EFL Trophy Group Stage Draw 27 July - Confirmation of Category 1 Academy invitations

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
Assume this will have to be at the Amex rather than Lancing due to segregation issues etc??

The rules state the following:-

"Invited clubs ( the Category 1 Academies) will play one home game at the club’s first team stadium."

That said, looks like all West Ham's fixtures are away ( breaking the rules and spirit of the competition in the process) and disappointing Wycombe, Coventry and Northampton in the process.

Taxpayers are picking a lot of the bill for West Ham's stadium running costs - imagine the repair bill if Millwall were drawn there.......

Edit.. Turns out West Ham have to pay for extra games played at the London (Olympic) Stadium, so would have to pay extra over their peppercorn rent out of their TV money.

If this is the case they should have turned down their EFL Trophy invitation.

To avoid bore-draws the following American-style innovation has also been introduced.

- Clubs will be awarded 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. In the event of a drawn game (after 90 minutes), a penalty shootout will be held with the winning team earning an additional point.

Last edited:

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
It is a real kick in the teeth and I for one think it is great!

Tony invests in the U23 and Academy and this must be great for developing the players.

TNBA

TTF

Portsmouth have got Reading U-23 ( Category 1 Academy), Yeovil and Bristol Rovers. They will have to finish first or second to get a chance to take on one of the other Premiership/Championship academies and maybe meet Southampton, Chelsea etc. later

Tony Bloom's investment in the teams and infrastructure means we are the only Category 1 Academy who have not been in the Premier League (yet) and it is a better long term bet than spending 237% of income on players wages.

Five years ago we hadn't even played the first league match at the Amex.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Posted this on FB earlier...

The Football League has posted the rules for the *cough* 'EFL Trophy' online. I've read them, so you don't have to.

For the sake of clarifying one or two headlines, Brighton & Hove Albion who, in their dubious wisdom, have decided to enter the competition are to abide by the following...

• It's a 90 minute match - no extra time.

• 3pts for a win, 1pt for a draw, and a bonus point for winning a subsequent penalty shoot-out in the event of a draw

• Winners of the group play at home to runners-up of another Southern group, (though not the team from your group) in the 'Round of 32'

• Subsequent rounds are unseeded, though the rules don't determine whether they are regional or not

• Round of 32 through to QF are one-legged affairs, 90 mins, no extra-time. Penalty shoot-out if necessary.

• SF is one-legged, played at the 'Home' drawn club, though it hasn't been decided whether there will be extra time

• Final is also a one-off, though it hasn't been decided whether there will be extra time

• Albion's home match(es) to be played at the Amex

• No dates shedules have been set for subsequent rounds after the group stages

• No date has been set for the final - though it will be at Wembley

• At least six starting players for the Albion must be under 21. No reference to needing to replace an U21 player with another, so could finish a match with three U21 players.

• League 1 / League 2 teams must field full strength sides, upon risk of financial penalty

• Nothing in the rules to keep 'Invited' (i.e. Academy) teams apart in the knockout rounds

• Regional split appears to be 12 northernmost teams from L1 and 12 northernmost teams from L2, plus 16 northernmost teams from 'Invited Pool' form Northern region. Cambridge United, being one of the more northerly teams from L2 (implying a Southern-heavy L2 this season) are considered a team from the 'north'. Why they couldn't lump 24 northernmost teams from L1/L2 combined in one region, gawd knows. I stand to be corrected on this score, mind...

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I think it's a great idea and a great way for the u21/23's to gain some much needed experience playing "proper" football!
Considering that the "big" clubs have been playing reserves sides for years in the League cup to help their youngsters gain experience, I think it's great that we have a chance to do the same.

Also more Brighton matches for us to watch and see how Hambo/Harper/Bjordal/Hunt/Molumby etc play - might even get to Wembley! bring it on!

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
Some of the serial moaning ( nailed on gold medal for GB if it was an Olympic sport) will hopefully have subsided about League 2 teams having excessive travel due to being in the Northern part of the draw.

This is the case for Cheltenham and Cambridge as they are geographically part of the 12 most northerly League 2 clubs.

It's transpired that Cheltenham and Cambridge have 2 out of their 3 group stage fixtures at home including Everton and Middlesborough, respectively.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Posted this on FB earlier...

The Football League has posted the rules for the *cough* 'EFL Trophy' online. I've read them, so you don't have to.

For the sake of clarifying one or two headlines, Brighton & Hove Albion who, in their dubious wisdom, have decided to enter the competition are to abide by the following...

