Dunk - Refusing to play?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He did refuse to play, away to Southend.

It's NOT guess work, I have it on very good authority.

He's getting some bad advice from somewhere if that is the case, as word will get out that he's in the awkward squad, and he's not good enough for that not to matter.

If he doesn't start tonight then he's definitely going.

If this is true, it's pretty disgraceful of him to refuse to play, after the club stuck by him through a very bad situation a little while back.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is he on the big bus or mini bus to 'udderfield?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He did refuse to play, away to Southend.

It's NOT guess work, I have it on very good authority.

Whose good authority?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
More I think about it, more I think this is the situation, and this is all guess work...
Dunk has never refused to play and has not made a request to leave. The club have been trying to sell him but no takers (yet). He feels unwanted.
And I think the title of this thread should be changed

The thread title now has a question mark, not sure if it did when you posted, but to demand it be changed based on guess work is a bit daft. It's not guess work to suggest that a certain other Championship club have made a £4 million bid for Dunk, nor that the bid was rejected (club trying to sell him would have taken that) nor that people close to Dunk have been told that the other Championship club would see him alright wages wise. I've also been told he refused to play against Southend, however, CH was adamant that Fulham was his own decision, and indeed Dunk was preparing to come on before we needed to put JFC on.

I'd go back to the drawing board or post when you know some facts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not going to read through all this, and perhaps these posts are already there, but I'll say now, that IF Dunk goes, anyone typing any of the following phrases: 'not all that', 'no loss', 'easily replaced', 'over-rated', really has no place posting on a football forum, and should probably find a new sport to watch.
This is the Albion you're talking about.

It would appear the coaching staff could turn Harriet Harmon into a Premier League centre half.
Sadly they can also turn Harry Kane into Whitehawk's second best player.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The thread title now has a question mark, not sure if it did when you posted, but to demand it be changed based on guess work is a bit daft. It's not guess work to suggest that a certain other Championship club have made a £4 million bid for Dunk, nor that the bid was rejected (club trying to sell him would have taken that) nor that people close to Dunk have been told that the other Championship club would see him alright wages wise. I've also been told he refused to play against Southend, however, CH was adamant that Fulham was his own decision, and indeed Dunk was preparing to come on before we needed to put JFC on.

I'd go back to the drawing board or post when you know some facts.

I don't think the bid Fulham have made is as much as £4 million. Someone earlier suggested Dunk may be getting bad advice from somewhere. If that is the case then that is most likely his Agent..

We are getting close to the deadline now and I think Fulham now know that if they want Dunk they will need to come in with a real serious bid because CH and the club are more than happy to hang on to him if they don't offer what we would want for him

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Hughts said he'd definitely be involved tonight (obviously barring illness/injury between games). Let's see...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hughts said he'd definitely be involved tonight (obviously barring illness/injury between games). Let's see...

Did he? I've seen that Hughton said he'd be "available", which isn't the same thing...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The German and Dunk will surely be the no1 partnership if Dunk were to stay. Greer is pretty old now and not at the same level as Dunk and presumably the German lad... This makes me think there's more to Dunk being 'rested' than Hughton lets on - I don't have a problem with that, and clubs bend the truth or deliberately leave bits out all the time. Otherwise NSC would constantly be in meltdown...

Would LOVE us to hang onto Dunky. How about a Benno situation where we say 'look let's re-asses this in January & see if the club are in relegation trouble or dare I say it have a chance of promotion. If there's not a huge amount of danger of either and you still want to go then you're welcome to...

Still think we should chuck a much improved contract his way, but I appreciate we have spent out a lot and those books need balancing.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
IMO Dunk will be sold if the clubs valuation of him is met. This might concern Dunk as he would get a wage increase when/if he moves.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did he? I've seen that Hughton said he'd be "available", which isn't the same thing...

Quote from this morning's Argus

Summer business could still include the departure of Lewis Dunk but Hughton plans to name him in his 18 tonight and says he will treat transfer speculation as a compliment.

