Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Family's shock at Brighton cruising spot - The Argus

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
If they do rip the bushes up can you ask them if I can have them for the local Nursing home as only the other day they
were asking me if I knew of any bushes going free for the new garden !! :wave:

Perfect, pull the bushes out and donate them to a nursing home - Jason KK will be delighted that the bushes can be saved at the same time as saving our children's innocence, I'll suggest this extra added value to him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On the 19th February during half term week my family and I visited Brighton Marina and because of the good weather we decided to walk into town, we often do this when visiting the city and our children enjoy the attractions both at the Marina and those along Madeira Drive.
We got to where the Volks railway starts and from here we’d normally walk the whole length of the seafront past the Pier but on this day we decided to take a detour to the upper esplanade, it was approximately 2pm and there were lots of people around as we walked through the pathways we now know to be Dukes Mound.
We approached a fork in the pathway where we could go further up the hill towards the upper esplanade or take the alternative route that would lead us back down the hill onto Madeira drive. Upon reaching the fork we looked up the path and were shocked to see two men engaging in anal sex, both had their trousers down to their ankles, one was on his knees leaning over a bench with the other standing behind him performing the sexual act.
I can only apologise, I won't go there in the day again.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Probably should have made this party of the gay marriage bill.

"So you feel you are not being treated equally, fair enough. You can get married but you'll have to stop this cottaging shit. "

Ha ha, on a serious note cottaging is against the law (public toilet sex) but cruising isn't (outside sex) - Bizarre I know!!

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
I would like to read the council and police's replies to you.

Here you go:

From the council:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your email, referred to us by the council’s Standards & Complaints team. Firstly, we are very sorry to hear about your recent experiences at Dukes Mound, and hope that you and your family are now feeling less traumatised about what happened.

Whilst the council is aware that this area is sometimes used as a public sex environment at night, it is very unusual for this to happen in the day. We work very closely with Sussex Police to ensure that any sexual activity is dealt with quickly and appropriately to ensure that people can feel safe and free to walk through this area. As a result of your complaint, we have asked for increased daytime police patrols in the area. We have also contacted the council’s parks & street cleaning teams to ask that the area is clear of any detritus and that shrubs etc are kept controlled to help minimise the likelihood of this behaviour. I have asked for each team to contact you directly.

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about what has happened and hope that our response has explained to you what action we will take to minimise this from happening again.
--------------------------

From Jason KK

Thank you for your email. I'm very sorry to hear about what you and your family
experienced.

I see that you have had a response from our Community Safety Team and have been
in touch with Sussex Police.

There have been long running tensions and concerns about this area that go back
to well before I was a councillor. I cannot speak for Sussex Police and how they
view the issue. However like them we do have very limited resources and do need
to prioritise how they resources used. So there may be an element of managed
toleration going on. I'm sorry to say it, but I don't believe there is a easy
permanent resolution to this issue. However you should not have been put into
that situation with your family and I will raise it with the Police Borough
commander at our next meeting.

I will continue to be copied in to the emails from council officers on this
matter.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions or
queries.

All the best,
Jason

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Horrible thing for you and your family to witness Chris001. Some people have no sense of decency. Hopefully the police will be more active in moving these gentlemen on in the future (however unlikely that may seem).

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Thank you, men who want to meet other men for casual sex in our city are more than well catered for! Why should we have to put up with public acts of indecency in our parks and pathways too. The authorities are calling this "managed toleration", it's taking the pee out of the decent people of Brighton to accommodate a small minority!

you say our city and you dont know about dukes mound? I cant work out if you are local or not and havent read all the thread but anyone who lives in brighton doesnt go for a stroll through dukes mound rightly or wrongly unless they are wanting to play hide the sausage.

One of the reasons alot of people choose to live in brighton is exactly because of this attitude "managed toleration" eg minorities dont feel prejudiced against - this is what makes brighton a great city. Maybe you should consider moving to croydon?

Oh one other question you never boned your missus in the bushes?

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
You honestly didn't know of that areas reputation until after that incident?

Are you kidding? No I honestly didn't. If I did, do you think I'd walk through it with my family?
Based on what the authorities are saying, even if you did know, you are unlikely to encounter what we did because it doesn't happen during the day!

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Horrible thing for you and your family to witness Chris001. Some people have no sense of decency, hopefully the police will be a more active in moving these gentlemen on in the future (however unlikely that may seem).

Gutted for Chris and Family, but this is the council thats backs homosexual pride. They won't want to upset the homosexual fraternity.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
you say our city and you dont know about dukes mound? I cant work out if you are local or not and havent read all the thread but anyone who lives in brighton doesnt go for a stroll through dukes mound rightly or wrongly unless they are wanting to play hide the sausage.

One of the reasons alot of people choose to live in brighton is exactly because of this attitude "managed toleration" eg minorities dont feel prejudiced against - this is what makes brighton a great city. Maybe you should consider moving to croydon?

How old are you? I was born in Sussex County Hospital, I grew up in Hove, I now live in Worthing having migrated along the coast because it's too expensive to live in the City of my father and my birth. I didn't know about Dukes Mound up until the other day, but maybe I'm not as trendy as you?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Why should everyone be aware of Duke's Mound? Besides, what about tourists?

Maybe the council should erect some signs warning walkers that sex may be taking part in this are but this is an area of 'managed tolerance'.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Horrible thing for you and your family to witness Chris001. Some people have no sense of decency. Hopefully the police will be more active in moving these gentlemen on in the future (however unlikely that may seem).

Thank you for that.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
gay or not these people are vile.

Forget removing the trees, just put super glue on the benches, or set up a shooting range from Madeira Drive

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Forget removing the trees, just put super glue on the benches, or set up a shooting ragne from Madeira Drive

You mean that ISN'T super glue on the benches down there? Urrgghhh....

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
How old are you? I was born in Sussex County Hospital, I grew up in Hove, I now live in Worthing having migrated along the coast because it's too expensive to live in the City of my father and my birth. I didn't know about Dukes Mound up until the other day, but maybe I'm not as trendy as you?

I am 44 but not sure whats that got to do with it - but i think you have found your natural home in worthing. I am genuinely amazed that you and generations of your family are born and bred in brighton and were not aware of the dukes mound reputation. I mean seriously?? Are you aware brighton is the gay capital of the UK?

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand

Do you have a family? I have a six year old daughter and stopped taking her to Brighton cause I did not want her to see this managed toleration.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

Forget removing the trees, just put super glue on the benches, or set up a shooting ragne from Madeira Drive

i remember being told of kids going down there with air pistols back in less 'enlightened' times. may have been a myth but this is part of the issue. npwadays there is no need for anyone going into bushes to bum other blokes off they have f***ing loads of pubs cafes etc to go and meet. its like hetro dogging which is f***ing weird, but with the dukes mound business you have a lobby group who seem to think cruising is some sort of cultural right.

f***ing in public is not acceptable whatever your orientation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here