Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Far-Right National Front Stuns French Elite With EU 'Earthquake'

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
One thing which does puzzle me is that I really do not think europe is the biggest issue facing the country at the moment. The economy is still pants, manufacturing is almost non-existant, the schools are an incoherent jumble of free schools and academies and **** knows what, London airports need sorting out and the nation is being to ransom by the power companies. Yet something which you cannot do a lot about in the short to medium term is still top of the pile. Is the EU really the big ticket issue? Would all the energy and time spent on the EU not be better places elsewhere at this precise moment?
One thing that puzzles me is why you try to divert attention away from the EU. The economy
Is actually on the up. My job is a good barometer of that and i'm flat out. I don't know if you know but the schools in this country were ranked 6th recently. As for the power companies holding the country to ransom 4 of the 6 big companies are owned by German and French companies. Which then rip off the British public while keeping the supply cheaper in their own backyard.

Flex Your Head

Why do you post your opinions as fact? The EU is just a bottomless pit of dishonesty and corruption. Better that it collapse now than later. A referendum in this country at any time will vote OUT.

Why do you post your opinions as fact?

More Brits want to stay in the EU than leave, and the gap between the two groups is currently growing.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/11/uk-britain-politics-europe-idUKBREA2A0TQ20140311

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/22/uk-eu-elections-britain-idUKKBN0E21N320140522

"The YouGov survey put support for UKIP, which wants Britain to leave the EU, on 27 percent, ahead of all other parties. But paradoxically it said 42 percent of those polled would vote to stay in the EU if given the chance and 37 percent to leave."

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why do you post your opinions as fact?

More Brits want to stay in the EU than leave, and the gap between the two groups is currently growing.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/11/uk-britain-politics-europe-idUKBREA2A0TQ20140311

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/22/uk-eu-elections-britain-idUKKBN0E21N320140522

"The YouGov survey put support for UKIP, which wants Britain to leave the EU, on 27 percent, ahead of all other parties. But paradoxically it said 42 percent of those polled would vote to stay in the EU if given the chance and 37 percent to leave."

The voting intention poll in the case of a referendum is a little odd. Presumably it would be a clear Yes/No question. Therefore their poll is flawed. It should include everyone's opinion, but 21% of the polled are not included in the results.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not quite true. He said that about Romanians and Germans

My bad; I only heard the quote 2nd hand on Question Time. But the principle of his thought being based on race still holds.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The demographics are totally changing now which means everything will have to change, I am pretty certain a year or two ago there were more black children born than white in the USA. Therefore by starting these far right theories at some point they will simply not work.

However all the while this country buys into the illusion of UKIP they will sadly thrive.

Hispanics voters are a growing percentage of US as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, now all the votes are in I think I'm correct in saying the various protest parties got 129 seats out of 751 i.e. there is still overwhelming support for the EU across the 28 members nations :thumbsup:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So, now all the votes are in I think I'm correct in saying the various protest parties got 129 seats out of 751 i.e. there is still overwhelming support for the EU across the 28 members nations :thumbsup:

So there's really nothing to worry about. The gravy train can go on and everything will be lovely. All of the political commentators must be wrong and Cameron, Miliband and Clegg should content themselves that there is nothing to be addressed.

:ffsparr:

Stumpy Tim

So there's really nothing to worry about. The gravy train can go on and everything will be lovely. All of the political commentators must be wrong and Cameron, Miliband and Clegg should content themselves that there is nothing to be addressed.

The problem for the main parties at the moment is that Farage has made Europe a one-issue problem - immigration. Europe is about way more than that. I think there's definitely work that needs to be done fixing European immigration, but that doesn't mean we need to pull out of Europe.

I haven't heard one politician say that

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

No, but democratically there is, in principle, overall support for the EU.

And I'm not quite sure what you mean by "all the political commentators must be wrong." There is plenty of balanced discussion around the continent but some nations, and people, have turned it into the single-issue of immigration.

Irish_Seagull

Mar 25, 2014
I'd happily vote front national or any other party that is anti war or pro democracy ,liberty.