Hughton said: “I think we’ve always said any speculation or interest in any of our players is perhaps a bit of a compliment for what we are trying to achieve here but also for the lad.

“He is a good player, a player we would like here and he is very, very committed.”

He was stripped off ready to come on at Fulham, so I can't see that he refused to play. The only reason he didn't was because Stephens cramped up, so we needed JFC instead.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
The German and Dunk will surely be the no1 partnership if Dunk were to stay. Greer is pretty old now and not at the same level as Dunk and presumably the German lad... This makes me think there's more to Dunk being 'rested' than Hughton lets on - I don't have a problem with that, and clubs bend the truth or deliberately leave bits out all the time. Otherwise NSC would constantly be in meltdown...

Would LOVE us to hang onto Dunky. How about a Benno situation where we say 'look let's re-asses this in January & see if the club are in relegation trouble or dare I say it have a chance of promotion. If there's not a huge amount of danger of either and you still want to go then you're welcome to...

Still think we should chuck a much improved contract his way, but I appreciate we have spent out a lot and those books need balancing.

I really can't see Greer missing out. He's our captain, and we have only conceded once in the 3 games he has played this season. I would not be at all suprised if in CH's eyes he is first choice CB.

If Dunk does not start tonight, then surely he is off?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Quote from this morning's Argus

Summer business could still include the departure of Lewis Dunk but Hughton plans to name him in his 18 tonight and says he will treat transfer speculation as a compliment.

Hughton said: “I think we’ve always said any speculation or interest in any of our players is perhaps a bit of a compliment for what we are trying to achieve here but also for the lad.

“He is a good player, a player we would like here and he is very, very committed.”

He was stripped off ready to come on at Fulham, so I can't see that he refused to play. The only reason he didn't was because Stephens cramped up, so we needed JFC instead.

I've not said that I think Dunk has refused to play. I was simply responding to a post that said that Hughton has said that Dunk will be "involved" tonight, which I've not seen him say - s'all.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I really can't see Greer missing out. He's our captain, and we have only conceded once in the 3 games he has played this season. I would not be at all suprised if in CH's eyes he is first choice CB.

If Dunk does not start tonight, then surely he is off?
This, Greer has to be one of the best CB's in the league when some say he's past it on here I assume their knowledge of football is not that great. Dunk on the other hand is good yes but also prone to losing the plot every so often which can be costly.
After Uwe's display on Saturday how can you leave him out of the side 100% tackles won stats are impressive.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
IMO Dunk will be sold if the clubs valuation of him is met. This might concern Dunk as he would get a wage increase when/if he moves.
Anyone would be sold if the club's selling price was met. That's hardly a revelation

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It doesn't reduce what we can charge, we're not a team that needs to sell, so we can charge what we like. The offers will be based on how much he's worth to other clubs. Dunk would be more important to us if we didn't have Uwe, but Dunk's an excellent defender who can also score goals.

That is true, we can charge what we want, but are a team likely to spend +5m on a championship centreback who isn't an automatic first choice? Great we keep someone of Dunk's quality. But will he, Uwe and Greer be happy to not get to play every game, potentially be dropped after a strong performance (Dunk was dropped after a MotM performance - admittedly with mitigating circumstances, but still)? Can the club really afford to keep them all, or have they signed Uwe (and others) on the basis that they expect Dunk to go and some of the money from that funding the new signings? Before long you then get the issue of Dunk's contract winding down and the risk of losing him on a free.

Yes, we can charge what we want, but realistically, the change in his importance to us, will change how much other clubs are willing to pay.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've not said that I think Dunk has refused to play. I was simply responding to a post that said that Hughton has said that Dunk will be "involved" tonight, which I've not seen him say - s'all.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that you'd said it. I was referring to the whole thread. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Did he?

Or did he just say he was in his plans?

There's a big difference between the two.

JC: "So you expect Lewis to be in the squad on Tuesday?"

CH: "Most definitely."

Involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports