Family Trees........ Did you find out you were related to someone famous/interesting

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
This probably makes me sound like a right boring bastard but I have got into this recently.

When researching my fathers side of the family I discovered that his Austrian cousins father was a General in the Nazi party during the war.

Who are you related to NSC?

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I quite fancy doing this for my Grandad. It was one of the reasons he bought a laptop a few years ago - he had heard people could research their family history on the internet and thought he could turn the laptop on, type in his name on any screen and all the details would appear. He has recently been diagnosed with dementia and it seems to be getting rapidly worse, I would like to do this for him before it gets too late and he doesn't understand any more.

How do you go about it? I see there are plenty of websites available but I don't know where to start.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I have done quite a bit of mine - started by talking to family - Uncles and Aunts, Cousins etc and Mum - Managed to trace some family that live in Stamner Park and she had done some of the tree too so we met up and combined our stuff together. I went on friends reunited and you could actually build a tree on there and people contact you if you think they may be contacts - this was about 8 years ago not sure its still like that now. The censor thing had just been published too so you can get information from that.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Thomas Carlyle

Scottish historian, satirist and social commentator.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Great grandfather - Edgar William Everest
Secretary of the Sussex County FA 1889-1945

Actually, read about him in the Albion History book

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I used the ancestry.com app that you can get on the iPhone/iPad etc

I quite fancy doing this for my Grandad. It was one of the reasons he bought a laptop a few years ago - he had heard people could research their family history on the internet and thought he could turn the laptop on, type in his name on any screen and all the details would appear. He has recently been diagnosed with dementia and it seems to be getting rapidly worse, I would like to do this for him before it gets too late and he doesn't understand any more.

How do you go about it? I see there are plenty of websites available but I don't know where to start.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I actually need to do some research just to find out my nan's date of birth as sadly she still has no headstone which I need to put right.
The Ancsestry web-site isn't too helpful as it seems to presume everyone knows their parents background.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Harry Baldwin.

Brighton keeper between the wars, and holder of a football league record, for consecutive penalty saves (six!).

DanielT

Always thought that if there was anyone famous in my family I would already know. It would be spoken about endlessly at every family do

Best let sleeping dogs lie before you find the villains in your family's closet!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Absolutely truthfully................Neil Armstrong

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Harry Baldwin.

Brighton keeper between the wars, and holder of a football league record, for consecutive penalty saves (six!).

Nice one. A great reason (if one was needed) for supporting the Albion!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports