Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

F***ing pissed off

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It always surprises me that people would 'hang' a politician.

Where would the money come from to prop up the Coal industry? Would you have been happy to pay your hard earned £s to support an industry htat was losing millions by the minute? Would you?

It is very easy to blame Thatcher and defend 1,000s of unemployed, but cola was finished. Has it made a comeback? ??? Was Maggie right???

Banned
Dec 8, 2005
Location Location
Barrel of Fun said:

Where would the money come from to prop up the Coal industry? Would you have been happy to pay your hard earned £s to support an industry htat was losing millions by the minute? Would you?

It is very easy to blame Thatcher and defend 1,000s of unemployed, but cola was finished. Has it made a comeback? ??? Was Maggie right???

:clap:

Barrel of Fun said:

What about all our taxes that have had to prop up all the unemployed that came about as result of the coal mines being closed.
Germany a country with a very successful economy subsides coal mines.
Why couldn't we? Would have made more sense to waste our taxes on that than unemployment benefits and watching whole communities degenerate, thereby creating a vicious circle of unemployement and social problems. Which in turn cost us taxpayers lots of money.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Southover Street Seagull said:
Yes quite correct.
Why is he a twat?

Something tells me we're not going to get an answer to that beyond the 11 year old one we've already got.

1983: Does your mummy know you're posting on a forum full of adults?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Questions said:
Full scale political debate.................. on here on a friday night with a woman from Yorkshire.

Go and put the kettle on love and stop being silly.

I am not from Yorkshire. I didn't move there until I was 22. I moved back here 3 years ago.
Both Ned and I have posted here in the past about what happened in Yorkshire during the 80's. It does strike me as strange that Thatcher isn't hated in the north as much as I have read and heard since I moved back down south.
Ned posted a couple of weeks ago that his Dad lost his job 3 times in two years in the steel industry but that wasn't the fault of the Government but of cheaper steel being manufactured elsewhere in the world.
Power stations were using cheap Polish coal so the Government said that taxes couldn't be used to prop up the mining industry any more which was losing money hand over fist.
The miners didn't want to strike. All meetings were in the open air and all votes were visible. Men put their hands up because every else could see who was for and against (peer pressure) Some just wanted their redundancy money or to transfer to the newly opened Pontefract field which was still going strong. As I said a couple of weeks ago, my next door neighbour eventually got his redundancy money and retrained as a manager for Victoria Wine company. He was glad to get out of the pit. He hated it. Scargill started off as a union conveynor and ended up with two cars and a massive house in Yorkshire. Some communist!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
MYOB said:
I'm not in the UK! Irish election was today.

In the 80s we had Charles Haughey stealing money from the public (proven: he's legally recorded as Corrupt) and destroying the country...

Perhaps you should 'emmigrate' to here :lolol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Goodfella said:
Oh yes you should Yorkie in this case he is absolutely right, Thatcher destroyed this country.

Oh, and by the way, i am 49.

Funnily enough I'm older than you but find myself quite indifferent on the subject of Thatcher although I did think she was a condescending witch. I can't see how she 'destroyed this country' anymore than the current administration. To be honest I was better off then but that's circumstantial.

I agree with MYOB about the Irish government though.

Just thinking about it, many of the Anti Thatcher brigade are the same people who have serious global warming Issues. Burning coal was and is a large factor in the destruction of the ozone layer folks .......

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
In my opinion, the only person who helped close down the mines is one Mr Arthur Scargil, he bought the miners out on strike when coal reserves were at there highest and coal could be bought from france cheaper than it could be produced here.

But what do i know, i am way to young to remember those days :p

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
hitony said:
In my opinion, the only person who helped close down the mines is one Mr Arthur Scargil, he bought the miners out on strike when coal reserves were at there highest and coal could be bought from france cheaper than it could be produced here.

Correct.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Have to disagree with you there Yorkie, it wasn't just what she did to the mining industry.

There was the falklands debacle with british troops and Argentinian teenage conscripts dying. Argentina had lined up for an invasion before and, under Callaghan, we sent a couple of ships down and told them not to be silly. It didn't need British Intelligence to tell what was going to happen. I remember reading what was going to happen in WH Smiths in Churchill square, weeks before the invasion, but a war suited Galtieri and Thatcher.

And then there was South Africa, where her Dennis, the power behind the throne, (who loved being portrayed as an old lush), was making money hand over fist by us refusing to support sanctions.

There are a long list of reasons i'll be dancing on her grave when the witch goes. :censored:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I am not a Thatcher lover but you are wrong about the Falklands too.
My StepMum is from the Falklands and we had friends there. Jack worked with Sir Rex Hunt for the British Government.

I am for ever grateful that we got the Falklands back from an illegal invasion. Argentina have NEVER owned the Falklands and have no international claim on it whatsoever.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
As Callaghan was voted out in 79, why on earth did the Argentinians wait until 82 to invade. It did suit Galtieri, I will give you that, because it distracted from the 'disappearances' in his own country.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Falklands are belived to be surrounded by Oil Fields (yet to be found), go figure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here