Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Family's shock at Brighton cruising spot - The Argus

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Got a response from the police today:

Dear Chris

I have today been passed your complaint regarding Dukes mound and apologise that you have not had any correspondance from Sussex police before now.
I understand that you have spoken to a number of organisations across the city and would like the opportunity to meet with you to discuss this matter.
Supt Simon Nelson has arranged a mulit agency meeting to discuss both your complaint and the area in general. This will occur on Thursday 22nd March.
Once that meeting has taken place would you be able to meet with me so that I can both talk to you about your complaint, and let you know the outcome of the meeting.

Regards
Inspector Justin Burtenshaw
Safe in the City Delivery Unit
Brighton & Hove Division

Dear Inspector Burtenshaw,

I am very encouraged to hear that Supt Nelson has arranged a multi agency meeting and hope for a favourable outcome.

I would very much like to meet with you to discuss the matter and look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Thank you taking the time to contact me.

Yours sincerely
Chris

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Dear Inspector Burtenshaw,

I am very encouraged to hear that Supt Nelson has arranged a multi agency meeting and hope for a favourable outcome.

I would very much like to meet with you to discuss the matter and look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Thank you taking the time to contact me.

Yours sincerely
Chris

Sent: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 14:24
Subject: RE: Complaint regarding Dukes mound area. Complaint reference BHD/617/2012/13 - 25982

Dear Chris.

A meeting was held with Supt Nelson, Brighton and Hove community Safety team and representatives from both the local authority and the LGBT community.
In terms of complaints to police reference innapropriate behaviour within the Dukes mound area, there have been 2 calls since 2011. Both have been responded to by police, however both resulted in an area search without finding any persons comitting any offences.
This area is known to be used as a public sex environment, however as demonstrated by the number of calls to police, rarely is visible to the public.
The Terence Higgins Trust, who provide advice and support to the LGBT community have agreed to place notice on their website reminding people of offences that can be committed and that the police will attend the location to any reports of outraging public decency.
The council are looking at the asthetics of the location to ensure that the impact on the public is minimised.
As a police service we will grade and respond to calls to the location, and deal with any offences that are committed. We regularly patrol the area both during the day and at night to ensure that all communities are safe.

I am happy to discuss this matter further with you should you wish

Kind regards

Justin

Brighton & Hove Division

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Sent: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 14:24
Subject: RE: Complaint regarding Dukes mound area. Complaint reference BHD/617/2012/13 - 25982

Dear Chris.

A meeting was held with Supt Nelson, Brighton and Hove community Safety team and representatives from both the local authority and the LGBT community.
In terms of complaints to police reference innapropriate behaviour within the Dukes mound area, there have been 2 calls since 2011. Both have been responded to by police, however both resulted in an area search without finding any persons comitting any offences.
This area is known to be used as a public sex environment, however as demonstrated by the number of calls to police, rarely is visible to the public.
The Terence Higgins Trust, who provide advice and support to the LGBT community have agreed to place notice on their website reminding people of offences that can be committed and that the police will attend the location to any reports of outraging public decency.
The council are looking at the asthetics of the location to ensure that the impact on the public is minimised.
As a police service we will grade and respond to calls to the location, and deal with any offences that are committed. We regularly patrol the area both during the day and at night to ensure that all communities are safe.

I am happy to discuss this matter further with you should you wish

Kind regards

Justin

Brighton & Hove Division

Hello Justin

Thank you for informing me how the meeting went.

You suggest that the minimal complaints from the public are due to the public not being able to see what’s going on. Perhaps people don’t bother informing the police in the first place? We nearly didn’t bother ourselves because we thought that nothing would be done, in hindsight our initial instinct turned out to be correct.

The incident took place on 19th Feb and your response landed on my inbox on the 8th April, that’s an awful long time to wait for a reply from the police, enough to put anyone off complaining.

You accept that it’s an area designated for public sex, it also seems that many local people know this and keep away as a consequence. This could also play a part in you receiving minimal complaints in that it’s known locally as a no-go area.

I am stunned that the authorities allow this to continue within the shadow of family attractions. I’m further shocked that the people who engage in such activity are not considered to be committing any crime.

I appreciate your offer to discuss this further but I will politely decline, I see no value in pursuing the matter any further. It’s taken up far too much of my time already - I have children to support, a job to hold down and an NVQ to study for, you won’t get any more complaints from me because I won’t go anywhere near the area again.

Many thanks
Chris

windy

Feb 24, 2013
Hello Justin

Thank you for informing me how the meeting went.

You suggest that the minimal complaints from the public are due to the public not being able to see what’s going on. Perhaps people don’t bother informing the police in the first place? We nearly didn’t bother ourselves because we thought that nothing would be done, in hindsight our initial instinct turned out to be correct.

The incident took place on 19th Feb and your response landed on my inbox on the 8th April, that’s an awful long time to wait for a reply from the police, enough to put anyone off complaining.

You accept that it’s an area designated for public sex, it also seems that many local people know this and keep away as a consequence. This could also play a part in you receiving minimal complaints in that it’s known locally as a no-go area.

I am stunned that the authorities allow this to continue within the shadow of family attractions. I’m further shocked that the people who engage in such activity are not considered to be committing any crime.

I appreciate your offer to discuss this further but I will politely decline, I see no value in pursuing the matter any further. It’s taken up far too much of my time already - I have children to support, a job to hold down and an NVQ to study for, you won’t get any more complaints from me because I won’t go anywhere near the area again
Many thanks
Chris[/QUO

Last edited:

windy

Feb 24, 2013
Just goes to show how useless the police are. If its not a driving offence they don't wanna know !!! Good on you Chris for trying to get some thing done about it. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here