Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - Refusing to play?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not getting into the whole sideways move idea here but, wages aside, surely we have shown enough ambition this season to demonstrate that his chances of playing in the prem are pretty even between the two clubs at this moment. That's my opinion anyway.

BUT the whole refusing to play, head turned, whatever, shenanigans, if it turns out to be true, is very disappointing for me considering the loyalty the club showed during the court case when he was assumably being paid but not playing. If, If, If, it is true he will be forever tarnished in the same way as Bridcutt which is a shame.

Wages aside, and on Saturday's evidence, the only thing he would get at Fulham that he wouldn't get here would be a guaranteed start and plenty of action.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm not getting into the whole sideways move idea here but, wages aside, surely we have shown enough ambition this season to demonstrate that his chances of playing in the prem are pretty even between the two clubs at this moment. That's my opinion anyway.

BUT the whole refusing to play, head turned, whatever, shenanigans, if it turns out to be true, is very disappointing for me considering the loyalty the club showed during the court case when he was assumably being paid but not playing. If, If, If, it is true he will be forever tarnished in the same way as Bridcutt which is a shame.
I don't think he did refuse to play, he was going on at Fulham until Stephens cramped up. I'm almost certain that it was Hughtons choice to leave him out, not on ability as he's a better player than Greer, but as a result of the transfer speculation. Dunks head must be all over the place at the moment, it's small margins at that level, I don't think Hughton thought it was worth the risk to start him..

Anyway this seems t o be coming to a head now, we'll find out soon enough.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
If we got £5m, and could replace him with James Tarkowski (who Fulham are also after for around £1.75m), it would be a good bit of business.

Especially if we could reinvest the extra funds on the second winger and competition for Baldock.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Let's be honest here. None of us know what the budget is like, exactly what the offer is like etc. We've spent out a lot and I guess need to balance the books a bit. In an ideal world we'd all like one of our best young players to stay. But it's not as simple as that... If it's a case of we have to sell to balance the books, £5mil plus add ons is an awful lot of money...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He could have said nothing at all or fudged an answer. The impression that I have from what CH has been saying all along is that he wants LD to stay, I could interpret "very, very committed" as meaning LD wants to stay, but perhaps not everyone else at the club feels the same way (which is understandable if the offers supposedly on the table are as reported).

Until Dunk leaves, Hughton is ALWAYS going to say he wants him to stay, that's my point. Its just the usual meaningless bland media platitudes, and will make not a blind bit of difference when the club accept a bid for him and he leaves (with Hughtons best wishes for the future etc).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Anyone know teams travel arrangements for tonight? ? Since I saw him in his range rover in carden hill this morning! !
the team flew to Leeds last night.
Meant to say saw Lewis? in his range rover in carden hill at around 8am this morning. Was his vehicle and looked very like Lewis driving.
How do you know it was his car?
Live round corner from him and seen him out and about a lot. Registration number is a bit of a give away as well.

So, the team flew to Leeds last night, and Dunk stayed here. Well either Bra is a big fat liar, or Dunk is off.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
In the event that Dunk does go, another CB is obviously a major priority. There have to be some good options both in this division and the upper echelons of Lg 1, and Tarkowski of Brentford might be worth a punt. Also, apologies if mentioned already, but lots of speculation surrounding Nathan Byrne at Swindon. Obviously we're doing well in the wide areas with Murphy, Kaz and March, but imagine if we got him too! Would be like going back to the beginning of the Amex era when we had Buckley, Kaz and Noone. It was truly exciting to have such good wide options and a return to those days would be awesome.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I couldn't possibly say as i have not seen Uwe play, but i'd certainly include GG. Not the best player technically, but his leadership and organising offers the team so much more. Dunk plays a lot better when alongside him, we really missed him when he did not play last season. We didn't really miss Dunk.

Totally agree with that. The problem with Greer is his lack of pace and issues with turning quickly but he has exceptional positional awareness and "nous" which compensates to a great extent. If selling Dunk brings us £5m or anything like then a good part of that is down to Greer keeping him "honest" and developing his focus. One thing Gordon never does is lose concentration. Not something you can claim for Lewis by any means.
I just hope Dunk goes to a good club with another experienced older head alongside him to continue developing his undoubted ability. If he gets it right he could be an international player in the making. Not if he goes to Fulham though (IMO).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've not said they have to take the first offer. His contract expires June '18, so three years, but if we don't sell him this window, and demand too much in february, then it will be two years in the summer window. It will all come around quickly, and if Dunk isn't playing frequently enough for his liking, he might be less willing to extend his contract.
3 years, my mistake. He's on a comparatively low wage at the moment, I can't see him now signing a new contract to double his wages. If he stays and continues to improve, as he's expected to, his price will rise. Or he could fail to improve and his price fall. I don't think it's a big risk for the club.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
So, the team flew to Leeds last night, and Dunk stayed here. Well either Bra is a big fat liar, or Dunk is off.

Certainly not a 'big fat liar' as you so nicely put it. It was 7.55am in Carden Hill just past county Oak turning for those who know. I know Dunk's car having seen him in the area a lot and this was 100% it, registration number is a give away as is make model and style. Wasn't a girl driving hence not wife and certainly younger then Dunks father for example. Looked like Lewis but who knows could be mate or brother (if has one) but was absolutely, guaranteed his car. At time I remember thinking they must be flying up this morning, hence my original question about travel plans.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I actually don't care if he plays or not tonight because I thought thought Greer and the''difficult to pronounce German'' played reasonably well at the weekend. If he does play then I would be happy as well so thats a nice position to be in and it shows how well the squad has evolved in the last 10 weeks

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In the event that Dunk does go, another CB is obviously a major priority. There have to be some good options both in this division and the upper echelons of Lg 1, and Tarkowski of Brentford might be worth a punt. Also, apologies if mentioned already, but lots of speculation surrounding Nathan Byrne at Swindon. Obviously we're doing well in the wide areas with Murphy, Kaz and March, but imagine if we got him too! Would be like going back to the beginning of the Amex era when we had Buckley, Kaz and Noone. It was truly exciting to have such good wide options and a return to those days would be awesome.
Byrne may not be the finished product but looks an exciting prospect and now is the perfect time to take a punt on him. For that reason I am sure someone will sign him in the next week or so but don't expect it to be us. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here