Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - Refusing to play?

albionite

May 20, 2009
I dont think that TB wants to sell him to another championship team but think back to what a Premier scout told me last season. He didnt think that he was good enough for the Premier and it is interesting to note that the only reputed enquiry was from Newcastle who was at Derby last year and reputedly wanted him. So who really knows.

Considering all these people you know BG and being an ex scout how comes you know nothing apart from what is on football rumours.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If it was 'tactical reasons' for him being dropped, he'd be playing tonight. Huddersfield's strikers are mobile, and Greer isn't, and as you say, 4 games in 11 days for a 34 year old?

Unless...

Do you have the latest instalment of this story please?

Hughton: We've just won. I know I changed things for Southend and Fulham, but Southend was a league cup game against a League one team. I don't think I can just take the shirt off Greer or Huenemeier, they played well enough to keep the shirt.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If he really has refused to play, and sulked his way out of the club, we'll soon know as he won't get a tribute video on the club website :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sell him for 5 million with add-ons, bring in a replacement (not a clue who, mind) + Marshall + a striker using the proceeds and we've done some cracking business.
B'burn would want as much for Marshall as we get for Dunk. But maybe our club are waiting - they don't want Dunk to be sold for £5m now, as it will push up the price of those we're trying to buy, so Dunk has to wait until we've got the replacements lined up.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
£5m for him would be a cracking piece of business

He hasn't had one full good season at Championship level yet - he was dropped for Halford towards the end of the last campaign at Wigan away. If anybody is willing to part with that sort of cash we should be snapping their hands off, especially as we have seemingly secured a replacement for just over a fifth of what we could receive for him

Feb 14, 2010
I dont think that TB wants to sell him to another championship team but think back to what a Premier scout told me last season. He didnt think that he was good enough for the Premier and it is interesting to note that the only reputed enquiry was from Newcastle who was at Derby last year and reputedly wanted him. So who really knows.

I wouldn't listen too much to English football scouts if I were you. Some of them thought CMS was worth £2.5 Million and was better than Murray. After 20 minutes of watching CMS both me and my mate realised he was not fit to clean Murray's boots. Its a shame for this club that we have lost two centre backs to clubs with smaller crowds than us (Bournemouth and Fulham). The lad at Bournemouth promptly got them promoted. Are the centre backs that we have as good or better?

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Dunk is not good enough for the Premiership, and Elphick will be exposed as well.
Both steady Championship defenders.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Something is up. I'm sure of that. Anything close to £5m would be fantastic business for us. Could be the difference between us landing Marshall. One of those players would of made a diffence last night, and it's not Dunk.

The sooner he goes now the better. Let's use the money to improve our squad.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We all know Dunk is off now. Not starting confirms it.

Ha! Confirms it ? Now ? Well not now then. He's still here.
I've been reading on NSC he's "definitely off" , "refusing to play" and even more leftfield rumours for what is weeks now and yet every day he seems to turn up for training and although Hughton has dropped him, perhaps understandably, then he's there doing his warm-ups, and sitting on the bench as an Albion player at the last two games. Getting ready to come on on Saturday for instance..

At the very least it doesn't sound like the club have received or accepted a suitable offer. Despite all the fuss.
So until they do he er, won't be off. And they might not do so by September 2nd. Who knows.

However this really hasn't got much to do with whether he's on the bench, in the starting 11, Hughton's body language, the whereabouts of Dunk's car (a great NSC rumour yesterday), or whether (my favourite) he was 30 seconds late coming out onto the pitch in the 2nd half at Fulham (probably having a pee) . ..the only *sign* that "he's OFF" is someone prepared to stump up. So far . They haven't.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ha! Confirms it ? Now ? Well not now then. He's still here.
I've been reading on NSC he's "definitely off" , "refusing to play" and even more leftfield rumours for what is weeks now and yet every day he seems to turn up for training and although Hughton has dropped him, perhaps understandably, then he's there doing his warm-ups, and sitting on the bench as an Albion player at the last two games. Getting ready to come on on Saturday for instance..

At the very least it doesn't sound like the club have received or accepted a suitable offer. Despite all the fuss.
So until they do he er, won't be off. And they might not do so by September 2nd. Who knows.

However this really hasn't got much to do with whether he's on the bench, in the starting 11, Hughton's body language, the whereabouts of Dunk's car (a great NSC rumour yesterday), or whether (my favourite) he was 30 seconds late coming out onto the pitch in the 2nd half at Fulham (probably having a pee) . ..the only *sign* that "he's OFF" is someone prepared to stump up. So far . They haven't.
The 'now' refers to the fact that we 'now' know he is off. Not that he is off 'now'.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The sooner he goes now the better. Let's use the money to improve our squad.

Bloom has said and i think proven so far this window that squad improvements aren't dependent on selling players. And we would still need another proven Champ CB to replace Dunk, if he was sold, to play alongside Uwe, Greer, and Rea either for this season (an expensive season long loan ?), a veteran ex prem on a short contract (expensive) or if a permanent player then a 2-4 year contract and a decent fee. (expensive)

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well, I'm afraid to say reports from Huddersfield confirmed what most of us already knew - Greer will struggle to do 4 games in 10 days and started to get very sloppy at the end of the game. Obviously, Dunk would be starting and our defence would be stronger if he stayed. We're going to need a serious replacement in for him if he goes. Really hope he stays, I really do...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The 'now' refers to the fact that we 'now' know he is off. Not that he is off 'now'.

Yep. Apologies i was being slightly tongue in cheek. I know what you mean.

But you could equally say there are signs he's staying. Fulham are looking at alternative defensive options. Newcastle haven't made an offer despite everything.
He's in the squad.

But agreed. Its a long shot to say he'll be here on Sept 2nd.. But time is ticking. and he still is.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Dunk is not good enough for the Premiership, and Elphick will be exposed as well.
Both steady Championship defenders.

Dunk is clearly an excellent Championship level centre half. He's young, English, good on the ball and scores goal. Last season his stats showed that he is in the top 3 for his position and improving all the time. He is far from a "steady" defender.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here