Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Family Trees........ Did you find out you were related to someone famous/interesting

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Henry Fielding, novelist and founder of the bow street runners

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Members of my family have researched into the point that I am apparently a direct descendant of Benjamin Franklin.

I would say that makes you the winner so far then TLO....

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I have a direct blood line to Conan the 1st of Brittany who is on the Bayeaux Tapestry giving Norman the Conquerer some keys! I have also got Queen Elizabeth II on my family tree as well. The trick is to find a descendant before 1800 who already has a properly recorded family history. I believe there is one medieval King, whose name escapes me, who has 100,000,000 living descendants. Proving the link is the fun / hard bit!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Camicus

Just done mine back to 1745 come frrom a long line of labourer's although did find a few intresting types my Great grandad was a bigomistx3 who caught a packet at Pacchendale his brother died at Ypres. The scottish side of my family are actualy from London and the London side from Frome in Somerset. My Ggfather was a member of the "Stockwell orphans" street gang and was tried for murder and found not guilty his two gang mates were found guilty and hung.

Dont know if thats famous but I kinda find it intresting

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have a direct blood line to Conan the 1st of Brittany who is on the Bayeaux Tapestry giving Norman the Conquerer some keys! I have also got Queen Elizabeth II on my family tree as well. The trick is to find a descendant before 1800 who already has a properly recorded family history. I believe there is one medieval King, whose name escapes me, who has 100,000,000 living descendants. Proving the link is the fun / hard bit!

Once you get that far back I think everyone can prove a bloodline to Constantine and through him back through some church funded family trees back through Moses and eventually back to Adam and Eve. You just need the patience to follow the line.

Sadly mine all run out with peasant stock in the sixteenth century and I have no-one of any note or notoriety.

I've traced most of my ancestral lines back to the mid-eighteenth century, and some of them back a lot further than that. Not a single famous individual to be found. But plenty of interesting characters. One of my favourites is my great great great great grandfather's brother, who had nineteen children. His widow's occupation (at the age of 76) is described in the 1871 census as "Keeps a Mangle".

Dowling93

Jun 22, 2009
Brighton
I've traced most of my ancestral lines back to the mid-eighteenth century, and some of them back a lot further than that. Not a single famous individual to be found. But plenty of interesting characters. One of my favourites is my great great great great grandfather's brother, who had nineteen children. His widow's occupation (at the age of 76) is described in the 1871 census as "Keeps a Mangle".
Looks very interesting! How did you find all that information? I would like to do this for my family, my grandad always wanted to trace our family back but sadly died earlier this year and would like to complete it just because he couldn't in the end and it would also be interesting!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

19 kids, crikey.... I'm surprised she even had time to keep a mangle!

19 kids, crikey.... I'm surprised she even had time to keep a mangle!
In fairness to her, she was his second wife. She only had ten of his children.

The fact that her old goat of a husband had so many off-spring does enable me to say, with some confidence, that I'm related in some traceable way to just about everyone who shares my surname.

Incidentally, mangles were complicated bits of kit in those days.

Box_mangle1.jpg

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
According to Andrew Marr the other evening, I and all of you are related to a woman that walked out of North Eastern Africa a long time ago!
On the other hand my Family name goes back for centuries in Brighton, mostly fishermen, a Blacksmith in North Street in the 17th Century, nobody famous, just been around for a long time. A few left at different times and went to the colonies, America, Australia, New Zealand and Canada etc.
Only Jnr. Skipper is left as the last of my Grandfathers line, the last fisherman in my line.

Last edited:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I quite fancy doing this for my Grandad. It was one of the reasons he bought a laptop a few years ago - he had heard people could research their family history on the internet and thought he could turn the laptop on, type in his name on any screen and all the details would appear. He has recently been diagnosed with dementia and it seems to be getting rapidly worse, I would like to do this for him before it gets too late and he doesn't understand any more.

How do you go about it? I see there are plenty of websites available but I don't know where to start.

Start here:

GENUKI: UK Ireland Genealogy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here