Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

End of season clear out

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Don't show anymore interest in Andrews.

Caskey, Ankergren, Brezovan, Bruno, Greer can all go.

Anyone else?

I'd probably get rid of one keeper there. The rest, especially Bruno and Greer, are needed. How many games have you watched? Bruno is one of our offensive strengths, and is possibly the most technical skilled right back in the league. Sure he defensively lapses every now and again, but if he didn't he'd be in the Premiership. He's the same age as Ashley Cole, would you turn him down?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
You didn't listen to Barber's interview on BBC Sussex last week, did you? Barber repeated that Oscar has the first and last say on transfers - he helps identify the targets, then it is up to everyone else to go and get them.

Plus, we have to remember that because we are interested in the player, it doesn't mean that it is reciprocal: there's firstly the transfer fee, then there's the wages/other fees...then the agent (which is apparently what scuppered the Grabban deal). Plus geography - we're an attractive club but for players up north then they won't want to uproot their families etc.

If it was the same as Football Manager or Fifa then it'd be fantastic, but it isn't.

Anyway, my list is as follows:

Release:
Casper
Lopez
Possibly Brez (i'd love to see Smith/Walton given a chance, but i can see one being given the #3 slot and keeping Brez as experienced backup)

Return:
Lingard (I think we all know it's only a short-term arrangement)
Andrews (good, but i reckon we can probably do better)

Mutual Termination: Kemy (we can't release him, or we'd have to pay his contract up). Keep if him/the club can sort out any issues

New deals:
Orlandi (injury prone, but our key player when fit)
Hoskins (another year to prove himself and stay fit)
Greer (mainstay of our defence for the past 4 years, experience will be vital)
Upson (definitely if he is happy to have 1yr deals)
Bruno
Calderon (another year with a view to moving into coaching?)

Try to sign: Ward (he's been really consistent this season, plus is versatile enough. Whilst he is on high wages at Wolves i doubt they'll have him back)

If you think about it, if he knows his next deal is not going to be worth anywhere near as much as his current deal, could he decide to run down his Wolves contract? Or come to some sort of arrangement with them to pay him off? Otherwise why would he voluntarily take a much lower wage?

A clear out is totally unwarranted - we have a good squad that should be performing better.

With one or two additions up front and in attacking midfield, we actually have a squad capable of automatic promotion.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A clear out is totally unwarranted - we have a good squad that should be performing better.

With one or two additions up front and in attacking midfield, we actually have a squad capable of automatic promotion.

Wow! I agree with LI!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If you think about it, if he knows his next deal is not going to be worth anywhere near as much as his current deal, could he decide to run down his Wolves contract? Or come to some sort of arrangement with them to pay him off? Otherwise why would he voluntarily take a much lower wage?

I suppose it depends on whether he is the kind of player who would want to sit there and take his pay without possibly playing (it depends on his relationship with the current management) or if playing is much more important.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
You didn't listen to Barber's interview on BBC Sussex last week, did you? Barber repeated that Oscar has the first and last say on transfers - he helps identify the targets, then it is up to everyone else to go and get them.

Plus, we have to remember that because we are interested in the player, it doesn't mean that it is reciprocal: there's firstly the transfer fee, then there's the wages/other fees...then the agent (which is apparently what scuppered the Grabban deal). Plus geography - we're an attractive club but for players up north then they won't want to uproot their families etc.

If it was the same as Football Manager or Fifa then it'd be fantastic, but it isn't.

Anyway, my list is as follows:

Release:
Casper
Lopez
Possibly Brez (i'd love to see Smith/Walton given a chance, but i can see one being given the #3 slot and keeping Brez as experienced backup)

Return:
Lingard (I think we all know it's only a short-term arrangement)
Andrews (good, but i reckon we can probably do better)

Mutual Termination: Kemy (we can't release him, or we'd have to pay his contract up). Keep if him/the club can sort out any issues

New deals:
Orlandi (injury prone, but our key player when fit)
Hoskins (another year to prove himself and stay fit)
Greer (mainstay of our defence for the past 4 years, experience will be vital)
Upson (definitely if he is happy to have 1yr deals)
Bruno
Calderon (another year with a view to moving into coaching?)

