Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Feral Children - what to do?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Police, Parents or Parliaments problem?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62722082

Any worse than ‘back in the day’? Bullying always gone on. It’s the pack element of this that seems more sinister. That and videoing ie revelling in / contempt towards being caught.

Anyone had to defend their kids similarly?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Once again you’ve added your own interpretive hyperbole to the thread title. Feral literally means “in a wild state”. This is a bunch of twats doing bullying for online likes.

The police need to sort it out but they’re criminally under funded and having to recruit sub standard cadets. Blame the government. New Labour are the only government to have matched their crime rhetoric to action. Truss couldn’t give a Donald Duck.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Once again you’ve added your own interpretive hyperbole to the thread title. Feral literally means “in a wild state”. This is a bunch of twats doing bullying for online likes.

The police need to sort it out but they’re criminally under funded and having to recruit sub standard cadets. Blame the government. New Labour are the only government to have matched their crime rhetoric to action. Truss couldn’t give a Donald Duck.

Those kids ARE behaving like feral scum though. Unprovoked, unwarranted, pointless blind violence. I would be utterly mortified and ashamed beyond belief if one of my children had ever behaved like this. I don't think I'd ever get over it.

Once identified, it should lead to the prosecution of the parents. They should be formally cautioned, with severe consequences if their our-of-control horrific crotch-goblins ever repeat their vile acts again.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Those kids ARE behaving like feral scum though. Unprovoked, unwarranted, pointless blind violence. I would be utterly mortified and ashamed beyond belief if one of my children had ever behaved like this. I don't think I'd ever get over it.

Once identified, it should lead to the prosecution of the parents. They should be formally cautioned, with severe consequences if their our-of-control horrific crotch-goblins ever repeat their vile acts again.

Should have boot camps for kids who do it really. Like they have in the U.S.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ban the perpetrators from the internet. A fate worse than death for these twerps.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
From the videos I’ve seen I’d say that ‘feral’ is an accurate description!

If continually kicking a kid in the head isn’t a ‘wild state’, I don’t know what is!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Hyperbole (adj):- to ‘over react’, ‘exaggerate’, ‘inflame opinion’ for the purpose of one’s gain/self importance. Origin: medieval (12th century) ‘Stout’ & ‘Boyo’, gaellic meaning ‘cause of great wind, flatulence.’

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I personally think that the nature of everyone filming every altercation has made things worse. Being 'seen' to back down or not acting as 'tough' as you make out because there is a likelihood of it being recorded and put on social media is a lot different to 'my day' when I could go back to school & say I hadn't been beaten up & I fought them off. The power of videos and social media now requires 'proof' that you did it, rather than just being backed up by your mates. The Connor Saunders campaign was definitely in schools 8 years ago in Brighton but I don't know how far reaching that was, or if t's still talked about in schools across Brighton.
No idea what to do about it. The 'never kick someone when they're down' message seems long gone though. Physically and psychologically.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Anyone remember the ‘Southwick Soldiers’?

They were doing this sort of stuff about 15 years ago. Shocking as it is to see, it is not a new phenomenon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There was a total change 20 or so years ago.

At school in the 70’s and 80’s parents didn’t go after teachers who dared criticise their kids.

I’ve teachers and a just retired head in my family. By 2000 some schools such as East Brighton and Hailsham had security at leaving time, as some parents wanted to beat up teachers who’d disciplined Chardonnay or Harry.

That poor bloke in Worthing was left with brain damage by cowardly kids with weapons, by no means an isolated incident.

These brats have been allowed to get away with blue murder from day one. Littering, vandalising, abusing the vulnerable and elderly, reading their legal rights to the police, taking what they want from others.

This was going on 20 years ago before the financial crisis.

Well done to the OP for not following the crowd and mentioning this.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
To answer the original question on the thread, we have given up on early intervention in this country through things like Sure Start and beginning to pay the price. If the Police have to get involved then the system has already failed.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
To answer the original question on the thread, we have given up on early intervention in this country through things like Sure Start and beginning to pay the price. If the Police have to get involved then the system has already failed.

Very good point. I was amazed that the Police are called almost every day to a nearby school according to their secretary. Teachers unable to intervene in physical altercations for fear of prosecution / accusation by kids and their parents. Instant suspension, lengthy procedure, stress, loss of income, reputation damage (no smoke without fire, mud sticks etc). Guilty until proved innocent essentially. Why you would want to go into teaching today I’ve no idea. Admiration yes. But seriously, you need your head looking at. Know two teachers been through this very mincer. Nearly destroyed them, and their families.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So so sad. The filming of it as well is just sick. If my kid was getting attacked like that I’d find it very hard not to smash the little ***** time and time again to be honest. Then I’d be the one in trouble no doubt. Sad times.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

...........or perhaps we should blame the c***ish little ba$tards that do these things? Sorry if that goes against anyone's agenda, but I couldn't give tuppence for such an agenda.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
...........or perhaps we should blame the c***ish little ba$tards that do these things? Sorry if that goes against anyone's agenda, but I couldn't give tuppence for such an agenda.

Blame them would stop the problem how?

They werent born that way, they learned it somehow... its a societal issue and cant be solved by blaming individuals.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Police, Parents or Parliaments problem?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62722082

Any worse than ‘back in the day’? Bullying always gone on. It’s the pack element of this that seems more sinister. That and videoing ie revelling in / contempt towards being caught.

Anyone had to defend their kids similarly?

"Happy slapping" is about 20 years old, it isn't new for kids to film and post random acts of violence. As a teenager in Crawley in the 80's, it was not unheard of to be jumped by a group, just because they could.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So so sad. The filming of it as well is just sick. If my kid was getting attacked like that I’d find it very hard not to smash the little ***** time and time again to be honest. Then I’d be the one in trouble no doubt. Sad times.

I bet the kids that do this have a parent that smashes the little ***** time and time again to be honest.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
"Happy slapping" is about 20 years old, it isn't new for kids to film and post random acts of violence. As a teenager in Crawley in the 80's, it was not unheard of to be jumped by a group, just because they could.

Are you then saying it should have been resolved 20 years ago? Or take action now to prevent another 20years of? Or take no action because eg kids will be kids?

It’s difficult to answer. But really it’s a society problem because we all lose. We can’t go backwards to corporal punishment and Borstals. But what’s the way forward? I’d say a fair percentage of parents - perhaps some on here - have lost,, or aren’t interested in, control at home, never mind out of.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's a problem when you have a society of youngsters aware of their rights and not their responsibilities.

It's also a problem when you have a feral underclass that simply mirrors a feral elite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here