Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Tea, Day One,

England 147-4 (57 overs)

Root 34* Stokes 1*

28 overs 80 runs 3 wickets in the session. South Africa will be happier with that session.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What a stupid reply obviously I was talking about recent games but then I expect no less from you.

Roland-Jones took 8 wickets and averaged 50 with the bat, on debut, in the last Test :shrug:

Test cricket is tough. Most batsmen will need a few Tests to find their way.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Roland-Jones took 8 wickets and averaged 50 with the bat, on debut, in the last Test :shrug:

Test cricket is tough. Most batsmen will need a few Tests to find their way.

Agreed, but you can tell on some fairly quickly whether their technique is up to it. Ballance plays too far back in his crease, Robson was shotless and so on.

Next will be Stoneman.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agreed, but you can tell on some fairly quickly whether their technique is up to it. Ballance plays too far back in his crease, Robson was shotless and so on.

Next will be Stoneman.

Agreed. Westley has made a reasonable start, to put a dent in the theory that 'none of them are good enough'. Jennings clearly does have some talent, albeit with a glaring flaw outside the off stump. He might be significantly more reliable outside of England, away from the swinging ball.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Agreed. Westley has made a reasonable start, to put a dent in the theory that 'none of them are good enough'. Jennings clearly does have some talent, albeit with a glaring flaw outside the off stump. He might be significantly more reliable outside of England, away from the swinging ball.

Stoneman scored more than Jennings last season and this. However as Jennings was in the Lions set up, he was next cab off the rank.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The Englishman highest in County Championship Div One averages:

Gary Ballance: 8 matches, 11 innings, 815 runs, highest 203*, average 101.88

It will probably be him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stoneman scored more than Jennings last season and this. However as Jennings was in the Lions set up, he was next cab off the rank.

Stoneman can certainly consider himself unfortunate not to have had a chance. I'd imagine Jennings being 5 years his junior was a factor.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What a stupid reply obviously I was talking about recent games but then I expect no less from you.
If you just meant recent games, why did you say they are 'never good enough'? That implies you don't just think the recent debutantes haven't been good enough, but they've, well, never been good enough.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Westley has been ok but not set the world alight but give him time. We havent replaced Strauss or Peterson as yet and that must be what we are lacking at the moment

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
de Kock just let that one go... Root edged and it was easily his catch... and he didn't go... shocking after his earlier efforts too.

Lucky Root.... Morkel steaming!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here