Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So the referee has basically arbitrarily decided to change the rules at the end and got away with it? Absolute joke.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Excuse me.

I’m not an F1 fan, in fact I find it quite boring, but I watched bits and pieces today, just cos I had nothing much else to do. I missed the last bit, I had a dinner to cook, but, let me get this clear.

Hamilton had a 12ish second lead with 8 laps to go,someone else crashed so the safety car came on,( this is were I left it) .

Then my understanding of it is, the 12 second lead is wiped out, and the two leading drivers restart with no discernible difference. Verstappen then overtakes Hamilton on the last lap, and wins.

This is completely bonkers. What happened to the 12 seconds?
You wouldn’t stop a football match, with one team 3-0 up for say, a serious injury, and then restart it all square after 20 minutes.

Are these really the rules? It just seems absolutely mad that a serious sport can see this as fair. Why not just add the extra 12 seconds on at the end of the race, for the driver who was in front when the race was suspended. A lot fairer all round.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Excuse me.

I’m not an F1 fan, in fact I find it quite boring, but I watched bits and pieces today, just cos I had nothing much else to do. I missed the last bit, I had a dinner to cook, but, let me get this clear.

Hamilton had a 12ish second lead with 8 laps to go,someone else crashed so the safety car came on,( this is were I left it) .

Then my understanding of it is, the 12 second lead is wiped out, and the two leading drivers restart with no discernible difference. Verstappen then overtakes Hamilton on the last lap, and wins.

You wouldn’t stop a football match, with one team 3-0 up for say, a serious injury, and then restart it all square after 20 minutes.

Are these really the rules? It just seems absolutely mad that a serious sport can see this as fair. Why not just add the extra 12 seconds on at the end of the race, for the driver who was in front when the race was suspended. A lot fairer all round.

You’re missing the bit where Max went in the pits to get a fresh set of tyres to

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I don't give a shit about F1. Can't stand the sport.

But I may just tune in now as this looks fun !

This. I only watched the highlights of last race as I was told about the incident that had happened, did not see this race, can someone explain why did Hamilton not change tyres did that help Max. And Hamilton was so many seconds ahead could the not have a staggered restart with Hamilton going so many seconds before

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Karen said the ‘The principle of let them race’ won through.

It’s been let them cheat though with Max all season and ‘let them be incompetent’ with the FIA.

What a load of shit but equally, taking it off Max would have given very little satisfaction, the only joy seeing Karen & Max lose the plot.

They were racing for 54/55 laps. They lost that bit quite handsomely.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've watched more F1 in the last hour than I have in the last twenty years.

kelownaseagull

Sep 13, 2003
BC Canada
Assuming they all teams agreed to these silly rules at the beginning of the season, it's odd that the driver who completed the race in the shortest amount of time came second!:lolol:

Excuse me.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
So the referee has basically arbitrarily decided to change the rules at the end and got away with it? Absolute joke.

The race director is allowed to control the use of the safety car however he sees fit, so no rules were broken, it appears. The "let them race" ethic encouraged him to engineer a last lap spectacular which just happened to benefit Max.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Farcical outcome, but once the initial decision was made they have to stick with it really, there is no other less farcical outcome.

Red Bull didn't do anything wrong so you can't fairly penalise them, or benefit Mercedes, potentially null the whole result but then Red Bull still win/everybody loses.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You’re missing the bit where Max went in the pits to get a fresh set of tyres to

Why is that allowed to happen?

Again it seems bonkers. He shouldn’t be allowed to put stop and gain an advantage. Why not just say you can’t pit stop during the safety car bit?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
What would solve a lot of this would be banning pitting under SC or VSC unless on safety grounds.

That won't happen as pitting under SC & VSC ofter favours whichever driver is in the right place at the right time and therefore creates drama and a spectacul but it doesn't seem fair from a pure racing viewpoint. Liberty Media aren't really interested in fairness, the more drama and controversy, the more viewers and the more revenue which is EVERYTHING.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here