Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans Forum

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Who am I to doubt PB statements but Strange sharing scheme runs at a loss. All those that are now sharing on a permanent basis and paying, were previously sharing at no cost. If the scheme is running at a loss I have a solution to this which would also mean more bums on seats and more beer sold.

It probably doesn't run at a loss, but you can make it appear so on paper. To do so you just have to assume that every or at least many of those taking the ticket from a season ticket holder would have otherwise bought a ticket, but I believe the majority of those taking a "spare" ticket would not have gone to the game if they were not keeping a mate/family member company whilst another mate/family member can't attend.

There have been few games (if any?) where unused season tickets could have been sold on the exchange this season, that might change as covid becomes less of a concern for the second half of the season, but that is also likely to mean less ST holders wanting to pass their ticket on.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He argues that they sell fewer general sale tickets and fewer tickets via the exchange thus the loss.

How many games has the exchange been open for? I also suspect most people borrowing a seat from a ST holder would not have otherwise been in the market for one.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
NEW: Barber says the revenue from the sharing scheme is £250K (perhaps indicating that they've sold about 1200 £20 sharing fees this year. (He then makes case that scheme is costing club money due to reduced Exchange revenues and reduced general ticket sales. )

Not sure about your maths maybe 12000 rather than 1200 STHs have set it up.

I think he said BHAFC lost £2 million because of the loss of ticket sales on the ticket exchange which was exacerbated by the sharing scheme ( not convinced about the latter)

For the Spurs game it was clear the club basically took the approach that 5,700 was all they would take and they were not prepared to loose £80k on not selling the difference . PB did say we have never taken more than 7K to an away game - forgetting 29k at the semi-final 3 years ago and 6k to man united when there were also no trains home. Water under the bridge now but will be interesting to see what happens if get WHUFC in the next round....

Nothing in there for people like me who still have to stay safe - not sure what the numbers are but I would guess a few thousand gave up season ticket because of health issues and fear of COVID e.g. chunk of the south stand to maintain stricter COVID regime....

As I have always thought safestanding will only be introduced when you can do it at a profitable ratio e.g. 1:1.5 or greater. Sensible when a) no issues with the standing that does happen b) it needs to be profiatble.

My first forum and whilst it did at times feel a bit staged you have to respect PB for actually making it happen.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not sure about your maths maybe 12000 rather than 1200 STHs have set it up.

I think he said BHAFC lost £2 million because of the loss of ticket sales on the ticket exchange which was exacerbated by the sharing scheme ( not convinced about the latter)

For the Spurs game it was clear the club basically took the approach that 5,700 was all they would take and they were not prepared to loose £80k on not selling the difference . PB did say we have never taken more than 7K to an away game - forgetting 29k at the semi-final 3 years ago and 6k to man united when there were also no trains home. Water under the bridge now but will be interesting to see what happens if get WHUFC in the next round....

Nothing in there for people like me who still have to stay safe - not sure what the numbers are but I would guess a few thousand gave up season ticket because of health issues and fear of COVID e.g. chunk of the south stand to maintain stricter COVID regime....

As I have always thought safestanding will only be introduced when you can do it at a profitable ratio e.g. 1:1.5 or greater. Sensible when a) no issues with the standing that does happen b) it needs to be profiatble.

My first forum and whilst it did at times feel a bit staged you have to respect PB for actually making it happen.

My understanding is that the gate is split 45% each for home and away sides in the FA Cup, 10% to the FA pool. Spurs could have allowed us to have the tickets without having to pay for any unsold ones, it would have been financially better for them to have done so I think, even if we did only sell 7500 of the 9000, I don't believe they will sell out. However, as we are picking up 45% of total gate receipts from a larger stadium than if we had been drawn at home, and the main "maybe not factor" for selling 9000 tickets is that it is on telly at 8PM, so we will get broadcast revenue too, it would not exactly be throwing money away if we didn't sell them all, just not maximising the profit opportunity, I would have preferred we maximised the support potential, increased the chance of progressing very slightly, quite possibly have taken 9000 fans to an away day, and pick up 90k prize money.

Barbers comment that tickets did not sell fast, also needs a bit of context, it seems to me the tickets went on sale very soon after the date and time were announced, I for one was caught out by this, just thought I would have a few days to work out which mates wanted to go, or if we could get home if it goes into extra time etc. but when I checked to see when they were going on sale, the game was mostly sold, ended up panic buying a couple without having really sorted anything with mates. I can't be the only one.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
My understanding is that the gate is split 45% each for home and away sides in the FA Cup, 10% to the FA pool. Spurs could have allowed us to have the tickets without having to pay for any unsold ones, it would have been financially better for them to have done so I think, even if we did only sell 7500 of the 9000, I don't believe they will sell out. However, as we are picking up 45% of total gate receipts from a larger stadium than if we had been drawn at home, and the main "maybe not factor" for selling 9000 tickets is that it is on telly at 8PM, so we will get broadcast revenue too, it would not exactly be throwing money away if we didn't sell them all, just not maximising the profit opportunity, I would have preferred we maximised the support potential, increased the chance of progressing very slightly, quite possibly have taken 9000 fans to an away day, and pick up 90k prize money.

Barbers comment that tickets did not sell fast, also needs a bit of context, it seems to me the tickets went on sale very soon after the date and time were announced, I for one was caught out by this, just thought I would have a few days to work out which mates wanted to go, or if we could get home if it goes into extra time etc. but when I checked to see when they were going on sale, the game was mostly sold, ended up panic buying a couple without having really sorted anything with mates. I can't be the only one.

Could of easily put some correspondence on the website announcing they were only going to sell 5,700 of the tickets - then could of said once they are sold out they'll be do a waiting list and if that reached 2,000 - 2,500 they'd sell them and re open up the sales to the next stages. so badly done, I couldn't be bothered to listen to the forum last night but I take it there was no 'sorry' for the miscommunication re tickets. Apparently they did keep saying we had not taking 9,000 away in 10 years ? But I can't remember too many times we have been offered 9,000 ?? Especially to a big game in London at a stadium still not many apart from the top 3,000 away fans would have been to. Quite clearly if this sold out in 2 business days we'd have easily got to at least 8,000 and with the way we've played in last few weeks I think not far off 9,000 but PB thinks different and over 2,000 of the most loyal fans would have been fed up with this decision.

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
so ruling out basically everywhere in Sussex other than Crawley (which in fairness I thought only had seating on 2 sides)

Worthing's is big enough but only has seating on one side

But seating could be put on 2 other sides - it doesn’t say how many seats are required. Other facilities here are good although the local residents might not be so keen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here