Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fans preview in The Guardian

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They kept looking in real trouble with Howe (one win in his first ten games) until they signed players for like £70m in January and started winning...

Not saying Howe did a bad job but pretty sure they'd be just fine without him as long as they're splashing cash.

Sure; but the point is that they splashed the cash sensibly. Howe, on the whole, bought experienced PL players who brought stability to the team.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Indeed, that was my point. No Brighton fan except a very very recent one would have written that preview. Fair enough, recent fans are as much entitled to their opinion as anybody - but I don't want to see it in the national press with other people thinking that it remotely reflects the views of the fanbase as a whole. Gwylan said that Lady Bracknell used to do it, dunno why she stopped. I guess it was too much faff to ask her and they just asked around the office and found somebody with no real interest in football who just happens to live in Brighton.

I think the fan (who i wont name) has been writing fan previews about the Albion and she has been contributing to the Guardian/Observer doing this sort of thing for at least 10 years. This is pretty insulting stuff about someone who you don't know who's written a fairly innocuous season preview.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think the fan (who i wont name) has been writing fan previews about the Albion and she has been contributing to the Guardian/Observer doing this sort of thing for at least 10 years. This is pretty insulting stuff about someone who you don't know who's written a fairly innocuous season preview.

I don't know why it's 'insulting', as I don't feel I was particularly rude, but anyway, tough. It's just my opinion of a review that I don't agree with and yes I could do better.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don't know why it's 'insulting', as I don't feel I was particularly rude, but anyway, tough. It's just my opinion of a review that I don't agree with and yes I could do better.

If you'd just shared your opinion of the review then fine. Its your right to do so. You don't have to agree.
I just thought you'd crossed the line by then accusing the writer, a fellow fan, and someone who you don't know, of "having no real interest in football".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If the person who worte that review is who I think it is, we went to university together and she most definitely is a Brighton fan and was a season ticket holder during the withdean years (which was when we were at University). She absolutely has an interest in football. I'm sure if we did a thread asking the same questions, we'd have a wide range of responses.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If you'd just shared your opinion of the review then fine. Its your right to do so. You don't have to agree.
I just thought you'd crossed the line by then accusing the writer, a fellow fan, and someone who you don't know, of "having no real interest in football".

Again, just my opinion as that's how it came across. And I stand by it. Hopefully they'll get somebody better next year.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
She absolutely has an interest in football. I'm sure if we did a thread asking the same questions, we'd have a wide range of responses.

I'm sure we would but I bet when asked which players would improve a team that finished 9th in PL, not many would say a full back who wasn't deemed good enough for the top division and our fifth best centre back.

I'd imagine messrs Ward, Zamora, Robinson, Gotsmanov, Murray, Vicente and Lawrenson would feature heavily however.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Because your own opinions on "two players from the past who would slot right in" are more preferable in your opinion?

It's pretty subjective stuff. No, scratch that - it is entirely subjective.

In another post on this thread you wrote "but I don't want to see it in the national press with other people thinking that it remotely reflects the views of the fanbase as a whole"... I'd like to see your own attempt at "representing the fanbase as a whole" then - think there is a fair chance someone will be opposed to your idea of the weakness of the team or the two players from the past.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's always an interesting read to see what the fans think of the forthcoming season but this year's is very unusual.

For a start, not a single fan has named Brighton as a team to go down - I'm pretty sure that's the first time that's happened

I saw some bloke on Twitter telling people to lump on us for the drop because we've lost Bissouma and will lose Cucurella. I suppose from an outsider's point of view the departure of arguably our 2 best players does look dodgy - but we know we've got the midfielders in place and every faith that Uncle Tony will bring us in a defender if GP thinks it's necessary.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Because your own opinions on "two players from the past who would slot right in" are more preferable in your opinion?

It's pretty subjective stuff. No, scratch that - it is entirely subjective.

In another post on this thread you wrote "but I don't want to see it in the national press with other people thinking that it remotely reflects the views of the fanbase as a whole"... I'd like to see your own attempt at "representing the fanbase as a whole" then - think there is a fair chance someone will be opposed to your idea of the weakness of the team or the two players from the past.

See the post above yours, #48

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm sure we would but I bet when asked which players would improve a team that finished 9th in PL, not many would say a full back who wasn't deemed good enough for the top division and our fifth best centre back.

I'd imagine messrs Ward, Zamora, Robinson, Gotsmanov, Murray, Vicente and Lawrenson would feature heavily however.

She'd actually floated the idea of Calderon coming back to coach us alongside Bruno. Hardly the most outrageous answer to a fairly light hearted question .
And the question wasn't which players would "improve the team" - it was "2 players from the past who would slot right in". Blimey i've read dozens of people on here bemoaning us selling Dan Burn and they haven't been accused off the bat of "having no real interest in football". Sorry . i just don't think its fair or justified .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Guardian Football Weekly Podcast preview

Max - 11th
Nedum Omucha - 'going in the other direction' 'draw too many' 'no goals' 14th
Troy Townsend - 'no goals' 'over play' 15th
Baz - 'goals' 'losing Potter' 11th

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

Three of those players haven’t played for Brighton for about 40 years and another was 30 years ago. You’d have to be of a certain vintage to pick any of them - unless you pick on reputation but personally I’d only pick players I’ve seen live.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Three of those players haven’t played for Brighton for about 40 years and another was 30 years ago. You’d have to be of a certain vintage to pick any of them - unless you pick on reputation but personally I’d only pick players I’ve seen live.

You wouldn't have to be that old. I was talking specifically about NSC and knowing the rough age range of the site, I reckon that most people on NSC would have seen them play

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You wouldn't have to be that old. I was talking specifically about NSC and knowing the rough age range of the site, I reckon that most people on NSC would have seen them play

Most here would have been at their christenings.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

You're probably right but the writer/fan WASN"T ASKED "which players would improve a team that finished 9th in PL" so its a bit moot whether they are Peter Ward or Leo Ulloa or Bobby Smith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here