• It's a 90 minute match - no extra time.

• 3pts for a win, 1pt for a draw, and a bonus point for winning a subsequent penalty shoot-out in the event of a draw

• Winners of the group play at home to runners-up of another Southern group, (though not the team from your group) in the 'Round of 32'

• Subsequent rounds are unseeded, though the rules don't determine whether they are regional or not

• Round of 32 through to QF are one-legged affairs, 90 mins, no extra-time. Penalty shoot-out if necessary.

• SF is one-legged, played at the 'Home' drawn club, though it hasn't been decided whether there will be extra time

• Final is also a one-off, though it hasn't been decided whether there will be extra time

• Albion's home match(es) to be played at the Amex

• No dates shedules have been set for subsequent rounds after the group stages

• No date has been set for the final - though it will be at Wembley

• At least six starting players for the Albion must be under 21. No reference to needing to replace an U21 player with another, so could finish a match with three U21 players.

• League 1 / League 2 teams must field full strength sides, upon risk of financial penalty

• Nothing in the rules to keep 'Invited' (i.e. Academy) teams apart in the knockout rounds

• Regional split appears to be 12 northernmost teams from L1 and 12 northernmost teams from L2, plus 16 northernmost teams from 'Invited Pool' form Northern region. Cambridge United, being one of the more northerly teams from L2 (implying a Southern-heavy L2 this season) are considered a team from the 'north'. Why they couldn't lump 24 northernmost teams from L1/L2 combined in one region, gawd knows. I stand to be corrected on this score, mind...
What happens if we get to the Cup Final and League Cup final playing every round at home? And the Play Offs and the U23s get to the final with every knockout round at home? (I know!) Aren't we limited to the number of games that the Amex can host? And if so, I guess that just a few home cup ties for both teams along with U23 league fixtures mean we will get close.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
What happens if we get to the Cup Final and League Cup final playing every round at home? And the Play Offs and the U23s get to the final with every knockout round at home? (I know!) Aren't we limited to the number of games that the Amex can host? And if so, I guess that just a few home cup ties for both teams along with U23 league fixtures mean we will get close.

Shouldn't be a problem as the whole format may be cancelled once League One/Two chairmen read the following article and change leagues all together....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36624493

Derek Adams: 'Teams in England's League Two could play in Scottish Premiership'

'Enlightened' by move south

His next statement might divide opinion further.

"There is no doubt that teams in League Two could play in the Scottish Premiership. No question about it," he says.

"The teams that are in and around the top three or four could easily play in the top flight in Scotland. There's a very good quality."

D

Deleted member 2719

Sorry but where does that say they can not get a sponsor???

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not opposed to our using the new format to our advantage.
Adamant we should never have had the opportunity.

I do however think that people writing off experienced & battle hardened pros and forecasting a youthful Chelsea/West Ham final or some such might be surprised

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5

This is the article from the Guardian:-

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/24/johnstones-paint-football-league-trophy-sponsorship

Johnstone’s Paint to end sponsorship of Football League Trophy ( after 10 years)

"Shaun Harvey, the Football League chief executive, said: “On behalf of League One and League Two clubs, I would like to thank Johnstone’s Paint for 10 years of committed and very loyal partnership. This competition has flourished during their time as sponsor. We wish Johnstone’s Paint every success in the future and we now begin looking for a new partner for the 2016‑17 season and beyond.”

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

It's more 'they haven't yet'. Either no-one is interested sponsoring the competition, or they don't have particularly talented salespeople / organisers at the Football League. Somewhere down the line it's evidently a difficult sell, as they are officially announcing the details of a competition due to start in a few weeks, without having a sponsor, finalised the rules nor worked out a schedule.

D

Deleted member 2719

This is the article from the Guardian:-

We wish Johnstone’s Paint every success in the future and we now begin looking for a new partner for the 2016‑17 season and beyond.”

That still does not say they can't get a sponsor though.

Watch this space.

D

Deleted member 2719

It's more 'they haven't yet'. Either no-one is interested sponsoring the competition, or they don't have particularly talented salespeople / organisers at the Football League. Somewhere down the line it's evidently a difficult sell, as they are officially announcing the details of a competition due to start in a few weeks, without having a sponsor, finalised the rules nor worked out a schedule.

Let's just say they may just be one around the corner.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How do you know that???

They wouldn't call it the Football Trophy if it had a sponsor. The sponsor's name would be on it eg. Piglets Pantry Trophy.

They've been trying since March and nothing has happened yet. Form an orderly queue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports