Dunk - Refusing to play?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It would be excellent for the club to send a strong message to Championship rivals like Fulham and Derby that they are wasting their time bidding for our better players.

Isn't this a bit simplistic? Would you reject 200 million quid to send a signal? Obviously not. This demonstrates that every player has a price, the debate is what this price is.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
*Waves*

Can't feel smug about this one, though. Just a little sad. Let's hope he saw sense when the club had words about his conduct.

[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] was bang on about the fine.

Like you, I had no reason to doubt the source.

You do open yourself up on here by posting any nuggets you hear though. Don't think I'll bother in future !

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Like you, I had no reason to doubt the source.

You do open yourself up on here by posting any nuggets you hear though. Don't think I'll bother in future !

Yep did the same when a very good friend met Booby Zamora in Burgess HIll a month before he signed, he siad then he was almost 100% going to sign, I got pelters for that at the time.... will refrain from it in future.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I think its a big shame,that Dunk has refused to play,i would like to hear his side.If as it seems ,the club are holding him to a contract that he was pleased to sign. To my mind ,its a very serious breech of trust and honor to break it,for both parties !

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
*Waves*

Can't feel smug about this one, though. Just a little sad. Let's hope he saw sense when the club had words about his conduct.

[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] was bang on about the fine.

Don't blame you :thumbsup:. Bit of a shame a player brought through our academy feels he has to act like this to force through a transfer though :nono:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think its a big shame,that Dunk has refused to play,i would like to hear his side.If as it seems ,the club are holding him to a contract that he was pleased to sign. To my mind ,its a very serious breech of trust and honor to break it,for both parties !

The club are offering him an improved contract.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Dale Stephens comments published on the argus website about Derby bids are a breath of fresh afraid all this dunk speculation

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

I agree, for me it's just disappointing, not that players move on. But how they do. Dunk sadly must be guilty of withdrawing his participation, why else the fine?
Yep, we'll get a few bob for him. But I wish he'd left in a similar fashion to Leo and not like Liam.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
So Dunk refused to play against Southend? Got fined and presumably told to stop being a silly bugger. Took it on board and has been available to play in all (league) games since. It's not the end of the world, is it? Just a young player making a daft move and getting punished for it.

I'd put Dunk more in the Elliot Bennett mould than the Bridcutt one.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've been wondering what motivation Dunk had for not wanting to be cup tied. It could have been something from his agent, about not reducing his value to interested teams, but if, as reported so far, the only serious interest has been from Fulham, being cup tied when going to Fulham wouldn't seem that big a deal. He would still play league games and wouldn't be likely to miss out on a cup final or a medal. However, if there is interest from a Premier League side, where he wouldn't be an automatic first choice, playing cup games may give him the opportunity to push for a first team place, it would be more of an issue for the player. Perhaps he just wanted to keep his options open, but refusing to play just in case seems like an extreme move.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree, for me it's just disappointing, not that players move on. But how they do. Dunk sadly must be guilty of withdrawing his participation, why else the fine?
Yep, we'll get a few bob for him. But I wish he'd left in a similar fashion to Leo and not like Liam.

Comparisons with Liam are unfair. It was a League cup game, and he was stripped off ready to enter the pitch just three days later. He's been punished by the club and a line drawn under it. I suspect it was bad advice from his agent.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I hope he signs that new deal... It does seem they may have drawn a line under it and moved on (as he's been in the squad) although he's paying for it with his place in the team (serves him right). My word we missed his height and arial ability Saturday though. Really needed him - Blackburn exploited our obvious weakness - clear game plan.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Comparisons with Liam are unfair. It was a League cup game, and he was stripped off ready to enter the pitch just three days later. He's been punished by the club and a line drawn under it. I suspect it was bad advice from his agent.

No they're not, he's on contract and I guess well paid. If one of your employees acted like that you'd be pretty miffed. Dunk has done a good job at the club and come on a lot this past couple of seasons. I don't believe the club would be so unfair as to fine him unless they were unhappy with his attitude. But to blame his agent might be a cop out, ultimately it's his choice. I can't back him or anyone that doesn't appreciate being BHA through and through, and why seeing Gus and Liam struggle hasn't concerned me at all? And if he does decide the grass is greener in Fulham than at The Amex he too might one day reflect his decision....especially if we go Prem and Fulham don't. :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No they're not, he's on contract and I guess well paid. If one of your employees acted like that you'd be pretty miffed. Dunk has done a good job at the club and come on a lot this past couple of seasons. I don't believe the club would be so unfair as to fine him unless they were unhappy with his attitude. But to blame his agent might be a cop out, ultimately it's his choice. I can't back him or anyone that doesn't appreciate being BHA through and through, and why seeing Gus and Liam struggle hasn't concerned me at all? And if he does decide the grass is greener in Fulham than at The Amex he too might one day reflect his decision....especially if we go Prem and Fulham don't. :)

You can't compare a workplace with a football contract. If a firm had offered me three times my wages, I would simply give my notice in. Players cannot do that.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Agents in all areas can be very persuasive and manipulative. I've had recruitment agents somehow talk me into going for job interviews which I wasn't interested in, when I was younger. Sometimes you just find yourself going with a narrative you are not really happy with. Yet you learn at that point to be firm with future agents.

We shall see, as long as it's a one off and Dunk has learned a lesson, then perhaps it's right to draw a line under it ? ???

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
We shall see, as long as it's a one off and Dunk has learned a lesson, then perhaps it's right to draw a line under it ? ???

Yes, I don't disagree with that. But history tells me that like others his heads been turned. And though I would honestly like to see him stay I'll be surprised if he's still here in September. :(

You can't compare a workplace with a football contract. If a firm had offered me three times my wages, I would simply give my notice in. Players cannot do that.

Not true, there's nothing stopping a professional footballer doing this.
If you were on, say, three months notice and the potential new employer wanted you to start in two weeks (at x3 your current salary) what would do you think you'd do?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
the inevitable transfer request is days away in my opinion...

Well hope it is. As far as I understand it if a player is sold without having put in a transfer request, the selling club has to pay up his contract. As he has 3 years on his contract with us, that could cost us up to £1m.

If he hands in a transfer request we don't have to pay him a bean!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well hope it is. As far as I understand it if a player is sold without having put in a transfer request, the selling club has to pay up his contract.
I don't think so. A loyalty bonus, maybe, but you don't have to pay his contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports