Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Fans preview in The Guardian

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's always an interesting read to see what the fans think of the forthcoming season but this year's is very unusual.

For a start, not a single fan has named Brighton as a team to go down - I'm pretty sure that's the first time that's happened

The "first manager to be sacked" question normally throws up a lot of different options. Not this year: a startling 14 of the 20 fans think that Fat Frank will be the first to be given his marching orders. I'm absolutely sure that no-one has achieved that score before.

The only fan who nominated the Amex as the best away ground was the Southampton one because they always get "a result there". I can't argue with that - we don't seem to beat them at home very often

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm disappointed we do not play Everton until the new year; I'd like to have played the Fat Frank club-in-free-fall version before he gets the boot.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yes I noticed both those things. Though the lack of predictions of our relegation worried me

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Bit confused to see the Forest fan refer to their "mid-90s heyday". Surely their heyday was when they were winning league titles and European cups in the 80s.

[Edit - 1978-80 apparently]

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Man Utd: 'Even teams like Brighton bullied us'

Will we ever shake that off?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Bit confused to see the Forest fan refer to their "mid-90s heyday". Surely their heyday was when they were winning league titles and European cups in the 80s.

I think they’re referring to Jason ‘Pineapple Head’ Lee and all the bantz about it on Fantasy Football League, or whatever that show was called.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It's always an interesting read to see what the fans think of the forthcoming season but this year's is very unusual.

For a start, not a single fan has named Brighton as a team to go down - I'm pretty sure that's the first time that's happened

The "first manager to be sacked" question normally throws up a lot of different options. Not this year: a startling 14 of the 20 fans think that Fat Frank will be the first to be given his marching orders. I'm absolutely sure that no-one has achieved that score before.

The only fan who nominated the Amex as the best away ground was the Southampton one because they always get "a result there". I can't argue with that - we don't seem to beat them at home very often

The “who will go down” was the first thing I checked. :albion2:

Bournemouth featured heavily in predictions for relegation, and Southampton were mentioned more than once (don’t tell the wife!)

And the Frank Lampard thing was embarrassing!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Man Utd: 'Even teams like Brighton bullied us'

Will we ever shake that off?

Was on the train back from Wembley last night when a woman asked my eldest what team he supports.

Got a really patronising "Awww, they're in the Premiership [sic] now innit?" response.

Told him later that it will take another decade to shake that attitude off. Tsk.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I think they’re referring to Jason ‘Pineapple Head’ Lee and all the bantz about it on Fantasy Football League, or whatever that show was called.

Yeah, I get that, but by definition your heyday is your period of greatest success, i.e. you only really get one. So, by describing the mid 90s as Forest's heyday, that fan is saying their success in the mid-90s was better than their success in the 80s, which is objectively not true.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
interesting to see.

If Cucurella goes then losing your best 2 players has to have an impact.

Still optimistic we can be clear of the bottom 3 though

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Whilst Frank is an obvious choice, they do have some decent players there if they can be bothered to play. Ted Lasso at Leeds is surely on borrowed time. He got lucky last year and has lost Philips (He was injured most of last year I admit) and Raphinha. His accent doesn't help him but he seems to replace tactics with fist pumping the crowd. I don't think either of them will be there by this time next year and Leeds are bottom 3 material.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Whilst Frank is an obvious choice, they do have some decent players there if they can be bothered to play. Ted Lasso at Leeds is surely on borrowed time. He got lucky last year and has lost Philips (He was injured most of last year I admit) and Raphinha. His accent doesn't help him but he seems to replace tactics with fist pumping the crowd. I don't think either of them will be there by this time next year and Leeds are bottom 3 material.
I hope they do go down. I was speaking to a Leeds fan recently, and she is confident because of their new signings. Aren't they mainly unproven Americans, and unproven other players?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Combine it with thie quote from our fan rep and it's a dead cert: "We’re such a well-run club it’s almost unthinkable that we won’t get even better"

Some injuries to some key players and we could finish well below 9th. That’s not meant as a criticism of our squad as most teams outside the top 6 (and maybe some in) could have a season severely disrupted by injuries.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I hope they do go down. I was speaking to a Leeds fan recently, and she is confident because of their new signings. Aren't they mainly unproven Americans, and unproven other players?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Premier League has been littered with signings that proved to be useless for Big money especially for middling teams. Our recruitment team has been brilliant at it in recent times but even we have had our duds in Ali J and Locadia. Brenden Aaronson for example has the air of "Why did we pay 30 million for him" about him.

4 of their 5 big signings are from the Bundesliga. 2 of the 5 are American. The manager is clearly influencing the signings rather than say an extensive data driven scouting network. These players could all be in the reserves if he gets sacked. It seems Ted is putting a team to do well in Germany together not the Premier League. I suspect he will pay with his job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here