Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Eco protestors now vandalising works of art

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If you look on their website, they announce which roads they are going to protest on, so you can plan your journey accordingly. Yes, the side roads to a motorway will also be slow, but at least they are honest about where they'll be.
They don't sit on a motorway. they usually climb a bridge or some other structure so the police will close the motorway for safety.
And ambulances sit in deadlocked traffic while people die. What heroes.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Please this is a sensible question.. I remember as a teenager when whole of Hove Lagoon was flooded and we played on beech huts that had gone over the top, Remember could not get back on A27 from Eastbourne because a lot of A27 was flooded and of course in 80s the great hurricane. None of these have happened since. Were these caused by global warning.
You're talking about one instance of extreme weather as if that is what climate change is.

Climate change leads to worse, more frequent extreme weather events.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

UK - Commuters are late for work due to climate protest by Just Stop Oil

Pakistan - Government declares monsoon floods a 'climate catastrophe' as death toll tops 1,000

First world problems...
Though for balance, there are schools of thought that says part of the Pakistan flood problems are due to their own government policy (deforestation and building on flood plains, for example), and also massive population growth, as well as climate change. Just because the Pakistan government declares that it's all down to climate change and none of it is their own fault, does not make it true and it shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Theoretical and ethical theories of property rights and freedoms, as have been discussed up thread by some people, to contest damage done to glass and picture frames and inconvenience caused by road blocks don’t really contribute to the Climate Change debate in anyway that’s particularly helpful imo - it’s a false equivalence.

To understand it in perspective, one would have to ascribe rights to mankind universally to make a rights based principle applicable here - and that principle, using the property rights principal (ie harm all or none), would have to say that we are all entitled to harm the land, sea and air of planet or none of us are. When one starts debating Climate Change action in terms of ‘rights’ and condemning harm caused to property by protestors or harm caused to the way we want to carry out our day to day lives, one, logically, must ask then, does one person’s right to own or drive a car or cut down ones trees for firewood override another person’s right to live on their low lying pacific island home without it being flooded into non-existence? Does one person’s freedom to get from A to B unhindered by protest or to look at at paintings without soup all over the glass override the rights of another person to eke out a living from land where he has access to clean water and his animals do not die of starvation and thirst? Because this is what the protestors are saying is at stake.

Global Warming is a Global issue requiring a Global response, it’s no good individuals looking at one’s own individual rights and entitlements in isolation from everyone else’s on the planet and then saying ‘I will act to help combat climate change but only after all my rights and freedoms to live my life as I choose to have been met’. This to me goes to the crux of why the World is being too slow to respond to CC - Principles of personal freedoms and property rights might work as a basis for a adversarial legal system and for students of jurisprudence debating John Locke but it takes us no further forward in changing the behaviour of nations, or individuals.
Our greatest threat to the end of our planet is Putin, this is my main concern the moment, and how my mother and father they're going to keep warm during the winter months once that is sorted then turn my attention climate change.
This concerns me greatly. During the Pandemic, the burning of fossils was so greatly reduced, it made a significant difference to atmospheric air quality:

“Global energy demand dropped by 4% in 2020 – the largest fall since the Second World War (International Energy Agency, IEA, 2021). The world also experienced the first recession to register negative growth rates in all fossil fuels – with global oil demand falling by almost 10% – as well as the fastest increase in renewable energy sources as a share of electricity generation. These changes to global energy markets were a side effect of the pandemic and lockdowns.”

We missed a great opportunity to transition and levels of fossil fuel consumption boomed after lockdown - at least COP26 put the need for emergency action back on the table but has absolutely failed to deliver and COP27 in Egypt has barely even received media coverage. Hence the increasing desperation of climate protestors - these people really do get it.

As Jesse says, Putin’s war in Ukraine poses a significant new risk of stalling, even reversing much that has been achieved - subsequent oil and gas sanctions, the re-commissioning of nuclear power in Germany, and in the UK, 6 new oil and gas fields set to be greenlit by the Government, using the global gas crisis to justify yet more fossil fuel extraction - we taken a massive step backwards and poses the most significant danger to combatting the CC crisis. Lethary has been over taken by recklessness.

Just think, 1992 and the first UN Framework on Climate Change committing 154 nations to combat CC - the science was there. Thirty two years later and we are heading exponentially towards Global catastrophe.

WTF are we doing getting pissed off about soup being thrown at the glass of paintings for ffs?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There are many things that we humans do that are damaging the planet. The fact that the world population has more than doubled in my lifetime is a cause for concern. More needs for food, consumer products, more production of carbon dioxide (meat production = livestock farts ........... and human farts too, twice as many!), mass migration on an unprecedented scale. Not sure how glueing themselves to motorways really helps anything.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yes, one woman died, but over 1000 were imprisoned, some force fed when on hunger strike.
How on earth do you come to the conclusion that war dead led to the votes for women!
More people died of Spanish Flu after the war, than in the war, so did that have an effect too?

You might need to read up the whole right to vote thing.

Hundreds of thousands of the young men who died during WW1 also had no right to vote.

It was their deaths that prompted the view at the time that if they were good enough to die for their nation they were good enough to have the right to vote.

