Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fans preview in The Guardian

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Yeah, he was one of the only two managers to get two votes (Smug Eddie was the other). I think you're right and he won't be there by the end of the season

I see the Eddie angle but they seem to be going about things the right way much to my annoyance and surprise. Ashworth is an obvious example of them building from the bottom up as well as signing the likes of Pope, Targett and Burn who are Premier League players albeit who won't take them the next step up.

I am sure the rumours will be around all year but Eddie could still be employed this time next year if they do well enough. Which, again is a shame.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No weaknesses & the players we’d like back are Burn & Calderon?

Christ :facepalm:

Yeah, I thought that. Written by somebody who only saw the last two home games and has read the odd thread on NSC about Calderon and Bruno. (And even if that isn't true and someone says the author has been a fan since the 1940s and hasn't missed a match since 1963 - they certainly give the appearance of being a very very new fan).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see the Eddie angle but they seem to be going about things the right way much to my annoyance and surprise. Ashworth is an obvious example of them building from the bottom up as well as signing the likes of Pope, Targett and Burn who are Premier League players albeit who won't take them the next step up.

I am sure the rumours will be around all year but Eddie could still be employed this time next year if they do well enough. Which, again is a shame.

I agree with this. Newcastle have surprised me a bit: I thought they'd splurge their wonga like sailors on shore leave, signing up every Tom, Dick and Carlos available but they've been thoughtful and measured about the way they're developing. Howe has done a decent job so far and I see no reason why he's heading for the chop.

The only other two managers mentioned were Cooper (and I can't see him getting the boot, he's worked wonders at Forest) and Hasenhuettl (who'd have been my choice if I'd been asked). I certainly reckon he's on borrowed time

el punal

Whoops, cheers, will edit. I was born in 79 so don't have first-hand memories of it

No worries! I was working in Manchester in 1978 and went to Maine Road in April to see Man City take on Forest. It ended 0-0, Forest were a classy outfit - a superb team with no stars and mainly journey men players. I believe Peter Shilton was in goal then and Clough then signed Trevor Francis in the close season for £1million. :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah, I thought that. Written by somebody who only saw the last two home games and has read the odd thread on NSC about Calderon and Bruno. (And even if that isn't true and someone says the author has been a fan since the 1940s and hasn't missed a match since 1963 - they certainly give the appearance of being a very very new fan).

She's the person they've used for quite a few years - no idea who she is. They used to use Roz, Lady Bracknell, I don't know what happened there.

It's certainly strange to pick a right back who didn't play PL and our fourth choice CB

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Whilst Frank is an obvious choice, they do have some decent players there if they can be bothered to play. Ted Lasso at Leeds is surely on borrowed time. He got lucky last year and has lost Philips (He was injured most of last year I admit) and Raphinha. His accent doesn't help him but he seems to replace tactics with fist pumping the crowd. I don't think either of them will be there by this time next year and Leeds are bottom 3 material.

Amazed Tasso got few if any votes for 1st manager to go. Lamps everyone seems to think is toast.

Can see the Saudi's moving Smug Eddie out if things don't go really well

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I agree with this. Newcastle have surprised me a bit: I thought they'd splurge their wonga like sailors on shore leave, signing up every Tom, Dick and Carlos available but they've been thoughtful and measured about the way they're developing. Howe has done a decent job so far and I see no reason why he's heading for the chop.

The only other two managers mentioned were Cooper (and I can't see him getting the boot, he's worked wonders at Forest) and Hasenhuettl (who'd have been my choice if I'd been asked). I certainly reckon he's on borrowed time

I thought Ronaldo would be a perfect Newcastle signing. On the downgrade, overpaid enough to upset the dressing room but make the Toon army deluded enough that they could win the league. We could all then laugh at Roonies face as they get done away at Bournemouth and chortle at Newcastle being 15th in the table. Instead they ruin it all by signing Nick Pope.

I can see why you'd pick Hasenhuettl but Saints tend to recruit quite well like us. The lad From Rangers (Aribo) appears to be good value at 6 million. Equally Saints fans are pretty grounded in the main, they won't want him sacked if they get beat by Fulham at home - he's survived 2 x 9-0s already hasn't he? Time will tell. All of my predictions are probably wrong.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bit confused to see the Forest fan refer to their "mid-90s heyday". Surely their heyday was when they were winning league titles and European cups in the 80s.

[Edit - 1978-80 apparently]

The Forest fan was probably a JCL and not even alive in 1980, so completely unaware of one Mr. B. Clough esq.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
The Premier League has been littered with signings that proved to be useless for Big money especially for middling teams. Our recruitment team has been brilliant at it in recent times but even we have had our duds in Ali J and Locadia. Brenden Aaronson for example has the air of "Why did we pay 30 million for him" about him.

4 of their 5 big signings are from the Bundesliga. 2 of the 5 are American. The manager is clearly influencing the signings rather than say an extensive data driven scouting network. These players could all be in the reserves if he gets sacked. It seems Ted is putting a team to do well in Germany together not the Premier League. I suspect he will pay with his job.