Try to sign: Ward (he's been really consistent this season, plus is versatile enough. Whilst he is on high wages at Wolves i doubt they'll have him back)

So Oscar chose Lita,Agustien and Obika then, if so he has really gone down in my estimations.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
So Oscar chose Lita,Agustien and Obika then, if so he has really gone down in my estimations.

They may have been on a list...it doesn't mean they were near the top of the list, but they may have been on the list.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with initially targeting those players - nobody knows whether the loan will work (Zamora, Sidwell) or if they will fail miserably (Paynter, Obika). It's a lottery.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that one of the biggest problems we face with location is the differing value of property from say Leeds or Bolton to Brighton your £300k will not buy a similar house in or near Brighton.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I would think that one of the biggest problems we face with location is the differing value of property from say Leeds or Bolton to Brighton your £300k will not buy a similar house in or near Brighton.

That's a good point (i don't know how many players prefer to buy or let, but that's a different matter) but also it's family - it's not just themselves, they may have a partner and kids who may need to move down from a different part of the country and change jobs/schools etc.

Look at Forest as an example: They wanted Warnock, but he was settled in the south-west and didn't want to move. I know he's older and a manager but the same logic applies.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It all comes down to value. Without knowing who earns what I'd find it very hard to say who I think should go.

The definite departures should be Ankergren, Brezovan, Rodriguez, Lopez and Andrews because regardless of what they earn they just haven't been good enough. Beyond that, it comes down to who is taking a hefty wage that could be better used elsewhere. For instance, Bruno/Kuszczak/Upson/Kazenga/Orlandi are decent, skilful players, albeit not top-rate stars worth breaking the bank for, so if they'll take £6k a week I'd keep them, but if they're on £10k I'd be waving goodbye.

Once again talking sense on this subject.

JFC is 19 everyone, younger than a lot of the development squad, have a bit of patience. He's playing regular championship football at an early age and personally I think he looks very composed. The next 2-3 years are crucial to his development, he's a player that will improve a lot with experience - he's not a big pysical specimin like Ince, he's a clever keep the ball link man. More games will do him him the world of good.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

JFC is 19 everyone, younger than a lot of the development squad, have a bit of patience. He's playing regular championship football at an early age and personally I think he looks very composed. The next 2-3 years are crucial to his development, he's a player that will improve a lot with experience - he's not a big pysical specimin like Ince, he's a clever keep the ball link man. More games will do him him the world of good.

I agree. What I want to see from him is ideally a ball, and if not a break from midfield, that really hurts the opposition. He really needs to show this in the advanced midfield role that he's played for so much of this season. I've been really impressed with his link-up play and his pressing, but that's just not enough to get him picked week in, week out. I really take your point about his age and development, but think it's time to see Lopez play that role, that's if Orlandi remains unfit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My impression of JFC is that he is very slow in thought and movement, overweight but has some ability with the ball at his feet which he doesnt exploit enough. Have reservations on whether he will make the grade above Lg 1. Next season will be very important for him.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
but think it's time to see Lopez play that role, that's if Orlandi remains unfit.

I don't disagree with you there as it goes. I think it's far more suited to Lopez's talents than playing out wide. Talk of getting rid of JFC is ridiculously premature, I'd imagine he's on peanuts compared to say Agustein.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
My impression of JFC is that he is very slow in thought and movement, overweight but has some ability with the ball at his feet which he doesnt exploit enough. Have reservations on whether he will make the grade above Lg 1. Next season will be very important for him.

League 1 at best. Another "brilliant" youngster who turns out to be gash. Like Jake Robinson.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008

Absolutely agree. I think JFC has done ok.Yes he is young and will make mistakes the same as Ince and March, but they have not let us down and have definitely done as well as some of the senior players. I feel sorry for any u21 players that get promoted into the squad. One mistake and they are crucified by some people on here.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I would go with this but why Kuzszak

If he's on the higher end of the wage spectrum I don't think he's worth the money. I've seen a gradual decline in his performances over the season. If he's on less money I have no problem keeping him. I'd like to see some younger keepers come through.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I think that that's less of an issue when you're on 400-500k a year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here