It also aided the women because they were required to work the jobs of the men fighting and dying while the war raged on. Thus if they were good enough to keep industry turning over they too were good enough to have the right to vote.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Though for balance, there are schools of thought that says part of the Pakistan flood problems are due to their own government policy (deforestation and building on flood plains, for example), and also massive population growth, as well as climate change. Just because the Pakistan government declares that it's all down to climate change and none of it is their own fault, does not make it true and it shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Think we're a long way from pointing the finger at the likes of Pakistan, even after outsourcing our dirty industries to the likes of China we're still running at around 6 times CO2 emissions per capita.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
There are many things that we humans do that are damaging the planet. The fact that the world population has more than doubled in my lifetime is a cause for concern. More needs for food, consumer products, more production of carbon dioxide (meat production = livestock farts ........... and human farts too, twice as many!), mass migration on an unprecedented scale. Not sure how glueing themselves to motorways really helps anything.
It keeps the debate in the public eye for one.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some commuters never got to work, the knock on effect is, important surgery not done, patients missing out, ambulances not being able to attend emergencies because I stuck behind traffic held up by these so called eco warriors.

Yes i understand to a point about something needs to happen, my gripe is that these people who block roads are not doing themselves any favours with the general public. They want us to stop oil, yet travel to a motorway by vehicle to protest against using a car. They glue themselves to the roads using oil based glue, in there oil based clothing. Thats up to them but really to make a protest stand out, glue themselves to the gates of Downing Street or other parliamentary offices, or glue themselves to the local MP.

Our greatest threat to the end of our planet is Putin, this is my main concern the moment, and how my mother and father they're going to keep warm during the winter months once that is sorted then turn my attention climate change.
What are you doing to stop Putin that is leaving no time for you to work on the climate crisis? 😂

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I wonder how many emergency vehicles get held up with just the sheer volume of traffic on the roads these days?
I also wonder how many get held up due to flooding or fallen trees caused by climate change.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not sure how glueing themselves to motorways really helps anything.
It's makes no difference at all to the planet or environment, but on a personal level its nice for these people to have a hobby.
Instead of addling their brains by virtue signalling to each other on twitter all day, pensioners and privately educated trust fund babies can now raise their own self esteem by doing group activities such as hiking, climbing, dress-up, arts and crafts with glue, and a hybrid game of British bulldog and sticky toffee.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Excellent and very astute article.

His Reports of this is rather disturbing though:

“ Last year the Swedish environmentalist Andreas Malm published How to Blow Up a Pipeline, a seductively well-written and well-researched book that argues climate activists should abandon their longstanding “commitment to absolute non-violence”, and instead “escalate” their campaign by “physically attacking the things that consume our planet”, such as fossil fuel infrastructure.”

Now I think I have an idea who could have been responsible for laying explosives on the NORD STREAM Gas pipelines - some mavericks, inspired by Malm, who thought they was ’helping climate action’ - which is effing reckless if true. I would certainly draw the line at causing significant environmental damage by destroying fossil fuel infrastructure although the total estimated Methane emissions from the ruptured NORD STREAM pipes amount to no more than a few day’s emissions from the Fuel and Gas industry. (see below)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If people really care about not delaying emergency services and as said previously delivery drivers they should be using public transport and not their car
Cars pull aside to let emergency vehicles through. Cretins glued to tarmac or pissing off the public by climbing up lampposts can’t make that choice.

These people don’t believe in “just stop oil”. They believe in being full time victims. After a long day inconveniencing people, they spend a few hours in the cells then go home on Twatter and congratulate each other on “saving the world”.

Twatter which runs on huge banks of supercomputers and server farms, which require an enormous amount of energy to run.

If it wasn’t climate change they were fixated on this week, they’d be protesting BLM, LGBT issues, or whatever current issue will get them the most pats on the bum.

I honestly think - and this is a bit out there, bordering on Swansman, but I think these are false flag operations by the oil companies. I think they infiltrate these groups of hippies with dyed pink hair, nose rings and don’t shower for a few months, then encourage the more lunatic fringe elements to do stupid things to turn public opinion against them. There is precedent for this type of “operation” throughout history from Big Business, the police and the government.

There are a lot of vulnerable people who are being taken advantage of by dragging them into this nonsense. I’d suggest they are given jobs.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Cars pull aside to let emergency vehicles through. Cretins glued to tarmac or pissing off the public by climbing up lampposts can’t make that choice.

These people don’t believe in “just stop oil”. They believe in being full time victims. After a long day inconveniencing people, they spend a few hours in the cells then go home on Twatter and congratulate each other on “saving the world”.

Twatter which runs on huge banks of supercomputers and server farms, which require an enormous amount of energy to run.

If it wasn’t climate change they were fixated on this week, they’d be protesting BLM, LGBT issues, or whatever current issue will get them the most pats on the bum.

I honestly think - and this is a bit out there, bordering on Swansman, but I think these are false flag operations by the oil companies. I think they infiltrate these groups of hippies with dyed pink hair, nose rings and don’t shower for a few months, then encourage the more lunatic fringe elements to do stupid things to turn public opinion against them. There is precedent for this type of “operation” throughout history from Big Business, the police and the government.

There are a lot of vulnerable people who are being taken advantage of by dragging them into this nonsense. I’d suggest they are given jobs.
What utter tosh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here