• Leave

Votes: 119 41.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 32 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
The CBI speaks for big business so no great surprise they favour maintaining the Status quo as their overriding concern is making a profit.

We agree that our negotiating position is far stronger than Norway but yes the whole EU has more negotiating clout than we do. It is in our and other member states self interest to come to a mutually advantageous agreement.There seems to be a view that the EU will play hardball leading to UK economic collapse which is scaremongering nonsense.

We are the second largest economy in the EU with a vast thriving market with 66+ million consumers. Our European friends and partners know it is as much in their interest as ours to facilitate a smooth grown up settlement especially considering the relative weakness and many underlying economic problems facing the Eurozone and the wider EU .

Lack of democratic accountability and the ongoing migration crisis leading to the numerous societal problems are also big negative in continued unreformed membership.

It's not scaremongering. Yes, we need each other and yes we would come to a mutually beneficial arrangement in the case of Brexit - but it would not be as advantageous as unhindered and free access to the world's largest internal market. By and large, the EU would write the rules and we have to swallow them. We would still be subject to EU regulations, such as working time directives, but not have any ability to amend them at their source. Though I suppose we can ask Germany and the Netherlands really nicely to make them more competitive and business-friendly on our behalf.

Moreover it's not just about a trade agreement with the EU. As the CBI fact-sheet states

"Upon exit, the UK would no longer benefit from any of the EU’s trade deals with the likes of South Africa, Colombia, South Korea, Norway, Mexico – or the possible future deals with the United States and Japan.

and

The UK would be negotiating any new trade deals on the basis of having 3½% of world GDP, rather than as part of a bloc with 23% of world GDP."

In terms of business Brexit is like tying one-hand behind your back and celebrating your ability to do so.

I'm not arguing a lack of democratic accountability or negative consequences of the migration crisis. I am in favour of reformed membership and not in favour of ever-closer union.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
OUT. Net migration running at 330,000 not including illegals. Stay in, it is only going to get worse. We have seen nothing yet, trust me.

Nige likes to quote the figures going in one direction only when claiming what the EU 'costs us', and others like to work on the migration stats. Of the 330,000 you quote, fewer than half are from the EU.

D

Deleted member 22389

Nige likes to quote the figures going in one direction only when claiming what the EU 'costs us', and others like to work on the migration stats. Of the 330,000 you quote, fewer than half are from the EU.

I understand they are not all from the EU, this figure counts for people outside the EU as well, I know that, but what people are not getting here is the numbers of people who have arrived in the EU. How long before they are given EU status? More and more people will come to UK not less.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It's not scaremongering. Yes, we need each other and yes we would come to a mutually beneficial arrangement in the case of Brexit - but it would not be as advantageous as unhindered and free access to the world's largest internal market. By and large, the EU would write the rules and we have to swallow them. We would still be subject to EU regulations, such as working time directives, but not have any ability to amend them at their source. Though I suppose we can ask Germany and the Netherlands really nicely to make them more competitive and business-friendly on our behalf.

Moreover it's not just about a trade agreement with the EU. As the CBI fact-sheet states

"Upon exit, the UK would no longer benefit from any of the EU’s trade deals with the likes of South Africa, Colombia, South Korea, Norway, Mexico – or the possible future deals with the United States and Japan.

and

The UK would be negotiating any new trade deals on the basis of having 3½% of world GDP, rather than as part of a bloc with 23% of world GDP."

In terms of business Brexit is like tying one-hand behind your back and celebrating your ability to do so.

I'm not arguing a lack of democratic accountability or negative consequences of the migration crisis. I am in favour of reformed membership and not in favour of ever-closer union.

It is scaremongering to suggest there will be a UK economic collapse if we leave.

Overall I don't think our views are that far apart but I have more faith in our ability to negotiate a deal that means we decide what we will sign up to, not get outvoted by qualified majority voting on numerous issues.

The argument that we should fully immerse ourselves in Europe steering it in our direction is delusional in my view. If a majority are heading in one direction 'ever closer union' which they are we can apply a bit of pressure on the brake (as we have been) but steering on to a new course is impossible. Can anyone explain how we are going to negotiate significant directional changes better suited to our view from within when we can't even get minor changes when we threaten to leave!

The not being part of a larger economic block is my largest concern but when balancing off the reduction in this area with membership of a club with little direct democratic responsibility heading in a direction we don't want to go while failing to secure it's borders leading to numerous security,crime and other issues I think that price on balance is to high.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In.

We need the EU and the EU needs the UK. However, the EU needs to reappraise the whole borders and immigration issue. The UK might be taken more seriously in the EU if the 'IN' voters win this referendum. Germany cannot run the show alone.

Jan 30, 2008
I understand they are not all from the EU, this figure counts for people outside the EU as well, I know that, but what people are not getting here is the numbers of people who have arrived in the EU. How long before they are given EU status? More and more people will come to UK not less.
interesting report on breakfast news about rogue landlords and over crowded properties in certain ares of the country , guess what the properties shown all has asian occupants one had 20 people living in it .............yes lets have more of this
regards
DR

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

UBS chairman: Brexit will not undermine the City of London
Britain’s financial centre will still have access to Europe if the UK leaves the EU, according to Axel Weber

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...it-will-not-undermine-the-City-of-London.html

Brexit may benefit City of London in the long run, says top consultancy
Analysts say long-term benefits for UK finance sector from bilateral deals with emerging markets could outweigh short-term costs of leaving EU
http://www.theguardian.com/business...f-london-in-the-long-run-says-top-consultancy

Jan 30, 2008
UBS chairman: Brexit will not undermine the City of London
Britain’s financial centre will still have access to Europe if the UK leaves the EU, according to Axel Weber

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...it-will-not-undermine-the-City-of-London.htmlcan you really trust a banker mate

Brexit may benefit City of London in the long run, says top consultancy
Analysts say long-term benefits for UK finance sector from bilateral deals with emerging markets could outweigh short-term costs of leaving EU
http://www.theguardian.com/business...f-london-in-the-long-run-says-top-consultancy
can you really trust a banker either way they spin it these days
regards
DR

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would be nice as a UK citizen if you could just turn up at a heavily-understaffed Gatwick immigration on your return from a couple of days away and not have to stand in line for a stupid amount of time with the rest of the fvcking European Union. Just saying, like.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Would be nice as a UK citizen if you could just turn up at a heavily-understaffed Gatwick immigration on your return from a couple of days away and not have to stand in line for a stupid amount of time with the rest of the fvcking European Union. Just saying, like.
We are a Grumpy box today arent we :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here