Dunk - Refusing to play?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can't argue that, technically, when Barnes left we were 7th and we finished 6th but that was due in part to the Lingard loan - we never replaced Barnes and it affected us throughout the 2014/15 season. I'm gonna leave this now.

Of far more significance is the fact 34-year old Gordon Greer is about to start his 4th match in 12 days. Either Hughton is insane or Dunk IS off.
We all know Dunk is off now. Not starting confirms it.

Hopefully the club softens the blow by announcing Tex or Vydra joining on the same day.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With another game on Saturday I believe it is virtually certain Dunk will appear tonight at some point, possibly after about 60 mins. Huddersfield do not have much aerial ability in attack so perhaps Uve and GG are better tto deal with Wells etc on the ground.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
With another game on Saturday I believe it is virtually certain Dunk will appear tonight at some point, possibly after about 60 mins. Huddersfield do not have much aerial ability in attack so perhaps Uve and GG are better tto deal with Wells etc on the ground.

Dunk is far better than Greer on the deck. Dunk also has far more pace than Greer, to deal with Vaughan/Scannell/Wells. He's also our best defender, and Greer is playing his 4th game in 11 days at 34.

Dunk is leaving, accept it.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
After tonight i must admit i firmly believe Dunk will be a Fulham player despite Bloom saying he won't sell to another Championship club.

You don't drop your star player for 3 matches on the trot.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We all know Dunk is off now. Not starting confirms it.

Hopefully the club softens the blow by announcing Tex or Vydra joining on the same day.

After a perfect month this is the first bit of proper bad news for fans. Nice though Tex / Vydra would be, I'd rather we brought in a permanent replacement for Dunk, someone with pace. I was beginning to think we had a rock solid defence there for a moment. Here's hoping Greer can keep going until we bring in a replacement.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No they are not

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Barring death or paralysis there's not a cat in hell's chance of Dunk appearing tonight.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
After tonight i must admit i firmly believe Dunk will be a Fulham player despite Bloom saying he won't sell to another Championship club.

You don't drop your star player for 3 matches on the trot.

Look on the bright side-we don't appear to have missed him yet.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is it possible:

Tuesday Morning:

Hughton: so..
Dunk: so?
Hughton: Seems to be a bit of a fuss over your career
Dunk: Yeah
Hughton: I don't know where you're going to be September 2nd - I hope it's with us - but if you are going to move on, we might get a better deal if you're not cup tied, there might be more clubs vying for you and offering you more money to get you
Dunk: yeah
Hughton: and it is Southend... Do you fancy sitting it out, it also gives me a chance to give Rea a look
Dunk: Yeah, alright. Seems a sensible option all round.

When passed through several people, or passed on with a cynical view: Dunk refused to play!!!!!

Saturday

Hughton: Hey Dunky
Dunk: Yeah
Hughton: I've decided to put you on the bench for this one. I wanna see what Uwe has to offer, and as one of the clubs in for you are Fulham it might not be ideal for you to play. But you're still in my plans. I still want you in my team.
Dunk: I won't say I'm not disappointed, cos I want to play, but I understand your reasoning and appreciate you taking me aside and telling me. Whatever is best for the team.

Cynics: He missed two games, this confirms he refused on tuesday!!

Do you have the latest instalment of this story please?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
For the avoidance of doubt. I'm here and Dunk is not "refusing" to do the warm up .
He's stretching away like there's no tomorrow.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Central defenders are easier to find (and produce, in our case) than strikers or creative midfield players. Judging by last night's under-21 game, there are no very promising attackers coming through, but in Rea (who I presume was with the first team squad) we already have a replacement for Aaron Hughes, and Cadnam looked to have potential. So selling Dunk and using the money where we are weakest doesn't seem the worst possible strategy.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Only Dunk and COG have track suit bottoms on though which obviously means one thing. - they're OFF.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Central defenders are easier to find (and produce, in our case) than strikers or creative midfield players. Judging by last night's under-21 game, there are no very promising attackers coming through, but in Rea (who I presume was with the first team squad) .
Rea and Calde travelled and were on the pitch a little bit ago (tho not in the squad)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I know that there has been some speculation about Dunk having a release clause in his contract - maybe £5 million - have we had definitive confirmation of that?

If so, if a Championship club meets that price, the club wouldn't be able to prevent such a sale, would they (assuming Dunk wanted to go)?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I know that there has been some speculation about Dunk having a release clause in his contract - maybe £5 million - have we had definitive confirmation of that?

If so, if a Championship club meets that price, the club wouldn't be able to prevent such a sale, would they (assuming Dunk wanted to go)?
Depends on whether the unconfirmed clause specifies that the bid comes from a PL, La Liga etc. club or not.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Only Dunk and COG have track suit bottoms on though which obviously means one thing. - they're OFF.

You mean we're losing Dunk AND Cog!...............Doesn't seem so bad now actually.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't argue that, technically, when Barnes left we were 7th and we finished 6th but that was due in part to the Lingard loan - we never replaced Barnes
I thought at the time that the money we got for Barnes was used to bring Lingard in, regardless of the fact that they're different players.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He didn't really say that did he? If he did, have you got a link?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont think that TB wants to sell him to another championship team but think back to what a Premier scout told me last season. He didnt think that he was good enough for the Premier and it is interesting to note that the only reputed enquiry was from Newcastle who was at Derby last year and reputedly wanted him. So who really knows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports