Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Family Trees........ Did you find out you were related to someone famous/interesting

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I have a direct blood line to Conan the 1st of Brittany who is on the Bayeaux Tapestry giving Norman the Conquerer some keys! I have also got Queen Elizabeth II on my family tree as well. The trick is to find a descendant before 1800 who already has a properly recorded family history. I believe there is one medieval King, whose name escapes me, who has 100,000,000 living descendants. Proving the link is the fun / hard bit!

Charlemagne - the Father of Europe. Else, Edward III.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Thanks for the explanation. So how is a second cousin related to me then?

The child of that first-cousin-once-removed will be your second cousin. Your first cousins are the children of your parents siblings. Your second cousins are the children of your parents' grandparents' siblings. Your third cousins are the children of your parents' great-grandparents' siblings, etc, back through the generations. Through the internet, for example, I have chatted to my 16th cousin, us both sharing a direct ancestor.

As I said, once (twice, three times, etc) removed refers to the number of generations in between the cousins. So the child of your 9th x great-grandfather's sibling, is also your first cousin, but removed by 9 generations, so first cousin 9 times removed.

BrightonBiatch

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton, United Kingdom
my great great grandmother was the daughter of Henry Isaac Rowntree,Yes as in rowntree sweets,But she gave up all her name and future inheritance to marry a working class man which the family disowned her for, and i also have a 1st cousin who is married to Colin fry.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
My great grandfather, Frank Ryan was a cricketer for Glamorgan, Hampshire and Lancashire and should have played for England. Unfortunately, he was a bit of a playboy. When he was in his prime, he should've been called up for England, but it turned out to be the year when English bowlers decided to bowl it straight at the Aussies. He also played for Southampton in goal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am the son of god.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
According to Andrew Marr the other evening, I and all of you are related to a woman that walked out of North Eastern Africa a long time ago!
That's not news, that's the accepted out of Africa theory. She's our great great (...) gran.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp
If you wish to get a birth certificate or death certificate here is the link.
One certificate is £9.25 but as you want more then the cost goes up. If you want the one certificate it takes ages for delivery. I ordered a birth certificate for one of my relatives and it will not be posted till the 18th Oct.
Posted the next day cost over £24.

Nothing interesting so far....got back to 1703 and we started out as the Lakers (mothers side) ...there is a rumour that maybe we owned an airline that went bust!!

When my wife was alive went back to her lineage and discovered that she was related to a highwayman at Lewis....Jack...some name like that.
He was hung....(by the neck,not between the legs) No wonder my wife kept robbing me!
Everytime I got my wages she would say,"Stand and Deliver!!"

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
My mum's cousin is Jean Boht (Ma Boswell in Bread) and her husband is Carl Davis (Composer/Conductor) - that's it !

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Not thrpough family tree searching but family knowledge. Directly related though my grandmother's line to the Clan Chief Grant (i.e. Grants Whisky). Grandma told me as a kid I would probably be about 48th in line to the clan chieftanship but even if she was right Id probably be more than a 100 now and wouldnt get in through the scullery door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here