Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fannying about at the back

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Let's not stop there. Let's sign a lump of a forward in the McGammon mould and just lump everything to him.

Archaic, direct, basic route one football In. Intricate, Tika-Taka De Zerbi football Out.
If you think good football is continually gifting the opposition cheap goals they don’t deserve, then fair enough.

Sometimes the players should use their brains.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Oooh ......... are we allowed to complain about Fannying around at the back yet?
Yes I think we are just about. We do play some glorious stuff at times and nobody is advocating a wholesale move to hoof ball defending. However, just on occasions it's a little too tight and intricate and we should play the safe percentage ball even if it means surrendering possession cheaply.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Pascal appeared to be calling for the hoof at that point…..

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
No one is saying that really just that we have conceded 6 goals from similar type of situations Verbruggen did it against Bournemouth and again tonight
It is a bit much really especially as we do very little attacking wise and as far as I’m concerned it’s been a bit like that for a while now.I know I will be slated for this but I find watching the Albion a bit boring lately
Just saying
Apart from the last 45 mins 🤣

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Pascal appeared to be calling for the hoof at that point…..
I blame him most of all for that goal for playing it back in to Verbruggen when he should have found a different option.

No problem with playing it out from the back, it's the playing out and then playing it back in again which we seem to be doing so much of these days. Last season we'd play out to Caicedo or MacAllister and they were good at holding and turning. This year we play out or to the midfield and they just knock it back in to the keeper again, and it all gets a bit keystone cops.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I blame him most of all for that goal for playing it back in to Verbruggen when he should have found a different option.

No problem with playing it out from the back, it's the playing out and then playing it back in again which we seem to be doing so much of these days. Last season we'd play out to Caicedo or MacAllister and they were good at holding and turning. This year we play out or to the midfield and they just knock it back in to the keeper again, and it all gets a bit keystone cops.
Baleba does an awful lot of this. He seems extremely nervous and cautious.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We need to be smarter. Sometimes we can just clear it - esp in stoppage time. Poor from Bart for the goal. Gifted a shit team a head start.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

Baleba does an awful lot of this. He seems extremely nervous and cautious.

I agree but I feel like there’s sometimes a lack of passing options though, which is why they go back. Well organised teams are cutting off the options forward and so rather than punting a hopeful ball forward (and mainly losing possession) we go back to try a different route through,

It’s frustrating but more a symptom of teams working us out a bit this season, compared to last.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I agree but I feel like there’s sometimes a lack of passing options though, which is why they go back. Well organised teams are cutting off the options forward and so rather than punting a hopeful ball forward (and mainly losing possession) we go back to try a different route through,

It’s frustrating but more a symptom of teams working us out a bit this season, compared to last.
Last years success wasn't so much the passing but the unique ability of Caicedo to receive the ball, hold it and turn on it whilst almost never losing it, which then opened up loads of opportunities for forward passes. Once in a generation player for Brighton.

half the issue with the passing sequences is when so many different players play in different positions im sure the players get confused. Take Gross for example we went from right wing to midfield to right back in the same match. anyone exchanging passes with him almost certainly got confused when they should pass to him and when not.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Irrespective of the colossal f*** up - we could murder Palace if we just moved the f***ing ball quicker. SO SO PEDESTRIAN. Come on RDZ, sort it!
THIS!!

the lack of movement and quickness of thought are the problem.
Not the fannying about.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just watched the highlights back and actually we were better in the final third than I thought.
On anothe day we win that comfortably.

Some decent strikes that needed saving and a couple of efforts agonisingly wide.
I'm counting Welbeck's face rebound as an effort, btw.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, but look at the progress we've made - we're now fannying about on the edge of their penalty area too. But hey, come on - putting your laces through the ball, FFS. How outmoded can you bear to be...................

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Just watched the highlights back and actually we were better in the final third than I thought.
On anothe day we win that comfortably.

Some decent strikes that needed saving and a couple of efforts agonisingly wide.
I'm counting Welbeck's face rebound as an effort, btw.
Calderon would have scored that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here