Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] EURO 2022 Official Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Plenty of women's teams sometimes play against boys to get a different type of challenge, and from the outcomes it is pretty safe to say that they would struggle against any group of reasonably fit grown-up men... which is the reason we generally don't do mixed genders in sports.

Not quite sure why this question is brought up all the time. Was a similar thing when women's football broke through and became popular in Sweden back in 2001.. plenty of "could you ever beat the men's team?" question etc.

Rarely hear that about other sports. "Wonder where Paula Radcliffe would end up in a men's 5000m race?" Well, dead last. But its just the biological reality and something that you should shrug off. As long as the teams facing eachother are on a similar level, sports can be exciting no matter how much muscles the players have.

Yeah they would, and Brighton in 96/97 would be beaten by about a thousand different teams... did you watch that Hereford game you guys always talk about or did you sit at home watching Deportivo beat Sevilla 3-0? If your kids play football, are you not excited watching them play?

If sports was only interesting/entertaining because of the raw quality of the players/football, people would have no reason to watch any other teams than the ten best or so in the world... which luckily isn't the case.

I didn’t say it wasn’t interesting. I’m sure most of the sporting nation will watch the semi and final if we get there, including me, and it’ll be all over the news. But that doesn’t make it high quality. The Hereford game is actually a great comparison. One of the worst technical games you’ll ever see. We were angry about our home but also about how terrible we’d become. The difference is losing that would have ruined my life as I knew it. If / when England lose I’ll finish my beer, go to bed and sleep well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I dont understand why some people are trying to compare womens football to mens, its a different game. In exactly the same way as Tennis, cycling, or practically every sport is.

Its not as fast, in the same way womens tennis is not as fast, or women cyclists are not as fast. Its not yet as technically skillful-although they are catching up,there is a greater difference between the best teams and the second best teams, but thats also changing

Its not as full of blatant cheats, its not as full of players intimidating refs, its not full of time wasting (although they are improving on that front!)

No one is forcing anyone to go watch it, but well over 250 000 people have seen the games live so far, and certainly the England games at the Amex have resulted in best part of 60 000 very happy spectators. The viewing figures are huge on TV and Streaming

If its not your thing, dont watch it, but there are a huge number of people that do and love it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The continual comparison with the men’s game to diss the women’s sport is nonsensical………could do the same with countless other sports (cricket, golf, athletics, hockey, tennis etc etc etc). So what ? Also, the players are technically better than county league men but sure, they wouldn’t be able to cope with 6’4” CBs at set pieces and the like. For every element of the men’s game that’s ‘better’, there’s a part of the women’s game that ‘wins’ IMO (already covered in here but things like lack of timewasting, ref-surrounding, injury feigning, lack of abusive crowd elements, no segregation etc etc).

Have to agree. I've seen a couple of the internationals at the Amex although not this tournament. I fail to understand the continual comparisons with what should be considered a different sport. Unfortunately, I think there are many in the game that perpetuate this nonsense, including those on the women's side of the fence. I think it does them a disservice. Focus on building the sport separately. It is incredible how far it has come even over the last 15 years and is on an upward trajectory. It is up to the local FA's to use this tournament and the success of the team to advance the sport at grass roots. I used to manage a girls team for 8 years and was astonished how little the Sussex FA did when the England progressed to the World Cup Semi finals in 2015. The team has gone further than they had ever done and I expected a lot of promotion of the girls game in the run up to the following season but there was hardly any.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have to agree. I've seen a couple of the internationals at the Amex although not this tournament. I fail to understand the continual comparisons with what should be considered a different sport. Unfortunately, I think there are many in the game that perpetuate this nonsense, including those on the women's side of the fence. I think it does them a disservice. Focus on building the sport separately. It is incredible how far it has come even over the last 15 years and is on an upward trajectory. It is up to the local FA's to use this tournament and the success of the team to advance the sport at grass roots. I used to manage a girls team for 8 years and was astonished how little the Sussex FA did when the England progressed to the World Cup Semi finals in 2015. The team has gone further than they had ever done and I expected a lot of promotion of the girls game in the run up to the following season but there was hardly any.

Spot on. Will be interesting to see how this tournament is used to promote the women’s game - particularly locally. I know the ‘fan engagement officer’ at Lewes is all over it.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
As the father of 2 girls, I love women's football. I love it because it has given my girls something to aspire to.

When I was young I dreamed of playing for the albion and because of women's football both of my daughters also dream of playing for Brighton.

Both of my girls play for their local team and all of their team mates also dream of going professional.

Women's football may not be up to the standard of men's football, but I get just as much satisfaction watching my girls play as I do watching the albions mens team.

I took my eldest daughter to the England vs Spain game the other night and after watching the girls win, she went to be dreaming of playing for England in front of a full house stadium. Without women's football she would not have that dream.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I didn’t say it wasn’t interesting. I’m sure most of the sporting nation will watch the semi and final if we get there, including me, and it’ll be all over the news. But that doesn’t make it high quality. The Hereford game is actually a great comparison. One of the worst technical games you’ll ever see. We were angry about our home but also about how terrible we’d become. The difference is losing that would have ruined my life as I knew it. If / when England lose I’ll finish my beer, go to bed and sleep well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. I was going to say that no one who has ever watched Brighton in the lower divisions can EVER complain about the skill level of the women's game. Yes they'd probably be physically weaker and be bullied off the ball and lose if they played a men's team - but that's how technically inferior teams often beat more skilful sides. Skill-wise they piss all over the Brighton and Hereford players of that era.