2 have come from Germany, 2 from Austria and 1 from Holland. Three are from Red Bull clubs, two of whom have played for Marsch at Salzburg. Aaronson provided 3 assists in yesterdays 6 2 thrashing of Cagliari (now in Serie B) but at £30m he is pretty expensive. High risk stuff at Leeds because it does looks as if these are very much his signings as you say. They do have a fairly easy start to the season though but they lose some badly and the pressure is on.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
No worries! I was working in Manchester in 1978 and went to Maine Road in April to see Man City take on Forest. It ended 0-0, Forest were a classy outfit - a superb team with no stars and mainly journey men players. I believe Peter Shilton was in goal then and Clough then signed Trevor Francis in the close season for £1million. :thumbsup:

I suppose it depends on the terms 'journeymen' and 'stars'. Peter Shilton, Peter Withe, Archie Gemmill, Viv Anderson, Tony Woodcock, John Robertson, O'Neill - all internationals. Trouble is, at this point in time I can't remember if their 'stardom' came later than 1978 though - quite probably.

Think they won the charity shield as well, if that counts! And the League Cup. Amazing how much they won in just a short space of time.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I cant help thinking that Forest are heading the same way as Fulham... spending good money on a flurry of players, virtually building a new squad.... they keep coming up as one of my three to take the drop, along with Leeds and Brentford.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I thought Ronaldo would be a perfect Newcastle signing. On the downgrade, overpaid enough to upset the dressing room but make the Toon army deluded enough that they could win the league. We could all then laugh at Roonies face as they get done away at Bournemouth and chortle at Newcastle being 15th in the table. Instead they ruin it all by signing Nick Pope.

I can see why you'd pick Hasenhuettl but Saints tend to recruit quite well like us. The lad From Rangers (Aribo) appears to be good value at 6 million. Equally Saints fans are pretty grounded in the main, they won't want him sacked if they get beat by Fulham at home - he's survived 2 x 9-0s already hasn't he? Time will tell. All of my predictions are probably wrong.

I don’t think anyone of the stature of Ronaldo as a player would sign for Newcastle yet. They are still a work in progress and their move towards the dizzy heights - if they are ever to get there - will be incremental. Ronaldo wants Champions League football.

Although I don’t like Ronaldo, to be fair to him I don’t think he is the sort of player to go anywhere for a last big payday. He’s got more pride than that.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I don’t think anyone of the stature of Ronaldo as a player would sign for Newcastle yet. They are still a work in progress and their move towards the dizzy heights - if they are ever to get there - will be incremental. Ronaldo wants Champions League football.

Although I don’t like Ronaldo, to be fair to him I don’t think he is the sort of player to go anywhere for a last big payday. He’s got more pride than that.

100% agree on both points, and your first reminded me of this relevant video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0izXLycZZ0

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

There's only a handful of clubs that can afford his wages and I thought Newcastle might go out of their way to make a statement signing that would end up spectacularly badly. It's a real shame they are being sensible.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
2 have come from Germany, 2 from Austria and 1 from Holland. Three are from Red Bull clubs, two of whom have played for Marsch at Salzburg. Aaronson provided 3 assists in yesterdays 6 2 thrashing of Cagliari (now in Serie B) but at £30m he is pretty expensive. High risk stuff at Leeds because it does looks as if these are very much his signings as you say. They do have a fairly easy start to the season though but they lose some badly and the pressure is on.

I'm getting my Germany and Austria mixed up. That's Brexit for you. Aaronson might be a good signing and as you say the signs are there but 30 Million is a lot to find out. I think the days of "back the manager to sign the players he wants" days are gone for clubs that do well and even if it works this year they are on borrowed time for the longer term.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Eddie is a good manager and with the help of a bit of dosh, played a blinder when he took over at Newcastle. They really looked in a lot of trouble before he arrived.
It would be foolish in the extreme for Newcastle to chop Eddie if they go through a rough patch, as given time, he and Ashworth( I’ve lost track of the Ashworth/Albion saga) will, I am sure build something worthwhile for the club.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Calderon and Burn ? Vicente and Lawro at their best for me.

There are actually very few ex Players who would improve what we currently have :thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Calderon and Burn ? Vicente and Lawro at their best for me.

There are actually very few ex Players who would improve what we currently have :thumbsup:

Indeed, that was my point. No Brighton fan except a very very recent one would have written that preview. Fair enough, recent fans are as much entitled to their opinion as anybody - but I don't want to see it in the national press with other people thinking that it remotely reflects the views of the fanbase as a whole. Gwylan said that Lady Bracknell used to do it, dunno why she stopped. I guess it was too much faff to ask her and they just asked around the office and found somebody with no real interest in football who just happens to live in Brighton.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Eddie is a good manager and with the help of a bit of dosh, played a blinder when he took over at Newcastle. They really looked in a lot of trouble before he arrived.
It would be foolish in the extreme for Newcastle to chop Eddie if they go through a rough patch, as given time, he and Ashworth( I’ve lost track of the Ashworth/Albion saga) will, I am sure build something worthwhile for the club.

They kept looking in real trouble with Howe (one win in his first ten games) until they signed players for like £70m in January and started winning...

Not saying Howe did a bad job but pretty sure they'd be just fine without him as long as they're splashing cash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here