Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Feral Children - what to do?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It'd be much easier for the police to do something about it if they hadn't been defunded by the Tories and their supporters for the last decade

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Blame them would stop the problem how?

They werent born that way, they learned it somehow... its a societal issue and cant be solved by blaming individuals.

As I just posted on another thread, Brits are totally confused about the relation between age and criminal responsibility, and are torn between beating kids, beating parents and doing nothing. As with many other aspects of society we appear to have decided that doing nothing is the best plan.

I have the OP on ignore, no doubt for starting threads that do nothing other than stir up a whole load of frothing at the mouth and internet warrior frenzy, possibly with someone eventually directing us all to a helpful right wing web site that advocates castration of parents found, by genetic testing, to be likely to sire feral kids. Come on! We all know that would solve the problem!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It'd be much easier for the police to do something about it if they hadn't been defunded by the Tories and their supporters for the last decade

I find it odd that the 'lock-em-up-and-throw-away-the-key' brigade are often the same people who vote Tory and vote for police cuts and vote for the closure of courts and prisons. You cant have both.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Father of two young girls here. Absolutely terrified of what's to come with social media etc. Some of the awful stuff I went through at school is lost to time but nowadays it all recorded. I read about some of the pressures facing teenage girls and it really scares me. I'd seriously consider homeschooling and removing them from the situation as soon as they experience any sort of bullying. The whole thing makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Father of two young girls here. Absolutely terrified of what's to come with social media etc. Some of the awful stuff I went through at school is lost to time but nowadays it all recorded. I read about some of the pressures facing teenage girls and it really scares me. I'd seriously consider homeschooling and removing them from the situation as soon as they experience any sort of bullying. The whole thing makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Our 11 year old started secondary school this very morning. Mrs T has put two way phone trackers on their phones (free download from google). Nipper's Google is mum's google. Whatsapp and snapchat set up as closed groups among her chums, and parental locks to block outsiders. Very good school. Bring it on!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How is this not Feral ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There have always been, and there will always be, violent anti-social types. Always.

You'll never eradicate it.

Couple that with 12 years of cuts to police, justice, social services, mental health services (and on and on and on) and it's only going to get worse.

Cuts to youth services. Kids need an outlet and youth clubs or boys clubs used to provide that outlet. Not everyone is sporty, but there are many hobbies kids can get involved in to keep them off the streets.

Unfortunately, as has been said, some children do not know any different having been abused at home.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

I have two boys one's two months old and the other is two years old. If they end up in a difficult environment in their teenage years my plan is to head off to Nicaragua or Costa Rica for a few years of surfing and life education rather than suffer over here! Good luck to you and yours!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Twelve years of Tory government has removed the moral fibre from Britain but it's not surprising you haven't noticed from Melbourne.

Still got family in UK, still got a vote, still got financial interests there. Gonna visit again now post Covid, still got a UK (EU) passport, still got an opinion if you like it or not. Spent over 50 years of my life there, more than many overseas posters on NSC.

Suck it up gobby.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I also watched the coverage on BBC news yesterday,

It was very uncomforatable to watch.

The police are unable to respond so they get away with it.

I was thinking, ultimately this is the reponsibilty of the Home Secretary (who I hope is gone next week).

Joe Public : "Priiti our children are being filmed while being attacked and the police are doing nothing. Let's prioritise and improve our resources to keep our streets safe!"

Priti Patel : "Look, these are British kids, nothing more I can do about it. I have my hands full fighting the invasion of *illegal Asylum Seekers!"

* I appreciate there is no such thing as an illegal Asylum Seeeker but the right wing media don't know that. Priorities eh?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Still got family in UK, still got a vote, still got financial interests there. Gonna visit again now post Covid, still got a UK (EU) passport, still got an opinion if you like it or not. Spent over 50 years of my life there, more than many overseas posters on NSC.

Suck it up gobby.
To be fair I agree that location has nothing to do with it. I live an hour or so up the road from you and disagree with your view of the situation.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Suck it up gobby.

You have opinions on almost everything. None of them seem particularly informed.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
To be fair I agree that location has nothing to do with it. I live an hour or so up the road from you and disagree with your view of the situation.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Fair enough, but I would ask if you think it is the fault of one person?

Blame the Tory party by all means, the current mob are as poor as I can remember. Blame a society that has become so self interested that no one gets involved. Blame 12 years (?) of Conservative government, but one person, really? And to question whether the behaviour is feral is blindness that can only be driven by a desire to make an inaccurate political point surely?

Is it raining there yet by the way?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Blame the Tory party by all means, the current mob are as poor as I can remember. Blame a society that has become so self interested that no one gets involved. Blame 12 years (?) of Conservative government, but one person, really? And to question whether the behaviour is feral is blindness that can only be driven by a desire to make an inaccurate political point surely?

Isnt it your bed time yet?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I didn't read GB's post as blaming one person, more that he was suggesting that nothing will change under her leadership. I am sad to say that I agree with this.

No rain yet, but it usually hits us before Melbourne. It may have rained here today though, I was in Melbourne for most of the day.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’m a Dad that’s witnessed this, it started for her age about 7. You’re right to feel that way, it’s widespread, the internet giving no refuge behind closed doors at home. Tips:

- take all electronic devices from them at least an hour before bed.
- communicate with schools in person very early doors.
- don’t be afraid to change schools if they’re more interested into “building resilience” (AKA not being tough on the bullies).
- give your kids/teens a life packed with stuff other than the internet - watch movies together, see the outside world with them.
- be their non-judgemental best friend. So at any age they can come to you for advice, love, share their emotions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Taser the feckers

I am the 21st century equivalent of "make them do National Service" :wink:

Old fashioned enough to blame the parents too. or lack of them. Solution? I actually have no idea if I am going to be serious.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Well, my daughter has not long turned 18 and seems to have safely negotiated the modern world of childhood mainly through her own choices rather than anything we've ever done. She's been shy of social media recognising she didn't want her image shared etc. but nothing we actually imposed. I coached her girls football team from about U13 to to U16, and I don't think I heard any of them having any social media issues or her wider friend group. She's always been happy to have her 'find my iphone' turned on so we know where she is, and she's always been given a fair amount of independence and trust.

Everyone makes their own choices, but I think schools are still generally positive environments for developing social skills, making friends and of course learning. Got to try to be led by the good rather than fear of the bad I've always felt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here