. Good luck to him.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
I thought he was one of our weakest players during Poyets last season. With a slightly better striker to have accompanied Ulloa we might have made the Premier. He wasn't crap though. If he came back now he would be one of our stars.
That's because we are pants at the moment.

That was nonsense, I'm old and all the old geezers around me felt the same, I used to say same on here all the people who hate Barnes are the follow the ball merchants, anyone who watched movement understood his value. The reason we didn't go up was because poyet didn't pick him in the home tie against Palace when he came on he tried to repair the damage done by the sit back inertia of the tactics during the prev 70 mins.

But either way like with Glenn Murray and the idiocy that led him go on a free transfer it cant be reversed now.

PS Barnes left because of the management's apathy in offering him a decent proper contract. Lets hope from now we might start moving forward again, because we arent the only club who mess up with players...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is this your way of coming out?
No I'm sorry El Pres not his time.

It just gets right on my tits when people would rather turn on themselves than lose imaginary kudos on here.
Ive not read the thread but I bet there's not many of us who have stated negative opinions on Barnes.

Whereas you can pick any thread with Barnes in the title from 12-18 months ago, and find loads of foul abuse, from the same people each time.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I
That was nonsense, I'm old and all the old geezers around me felt the same, I used to say same on here all the people who hate Barnes are the follow the ball merchants, anyone who watched movement understood his value. The reason we didn't go up was because poyet didn't pick him in the home tie against Palace when he came on he tried to repair the damage done by the sit back inertia of the tactics during the prev 70 mins.

But either way like with Glenn Murray and the idiocy that led him go on a free transfer it cant be reversed now.

PS Barnes left because of the management's apathy in offering him a decent proper contract. Lets hope from now we might start moving forward again, because we arent the only club who mess up with players...

I'll repeat it again. I did not hate Barnes but he was not as good as Ulloa up front so he was often played in that deeper role. I agree we lacked conviction against Palace at home, but that was Poyets way. Was our midfield strong enough to have playes two up front all the time. In leagle one yes but probably not in the Championship.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No I'm sorry El Pres not his time.

It just gets right on my tits when people would rather turn on themselves than lose imaginary kudos on here.
Ive not read the thread but I bet there's not many of us who have stated negative opinions on Barnes.

Whereas you can pick any thread with Barnes in the title from 12-18 months ago, and find loads of foul abuse, from the same people each time.

If you read this thread, you'll find a link to a previous thread, where the posts are not from the same people. I had many a battle with @MrBurns who hasn't been seen for over 12 months now.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

the previous 160 mins really.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
£300 a week more sounds like good value to me

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The club did exactly the same with Murray but so many chose to blame the manager rather than the club.

One slight difference was we kept Murray for the whole season. The goals he scored between the end of January and the end of the season made the difference between Winning the division at a canter, and finishing in the play offs. Sure, we missed out on a transfer fee, but how much did we make from promotion? According to an article on here recently, dropping to the Championship would cost us at least a couple of million. Would we really have got that much for Murray back then? I doubt it, so you have to say while we didn't get a transfer fee, the club as a whole was better off for keeping him.

We will never know what difference it would have made to have had Barnes until the end of the season, but hey, we got 450-750k for him, so result, eh?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One slight difference was we kept Murray for the whole season. The goals he scored between the end of January and the end of the season made the difference between Winning the division at a canter, and finishing in the play offs. Sure, we missed out on a transfer fee, but how much did we make from promotion? According to an article on here recently, dropping to the Championship would cost us at least a couple of million. Would we really have got that much for Murray back then? I doubt it, so you have to say while we didn't get a transfer fee, the club as a whole was better off for keeping him.

We will never know what difference it would have made to have had Barnes until the end of the season, but hey, we got 450-750k for him, so result, eh?

The problem was the club wouldn't offer contracts until the end of the season and then revealed that El-Abd had been given a contract extension. The club left it too late, maybe not even realising that his agent might have been shopping around for other openings. Millwall was also interested.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Yeah, was pretty mixed views on that at the time, plenty thought it was good to get that when he would have left for nothing. With hindsight, the dross we've signed up front to replace him and then Ulloa, we should have tried a lot harder to keep him. Even if he only scored 12 goals a season, I can confidently predict none of our current squad will hit that total this season. Good luck to him I say, a decent pay rise and playing and holding his own against the best in the country, he's done well and I don't begrudge him that. The club didn't seem to be that interested in keeping him, and a chunk of the support didn't rate him. Despite his petulance, whenever I watched him, he gave his all, wherever he was selected to play. Can't say the same for a number of the current crop. David Burke should be ashamed at our playing squad and should have fallen on his sword rather than waiting to be sacked imho. Usual thing in this country though, no-one takes responsibility for the consequences of their actions and resigns, just wait to be sacked so they get a nice pay-off. Sorry for droning on, enjoying a nice bottle of wine and don't want to go to bed !!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you read this thread, you'll find a link to a previous thread, where the posts are not from the same people. I had many a battle with @MrBurns who hasn't been seen for over 12 months now.
It's not just Barnes. it's everything.
Nobody is ever wrong, on here.

In the unlikely event of a Sami Hyypia managed team lifting The Champions League trophy (yes I know it's an extreme way to prove my point) this board will be full of comments like:-

'I knew he was a good manager'.
'We never gave him enough time'.
'I wonder how those that booed and protested are feeling now'.
'Where's your banner now?'.

It's just completely insane.
The lengths some people will go to in order to think they aren't making themselves look stupid is ridiculous, and guess what - they look so stupid doing it.

As and when CMS is shipped out to Whitehawk and still not scoring, I'll not be writing, 'well we all knew he was shitehouse'.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Seems as though everyone is/was a big fan of Barnes, very fickle this site at times :lol: I liked his effort and passion but his petulance cost us at times. If he's cut that out he'll be an asset. Another cock up by Burke but who knows he might of gone to Burnley anyway who looked favorites for automatic promotion at the time.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Dyche said: “I thought Ashley Barnes, that was arguably one of the best centre-forward performances I’ve seen in a long, long time, especially against this standard of player. You’ve got to remember his journey, he’s come from lower leagues, he’s earned and fought for the right to play at this level, so why wouldn’t he take his chance? If anyone sums up playing with freedom, he encapsulated that with an absolutely fine performance and a sublime finish.”

The pundits on Match of Day were full of praise for Ash last evening.

Funny re Ash - he really divided Brighton supporters- some of us were consistent over the years in backing him if anyone can be bothered to check postings over the last few years.

My concern is the club's judgement regarding players recruitment and departure which has left our managers with a weaker hand.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
He wasn't brilliant with the patient style weve had in the last couple of seasons, but his work rate and determination was phenomenal, - - letting a decent forward go, especially one which created more time for the midfield, just when he was about to reach his peak, was a bad oversight

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not just Barnes. it's everything.
Nobody is ever wrong, on here.

In the unlikely event of a Sami Hyypia managed team lifting The Champions League trophy (yes I know it's an extreme way to prove my point) this board will be full of comments like:-

'I knew he was a good manager'.
'We never gave him enough time'.
'I wonder how those that booed and protested are feeling now'.
'Where's your banner now?'.

It's just completely insane.
The lengths some people will go to in order to think they aren't making themselves look stupid is ridiculous, and guess what - they look so stupid doing it.

As and when CMS is shipped out to Whitehawk and still not scoring, I'll not be writing, 'well we all knew he was shitehouse'.

This really is a load of bollocks.

When people are proved wrong, they go quiet, they don't tell everyone they were right all along. So in the case of Barnes, it is now the people who always liked him who are shouting from the rooftops, not people who were Barnes detractors. And that's because it's a forum - you know, with lots of DIFFERENT people having their own opinions on things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here