I couldn't vote labour,lib dems or Tories. they target the vast uninformed, elderly or apathetic dunces that the uk is sadly famed for these days

To be a fan of any of the big three uk parties you have to as ignorant as **** on one level or another

Two million deaths in ten years is ok, but you say the N word or declare your love for your country

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I hear DC is off to the EU today to discuss reforms. We could be fooled in to thinking that the main point of going would be discuss the issues of open borders. Here is the reason below:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/23/uk-eu-candidates-cameron-idUKKBN0E30L820140523

It's bad news for DC. Bad news for the tories. Farages point is stronger than ever.
There is no reform with the EU ever.

He's a pretty weak negotiator so dont expect anything; Merkel has him in her top-pocket. Maybe he could hand out another survey? :lolol:

D

Deleted member 22389

He's a pretty weak negotiator so dont expect anything; Merkel has him in her top-pocket. Maybe he could hand out another survey? :lolol:

Merkel is a poweful women indeed. Any I'm off to reform Brighton and Hove Albion today. Will be back shortly with the news you have all been waiting for.....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

You pro-Euro types should be worried then. If these two ultra-federalists remain the only candidates then the EU will clearly not reform nor reign in its insatiable appetite for greater powers over member states. This will undoubtedly play into the hands of the euro-sceptic parties across Europe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You pro-Euro types should be worried then. If these two ultra-federalists remain the only candidates then the EU will clearly not reform nor reign in its insatiable appetite for greater powers over member states. This will undoubtedly play into the hands of the euro-sceptic parties across Europe.

But the recent elections have shown their is still support for the EU and the overt 'ever closer' direction is is going which is what these two people support. The has been a protest vote but if my 129 figure is correct this is safely under 20% of the seats available and I always expect, in any election outside of North Korea, there will be a few people with different ideas. And these two candidates were suggested long before the election so it could be argued their federalism has already been included in the protest vote?? I'm not unduly worried.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But the recent elections have shown their is still support for the EU and the overt 'ever closer' direction is is going which is what these two people support. The has been a protest vote but if my 129 figure is correct this is safely under 20% of the seats available and I always expect, in any election outside of North Korea, there will be a few people with different ideas. And these two candidates were suggested long before the election so it could be argued their federalism has already been included in the protest vote?? I'm not unduly worried.

I don't think 99% of people across Europe know or care who these two candidates are or what they are contesting and I seriously doubt it made any difference to how people voted recently. Of course though there is still support for the EU but there are countries that are deeply sceptical and even anti-EU, Britain being a prime example but the Scandinavian countries also (there's a reason why neither Denmark nor Sweden are in the Euro). It's these countries that will use the tag of 'federalism' as a stick to beat the pro-EU lobby with because they know it goes down well with their target audience.

If either ultra-federalist go on to lead the EU and proceed with a federalist agenda then it's inconceivable that this will help persuade floating voters in the Euro-sceptic countries. And if Britain votes to leave the EU then it's very likely that Sweden and Denmark would follow suit with a referendum and the distinct possibility that they would leave also. And then there's Greece. The people there are barely containing their anger at the austerity measure imposed by Merkel. I do wonder if they had a referendum how it would go. If Britain leaves the EU it could cause a domino effect and your European dream could be over.

You might not be unduly worried. Francois Hollande is.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Not wishing to particularly jump either way on this but there is a specific aspect of human psychology that may play an important part here.

However you feel about UKIP and/or FN, they are essentially a protest vote and do well in "unimportant" elections but fail to generate significant support for the "big game".

This is typical of herd mentality. When the stakes are low, people will risk appearing out of step with the mass, but once you raise the stakes, people huddle together in what they know to be "safe" decisions.

There is however, a critical mass/waterfall effect, whereby the decision previously seen as outlandish (or "protest") becomes increasing accepted as a valid response. Suddenly, in the high stakes decision making, the previously unattractive decision can become mainstream.

I would suggest that your 20% is somewhere close to (but not quite at) this tipping point, in that all the people who really wanted to protest but are generally sheep, suddenly see other sheep going the way they really want. Once you pass the tipping point then the numbers snowball and walls, in some cases, are literally torn down.

My personal view is that I'd rather have more attractive alternative to be the "protest" vote that becomes the mainstream one and truly breaks up the current establishment for the benefit of the electorate. Something akin to a "Metro Bank" for politics. It is a bank and it does all the normal banking thing - its not a one-trick pony, it just operates with a different attitude to the established ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here