[Albion] Eddie Nketiah

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Paper talk is hilarious.
Trippier was rumoured to be going to Newcastle for £25 million. Signed for £12 million.
On that basis we might be in the chase :)

Apparently Man Utd were prepared to pay £40M for Trippier in the summer. And apparently the Newcastle deal has same again in add-ons (a lot of it is around staying up)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not convinced with this lad. I’d love to us get someone In the summer who has a bit more experience in playing top flight football.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Didn’t Palace buy Edouard in the summer and agree to pay him c£80k per week. Surely they won’t do a similar thing for another striker 6 months later. They spent c £50m in the summer on Olise, Edouard and the Chelsea CB whose name escapes me.

Palace already seem to have given up on Edouard as a striker and play him mainly on the left. Still, with all the extra season-ticket revenue from that new stand that's opening any day they can afford to keep buying and paying strikers until they find one that actually scores goals.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Palace probably will.

I thought Palace decided they definately wouldn't. Rumour was that the player (or his agent) were being too greedy, and wanted £80K plus a week, so they basically told him to sling his hook.
I know it's too much to hope for that the PL wages bubble is about to burst, but I do wonder whether some players - especially young ones with relatively little first team experience - who choose to run down their lucrative contracts will start to find that once they become unemployed, the pay offers (though still probably eye-watering to the rest of us) will not be in the stratospheric levels they are expecting.
How long do you hold out for £80K plus a week when you're on £0, and the only offers on the table are around £30K or £40K a week because it's now the clubs that are setting the levels, not your agent?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I see that the Argus are making clickbait from the possibility of us signing this player.

There is not a chance we’ll be in for him.

Nketiah is going to go to the club who’ll pay him the most. Looks like Leverkusen are going to get him on a pre-contract this month. They have about £150m worth of talent in Wirtz, Diaby & Schick waiting to be sold; they can afford his astonishing salary demands.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Even big spending Palace are wincing at his wages. No chance we'll be paying him what he wants.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I see that the Argus are making clickbait from the possibility of us signing this player.

There is not a chance we’ll be in for him.

Nketiah is going to go to the club who’ll pay him the most. Looks like Leverkusen are going to get him on a pre-contract this month. They have about £150m worth of talent in Wirtz, Diaby & Schick waiting to be sold; they can afford his astonishing salary demands.
Andy Naylor highlighted this morning that we tried to get him as part of the Ben White deal, so i wouldn't rule it out totally

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Andy Naylor highlighted this morning that we tried to get him as part of the Ben White deal, so i wouldn't rule it out totally.

Yes, that does seem wise from what you say added to the fact that he ‘fits the profile’. The salary is the only hurdle and potentially one that can’t be scaled if it’s true that Palace had a bid accepted by Arsenal but could not match the player’s money demands in the summer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Andy Naylor highlighted this morning that we tried to get him as part of the Ben White deal, so i wouldn't rule it out totally

If the reason we didn't make him part of the White deal was because of wages, then unless he has lowered his demands then nothing changes. I suppose we could throw the extra £40K a week of saved Locadia wages at the deal, but not much else is different.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
If the reason we didn't make him part of the White deal was because of wages, then unless he has lowered his demands then nothing changes. I suppose we could throw the extra £40K a week of saved Locadia wages at the deal, but not much else is different.
Is that the reason? I don't know. I don't really remember the story tbh i figured it was all noise and agent talk until i saw that on the Athletic this morning

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is that the reason? I don't know. I don't really remember the story tbh i figured it was all noise and agent talk until i saw that on the Athletic this morning

There was a lot of commentary in the summer that even high paying Palace couldn't afford his wages.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

That wasn't the reason that Ornstein / The Athletic reported back in August. (although he didn't go into a lot of detail) It was because Arsenal wanted to get him to sign a new contract / and moves from Palace failed because they couldn't agree a fee.

"The Athletic understands Brighton explored recruiting Nketiah as part of the deal that took Ben White in the opposite direction for £50 million earlier this month.
That did not appeal to Arsenal as they focused on tying Nketiah to fresh terms, which has so far proved unsuccessful — the proposal was turned down — and Brighton is now an unlikely option"
https://theathletic.com/2783367/202...west-hams-zouma-move-ward-prowses-pay-record/

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Really hope we are in the mix for this.

We will be back to a period of missing chances and possibly injuries to our striking options again so like all prem sides aspiring for anything we need more options up top

My Sunday side has more options up top than us at the moment.

Its a risk if we dont

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think we need a striker, but I don't really think Nketiah is the one we particularly need. I'd rather we went after someone more like Chris Wood, good in the air, able to bring others into play and lead the line.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Find this one a bit strange. Nketiah's record compares very closely with Aaron Connolly's. They've both scored 5 goals in the EPL, Nketiah from 38 games, Connolly from 45. Aaron has one more assist and has also won 3 penalties to Nketiah's zero. Their shooting accuracy is almost identical. Nketiah has less big chances missed and less minutes per goal, but he has also been playing in a more successful team. Both have international experience at age level. Connolly also has full caps. Nketiah is a year older and a couple of inches taller. Nketiah scored 3 Championship goals in 17 games for Leeds a couple of years back. Earlier this season Nketiah scored a hat trick in the League Cup against L1 opposition, Connolly scored a brace against Championship opposition. Both are out of contract at the end of this season.

To me, the two players seem to be too close together for one to be out on loan to the Championship and the other to be the subject of a bidding war from clubs in Europe's top division. Is it because one plays for Arsenal and the other plays for Brighton?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Find this one a bit strange. Nketiah's record compares very closely with Aaron Connolly's. They've both scored 5 goals in the EPL, Nketiah from 38 games, Connolly from 45. Aaron has one more assist and has also won 3 penalties to Nketiah's zero. Their shooting accuracy is almost identical. Nketiah has less big chances missed and less minutes per goal, but he has also been playing in a more successful team. Both have international experience at age level. Connolly also has full caps. Nketiah is a year older and a couple of inches taller. Nketiah scored 3 Championship goals in 17 games for Leeds a couple of years back. Earlier this season Nketiah scored a hat trick in the League Cup against L1 opposition, Connolly scored a brace against Championship opposition. Both are out of contract at the end of this season.

To me, the two players seem to be too close together for one to be out on loan to the Championship and the other to be the subject of a bidding war from clubs in Europe's top division. Is it because one plays for Arsenal and the other plays for Brighton?

Agreed to an extent, however...

You don't mention that Nketiah's U21 (16 goals in 17 games) record is far, far better than Connolly (1 goal in 11 games, and 0 goals in 8 for the seniors), you do sort of mention that Connolly gets more big chances here which you'd hope Nketiah might put away (ie shots from 1.5 yards out, he probably got less of them at Arsenal given how high our xG stats were last season), also, what do we know of Nketiah's attitude? We know Connolly's is poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports