Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Local Election results - UKIP smashing it

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Big questions for Milliband tonight. Will he still be leader by next May? I see him as millstone around Labour's neck and they would be better off junking him now and hoping for a boost. He has 'loser' written all over him, I'm afraid.

It is quite intriguing just being a year away from the general election, just who is going to win a majority? (or even whom has the most seats). It really is unclear. If Labour is going to win a majority you would think they would be doing really well last night, but they clearly are not...and I would think as the economy gets better the Tories will pick up votes over the next 12 months. UKIP are a wildcard in all this, just how many votes (and more importantly seats) are they going to get in the big one and how decisive is this going to be. I can only really forsee catastrophe for the LibDems (60+ seats to below 20 IMO). Lets hope Norman Baker gets what he deserves and is shown the red card too :albion2:

Going back to Labour, Milliband appears so low profile don't you think, Farage has been everywhere on the box in the last 4 weeks, Cameron pops up every now and then as does Clegg, but Milliband is the invisible man. Alex Salmond is on our box more than him at the moment. I saw a party political broadcast by Labour a couple of weeks ago and I don't think I have ever seen one so pitiful, just slagging off Clegg in particular and reverting back to tired and boring old Tory rich man cliches, it was like something from a 14 year old kid, or from a miniscule left leaning party just slinging mud and tired prejudices (SWP for eg) that had no chance of ever gaining power. No attempt to address the issues the country faces....I mean what is Labour's policy/position on housing? the economy? Russia/Ukraine? It is just a void of emptiness. The only thing you ever seem to hear from Milliband when you see him (and his team) is his woeful "The cost of living crisis" mantra/catchphrase.

As an example Europe (which the national poll was all about) these are the positions as I see it UKIP (referendum tomorrow in/out) Tories (renegotiation of UK's position after 2015, followed by referendum in/out 2017) Lib Dem (status quo, possible/probable further integration) Labour ? just what is their postion/policy?

Right now mid term, if they are to win the general election, Labour (as they are not in power) should be walking something like this and they are not, because the disenchanted should be voting for them and they aren't (they are predominately voting UKIP).

Oh for Christ's sake. For a start, I think a fair few of these UKIP candidates are ex-Tories or Labour and are well aware of the local process. Secondly, I think all candidates are aware that they have a civic duty and most will fulfill the functions as well as they can - as with new candidates from other parties. Thirdly, all local councils have induction training for new local councillors and quite often mentoring from existing councillors. The world is not going to end because the party you didn't vote for have taken office.

Really, LB. Your attitude stinks. These people are democratically elected and have every right to be where they are. I can't help but sense some sort of dismay that it isn't left to (ex?) civil servants like yourself who clearly know what's best for all of us.

More like your unmedicated Richard Littlejohn ranting stinks - everyone knows Ukip are a haven for racists and imbeciles who don't have the attention span to last five minutes doing committee work. Pretty much every local newspaper across the country is going to be full of facepalm stories over the next few years as they parade their pickled golf club views out in the open. Doesn't bother me of course, as they are set fair to do a Ross Perot and divide the right-wing vote beautifully at the next general election.

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
wellquickwoodie...They have gained alot of seats....ive said well done for that already.....however, there is now much more opportunity for UKIP representatives to make complete dicks of themselves......they have started with that already...thats all...

Not moving on anyway...theres comedy gold in the future...im staying put.

If im looking silly, how does a UKIP candidate in London look....telling the country that ukip voters are effectively a bit simple?

http://ind.pn/TAX6TH

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The Greens have fulfilled their hopes of making a further advance in Solihull, gaining four seats and tying with the Lib Dems for the position of the second largest party on the council. On average the Greens have scored 10% of the vote in the wards that they have contested so far.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Forgive me for any ignorance, as i'm not the most politically versed bloke in the world:

As UKIP have made gains in seats, is it that big a deal? Personally I would be more surprised/worried if they had taken control of councils, which they've not done (but then they may not have expected to) - so they don't have any real power, non?

Again, bit of a political simpleton, so if someone can put it into plain English, that'd be epic. Ta.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
More like your unmedicated Richard Littlejohn ranting stinks - everyone knows Ukip are a haven for racists and imbeciles who don't have the attention span to last five minutes doing committee work. Pretty much every local newspaper across the country is going to be full of facepalm stories over the next few years as they parade their pickled golf club views out in the open. Doesn't bother me of course, as they are set fair to do a Ross Perot and divide the right-wing vote beautifully at the next general election.

Richard Littlejohn? Dear oh dear. Your years in the wilderness have turned you into a shit polemicist.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Tory Michael Fabricant calls for Coalition to be broken up and for Tories to govern as a minority #vote2014

Oh for Christ's sake. For a start, I think a fair few of these UKIP candidates are ex-Tories or Labour and are well aware of the local process. Secondly, I think all candidates are aware that they have a civic duty and most will fulfill the functions as well as they can - as with new candidates from other parties. Thirdly, all local councils have induction training for new local councillors and quite often mentoring from existing councillors. The world is not going to end because the party you didn't vote for have taken office.

Really, LB. Your attitude stinks. These people are democratically elected and have every right to be where they are. I can't help but sense some sort of dismay that it isn't left to (ex?) civil servants like yourself who clearly know what's best for all of us.
The LAST thing I want to see is ex-council officers or civil servants getting elected to local councils. In my experience, they are very ineffective at representing the people who elected them.

If it WAS the case that newly elected UKIP councillors enjoyed the benefit of the support mechanisms that you say are in place, they would be able to hit the ground running, just like a new councillor from one of the other parties. But I fear that isn't the case. More often than not, I suspect they rapidly realise how isolated and unsupported they are in their new role - and they don't get drawn into the work of the council. All they end up doing is promoting the wider UKIP cause, rather than doing the job of a local councillor.

I may be reading too much into what I've observed locally, out here in rural East Sussex, where a UKIP county councillor was elected last year. He is what I would call a classic case of the disgruntled bloke in the pub (and I've known him for years). A year into his council work, it's noticeable how often his name appears in the "Apologies received from ..." column of the minutes of the council committees to which he was appointed.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As an example Europe (which the national poll was all about) these are the positions as I see it UKIP (referendum tomorrow in/out) Tories (renegotiation of UK's position after 2015, followed by referendum in/out 2017) Lib Dem (status quo, possible/probable further integration) Labour ? just what is their postion/policy?

The problem Labour have if they decide to discuss the EU is that everyone will remember their downright lie about a referendum on the Lisborn Treaty. Any policy they come up with from now on around the EU people will say "but can we trust you this time ?".

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Forgive me for any ignorance, as i'm not the most politically versed bloke in the world:

As UKIP have made gains in seats, is it that big a deal? Personally I would be more surprised/worried if they had taken control of councils, which they've not done (but then they may not have expected to) - so they don't have any real power, non?

Again, bit of a political simpleton, so if someone can put it into plain English, that'd be epic. Ta.

Yep, you're right. They can just piss about and slow things down - not helpful.

It's a protest vote. Nobody is seriously going to vote UKIP in at a general election.

If they do, then to steal a Sun headline, will the last person to leave the country please turn the lights off.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A Labour / Lib Dem coalition would be awful. I think people would just vote UKIP for the hell of it, because that is worst combo ever.

Next year the LibDem vote will collapse at the General Election as voters switch to the Greens because they view them as a credible alternative , they won't get anywhere near 40 seats.

Jan 30, 2008
:bla:
wellquickwoodie...They have gained alot of seats....ive said well done for that already.....however, there is now much more opportunity for UKIP representatives to make complete dicks of themselves......they have started with that already...thats all...

Not moving on anyway...theres comedy gold in the future...im staying put.

If im looking silly, how does a UKIP candidate in London look....telling the country that ukip voters are effectively a bit simple?

http://ind.pn/TAX6TH
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
regards
DR

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Next year the LibDem vote will collapse at the General Election as voters switch to the Greens because they view them as a credible alternative , they won't get anywhere near 40 seats.

Maybe but don't underestimate the value of excellent local constituency MP's and organised and efficient campaigning. These are 2 areas the Lib Dems excel in.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

this doesn't wash any more all this. its not enough.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yep, you're right. They can just piss about and slow things down - not helpful.

It's a protest vote. Nobody is seriously going to vote UKIP in at a general election.

If they do, then to steal a Sun headline, will the last person to leave the country please turn the lights off.

Realistically if their popularity continues for another 12 months they'll only win a few target seats , we're not talking about them winning 326 seats or more.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Going back to Labour, Milliband appears so low profile don't you think, Farage has been everywhere on the box in the last 4 weeks, Cameron pops up every now and then as does Clegg, but Milliband is the invisible man. Alex Salmond is on our box more than him at the moment. I saw a party political broadcast by Labour a couple of weeks ago and I don't think I have ever seen one so pitiful, just slagging off Clegg in particular and reverting back to tired and boring old Tory rich man cliches, it was like something from a 14 year old kid, or from a miniscule left leaning party just slinging mud and tired prejudices (SWP for eg) that had no chance of ever gaining power. No attempt to address the issues the country faces....I mean what is Labour's policy/position on housing? the economy? Russia/Ukraine? It is just a void of emptiness. The only thing you ever seem to hear from Milliband when you see him (and his team) is his woeful "The cost of living crisis" mantra/catchphrase.

Labour are inept. Milliband is useless as a leader. I think he has some things right e.g. the cut to business rates; the lower rate of income tax; addressing zero-hour contracts etc. I also think that his 'cost of living' message was right.

The trouble is he is so naive and wet. I thought his attempt to bash British Gas was stupid beyond belief and to suggest breaking it up is a silly move that has other politicians flirting with it too. Brit Gas is one of UK PLC's biggest and most profitable companies. Unlike, Starbucks and Vodafone it pays a lot in taxes and contributes towards pension funds. A silly short term attack in my view and one that he'd never be able to carry through.

As for the press. Well they loved the Farage caravan didn't they? He was always going to be able to give them something for that evening slot by goofing up or having one of his party say something stupid. They gave him the floor and he took it. I liken Farage to one of those X Factor characters - you know he's an idiot, isn't up to the job, but what the hell, he's entertaining so let's give him our telephone vote this week.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Now we've got a few more Kippers in the public eye the next few months is going to see some right bollock drops. I for one cannot wait.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
a9953850-1693-4e19-81e1-eaf2cedf1a59-460x276.jpeg

Ukip party leader Nigel Farage enjoying a pint in the Hoy and Helmet Pub in South Benfleet, Essex as he celebrates his party's success

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here