And as you say for you a Brighton defeat always hurts more, much more, than an England defeat. Fair enough, but that applies to a lot (most?) people on here with regard to ANY England team regardless of sport or gender. Whenever the England men's football team play for example NSC is full of posts from people falling over themselves to say how much they 'don't care' about England.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As the father of 2 girls, I love women's football. I love it because it has given my girls something to aspire to.

When I was young I dreamed of playing for the albion and because of women's football both of my daughters also dream of playing for Brighton.

Both of my girls play for their local team and all of their team mates also dream of going professional.

Women's football may not be up to the standard of men's football, but I get just as much satisfaction watching my girls play as I do watching the albions mens team.

I took my eldest daughter to the England vs Spain game the other night and after watching the girls win, she went to be dreaming of playing for England in front of a full house stadium. Without women's football she would not have that dream.

I’ve noticed watching Lewes regularly how the young girls in the crowd (plus the mascots) treat the players like heroines - they’re absolute role models for these kids and giving them something to aspire to. Incidentally also good to see how accommodating the players are with selfies, autographs etc. It’s great all round.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
Any tips on how to get tickets for the final at Wembley? I thought to trial the website this morning for the additional Sweden tickets and it was shambolic.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Can anyone who has attended any of these games so far advise me as to whether I really need to bring all of our passports to the game? I’ve got tickets for the Germany v France semi-final and the EUFA website is suggesting that we need to bring our passports with us to the game.

I’d like to avoid this if possible, especially as we’re going on holiday in a couple of weeks, I’d rather not risk losing our passports!

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Can anyone who has attended any of these games so far advise me as to whether I really need to bring all of our passports to the game? I’ve got tickets for the Germany v France semi-final and the EUFA website is suggesting that we need to bring our passports with us to the game.

I’d like to avoid this if possible, especially as we’re going on holiday in a couple of weeks, I’d rather not risk losing our passports!

We’ve certainly not needed any ID at all for the matches at the Amex. Not saying no one has been asked to prove who they are, but we certainly haven’t.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We’ve certainly not needed any ID at all for the matches at the Amex. Not saying no one has been asked to prove who they are, but we certainly haven’t.

This. I’m not aware of anyone that had to show ID to attend a game so far…….certainly wasn’t being checked at the Amex. Didn’t even know it was a requirement - looking at the rules seems like it would only be required if there was a problem with your ticket

Do I have to carry my ID/passport or some sort of document with me at the stadium? What about children?

As per the UEFA WOMEN’S EURO 2022™ TICKETING TERMS AND CONDITIONS, to enter the stadium, all spectators are required to present a valid ticket and, only upon request, an identification document.

This document should match, if possible, the reference provided in the mobile tickets app. The ID/passport number should correspond to a document commonly accepted as proof of identity in your country, e.g.: passport, national identity card, driving license, health insurance card, or any type of valid identification document.

Each ticket holder (1 ticket or multiple) must bring an identification document in the event some assistance with the tickets is needed on match day (e.g.: help with mobile tickets, seating, etc.). All parents/guardians will be responsible for all under 16s, as per stadium rules. Therefore, under 16s do not require ID if the parent/guardian present is in possession.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Tonight is the night... pretty excited.

A lot of secrecy around the Swedish team, not completely clear if the three Covid girls could play, if team captain Caroline Seger has returned from injury and if Kosovare Asllani is able to play as she's missed some training sessions. If all those are missing, it will be very difficult. But yeah I hope we beat the shit out of you... my bet is that it goes to penalties and from there we all know there is only one outcome.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Tonight is the night... pretty excited.

A lot of secrecy around the Swedish team, not completely clear if the three Covid girls could play, if team captain Caroline Seger has returned from injury and if Kosovare Asllani is able to play as she's missed some training sessions. If all those are missing, it will be very difficult. But yeah I hope we beat the shit out of you... my bet is that it goes to penalties and from there we all know there is only one outcome.

Starting to feel the nerves now.

When it's the top news story on BBC1 at 6 o'clock you know it's a huge thing. I just hope we can get that early goal to settle us down. A repeat of the previous round and it won't do my blood pressure any good. But we want that place in the final at Wembley so much.

This is an incredible moment in the history of women's football. Let's grab this opportunity and change attitudes, the number of girls dreaming of being part of the pinnacle of winning a major trophy at Wembley in front of 80,000 fans.

Let's seize the day. We believe in you girls. Please do us proud once again! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Cant believe this was top story on the BBC1 news, no one would have mentioned about this a few years ago.

I guess everyone should be buying Lioness tops and rainbow ones as well.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm going to be watching, but, like any Albion game, I'm upstairs whilst the women, who this tournament is for, sit downstairs with the big TV. (too many comma's?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here