Beckham - Past it
Cole - Poofter who cheats on CHERYL TWEEDY :wrong:

Exactly, leaving us realisticaly with
A) Barry
B) Lampard

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
None of the ones you've named - all are "tainted" in some way. I was never in favour of John Terry as I think he's a very ordinary centre half who was just in the right place at the right time. The best player there is Rooney but being captain may affect his talent as someone above said and he'd be all over the pitch like Beckham used to be when we need him up front
If it's "role model" material you're after I'd suggest Gareth Barry probably

Terry -complete and utter tosser but along with Rooney probably the only player absolutely guaranteed to start
Gerrard - only turns up to play for England when it suits him and his club and a bad example given his thuggish tendancies
Rooney - is paying for prostitutes and being addicted to gambling a good example to our youth
Cole - out and out thug and serial shagger
Lampard - a piss artist and total prat

So THAT'S who reads the News of the World. :jester:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i want to say Barry, but im not sure he has the energy to rouse the troops in an international. i like the way he can quitely get on with his very effective role of covering half the pitch defensively and still aid the attack. think the captaincy might interfere with that.

so it has to be Lampard or Gerrard and which ever one gets it is effectivly guranteed to play. on balance, i think Gerrard is the man, energy and in everyones face. the objections against him seem to be because he's a scouser. i dont quite see Lampard getting the automatic pick and when things go against he's prone to losing focus.

one to watch for next generation, Milner, too soon for him though.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
one to watch for next generation, Milner, too soon for him though.

Good call, but think you are right, he is still at the breaking into England stage...definitely one for the future!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
the skipper has to be an automatic pick for the starting XI

And therein lies half the problem. NOBODY should be an "automatic pick" for a start in an England shirt. Why do we have to have a designated England Captain who is always picked, and wears the armband regardless of form and (in Beckhams case previously) fitness ?

Pick a squad on its merits and then choose a captain from it. Yes more often than not it'll be the same player most of the time, but it doesn't HAVE to be, does it. Strikes me it just turns into a nice little earner for whoever is bestowed England Captain status until retirement, and we get a big tedious hoo-haa over him "losing" the armband for whatever reason.

Announce each squad as normal. Then annouce the captain. Whats so hard about that ?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Never wanted Terry in the role in the first place. Would go for Gerrard seems to thrive on the role at Liverpool and think he would do the same for England.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Barry. Best reader of a game in Premiership. Shows up best when given enough freedom by his manager, club/country.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Exactly, leaving us realisticaly with
A) Barry
B) Lampard

Lampard is is serial adulterer too. Barry is at city with bridge and that would create just as much a dressing room split as terry staying.

This is a load of rubbish. Keep terry hes a footballer not Jeremy Kyle!

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Gerrard - Just escaped ABH charge
Lampard - Been a good boy for a while now
J. Cole - Married and calmer
A. Cole - TWAT
Beckham - Had affair with the Loos woman
Terry - Thug, Gambler, Adulterer
Ferdinand - See Lampard
Barry - Well behaved not automatic pick if Hargreaves gets fit
Hargreaves - Injury prone
Rooney - Likes Prostitutes but been a good boy for a while

lets face it taking the captaincy from Terry will just put it in the hands of another poor example to kids. Then again Tony Adams was a top captain and lord knows he had his problems.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's not a very impressive set of options is it.

Personally, I would name one at this stage. I'd pick the team and select the captain out of that 11. Otherwise you are restricting it to people who are effectively guaranteed a place, and I wouldn't want Rio, Gerrard, Lampard or even Terry to be that sure of themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here