Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Byron Young
@byronf1
Here we are in the press room awaiting a protest result but the FIA have Tweeted a link to their race report that [MENTION=22221]Max[/MENTION]33Verstappen is world champion. Hmmmmmm #AbuDhabiGP

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
If they declared the race null and void Max wins the title based on race wins.

Really can't see them overturning it, it would be a PR disaster. I think they reject the appeal and Masi resigns immediately

Being a PR disaster is no reason not to follow proper process. Better to sort it fairly themselves rather than go to court.

Last edited:

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
The FIA are not covering themselves in glory today.
f976f4f045da16ff904b933d7451b915.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Being a PR disaster is no reason not to follow proper process. Better to sort it faily themselves rather than go to court.

Completely agree but they seem to care more about commercial reputation and entertainment than consistency. Max has brought a huge younger audience to F1 and they won't want to piss them off. Not defending or agreeing with it, it's just what will happen.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Completely agree but they seem to care more about commercial reputation and entertainment than consistency. Max has brought a huge younger audience to F1 and they won't want to piss them off. Not defending or agreeing with it, it's just what will happen.

No way they’d overturn it, this is all a charade.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If I'd seen this shortly after you wrote it, I'd have replied "yes, of course they do".

But it turns out I'd have been wrong with that response.

5Live's Jenny Gow went off to find out if Mercedes always have a barrister with them at a race, and came back to say that it is "highly unusual" for them to do that.

So, based on that, I'll answer: no.

And, of course, Red Bull are also "a multi million pound operation" and they didn't have a barrister with them today.

Edit: It's not surprising they have legal reinforcements today, of course, but that wasn't the point being debated.

Having a barrister isn’t the same as having a legal team……….

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In past I have avoided F1 because I did'nt know what was going on. I think F1 with this race have lost opportunity to gain additional supporters and viewers. Very good when Max team mate tried to stop Lewis overtaking. After that until few laps to go Lewis had a 14sec lead. From than on I did'nt have a clue what had happened and am sure many others did'nt which is a shame and a lost opportunity.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It's quite sad, whatever happens now, the championship is tainted, whoever ends up with the title, it will always have a virtual asterisk against it....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's quite sad, whatever happens now, the championship is tainted, whoever ends up with the title, it will always have a virtual asterisk against it....

Indeed

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
If they declared the race null and void Max wins the title based on race wins.

Really can't see them overturning it, it would be a PR disaster. I think they reject the appeal and Masi resigns immediately

I agree that they will uphold the result and reject the appeal, so based on that Michael Masi has no need to resign because he did nothing wrong.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

As a fan I agree but I'm sure Max and RB won't complain assuming it goes their way. They haven't agreed when they have clearly broken the rules so an unorthodox/dodgy race call from the FIA won't even register as long as its in their favour

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Yes. You can’t run a serious championship and then not follow the rule book when it suits. At the same time, taking the crown away from a newly anointed king is very distasteful. Looks like Max is champion though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here