Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - Refusing to play?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Played 3 won 3 without Dunk, cash in and move on.

Don't agree with this attitude. We've had one fairly lucky win yesterday without Dunk (not counting tin pot cup). He without doubt makes us stronger and I for one am not letting one last min win take away the fact we would be much stronger with Dunk playing. I just think one win or one lose changes so many peoples' opinions on here...!

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I read it as horses for courses now he has 3 experienced CB's to chose from, so I disagree. If he'd said what you say you would have preferred, then there would h ave been an explosion on NSC.

Anyway, going to a Prem club may make sense for Dunk, going to Fulham makes zero sense...

well i agree with your last sentence.

i just struggle to believe that CH would have picked Uwe when he has only been at the club 3 days, has hardly had any training with his new team mates and Dunk was MOM in the previous game BECAUSE he preferred that combination! Come on...it beggars belief.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
We have got 6 points from two league games that could have gone the other way. That's great news and titles are won by winning games that could have gone either way. But if we were sitting on two or even zero points now, and easily we could be, there would be very different views about who we can let go and whether we have a strong enough squad! Let's hope we continue to get good results from the games coming up and that we hit some form that blows other teams away, then we can be a bit more confident on the squad. But just now I wouldn't want to see Dunk go. We would need to get another CB in very quickly and he would need to be as good as Dunk (at least).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

i just struggle to believe that CH would have picked Uwe when he has only been at the club 3 days, has hardly had any training with his new team mates and Dunk was MOM in the previous game BECAUSE he preferred that combination! Come on...it beggars belief.

He made it clear that Uwe was ready BEFORE the game, so does not beggar belief for me.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We have got 6 points from two league games that could have gone the other way. That's great news and titles are won by winning games that could have gone either way. But if we were sitting on two or even zero points now, and easily we could be, there would be very different views about who we can let go and whether we have a strong enough squad! Let's hope we continue to get good results from the games coming up and that we hit some form that blows other teams away, then we can be a bit more confident on the squad. But just now I wouldn't want to see Dunk go. We would need to get another CB in very quickly and he would need to be as good as Dunk (at least).

This, although we definitely deserved to beat Forest IMHO...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

No it doesn't. Uwe was judged to be up to speed - and his former team lost 6-0 last Friday without him, which maybe indicates how important he was to them. Hope to see him at home next Saturday.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I actually thought he would have played him yesterday and it is clear that CH made the decision not to play him otherwise he would have skipped round the question totally.

I think it is only right that fans should be told what's actually happened because they pay good money to watch their team. The flip side to that is that by 2nd September Dunk will be either a Fulham player or he will be a Brighton player. If it turns out that he is still a Brighton player, you don't want any of those fans not on Dunk's side and you want everyone to be right behind him supporting him.

I still don't think he would have refused to play but obviously I don't know whether he did or whether he didn't so if he is still at Brighton come September. I would want all fans to be supporting him. So maybe in this instance I wonder if it is better not knowing one way or the other..

Something else caught my eye yesterday. The lad who gave away the penalty yesterday Shaun Hutchison. Many Motherwell fans were glad to be shot of him when they sold him to Fulham. The flip side being we just signed Murphy who most Motherwell fans idolised. Looks like we might have got the best deal there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You ommitted the obvious that it may well be another club in for him possibly in the Premier so he may be at neither on 2nd Septemeber. If was a betting man I would bet on Fulham being a Red Herring and the interested club being Newcastle as McLaren chased him allegedly when he was manager at Derby and Newcastle are now struggling.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You ommitted the obvious that it may well be another club in for him possibly in the Premier so he may be at neither on 2nd Septemeber. If was a betting man I would bet on Fulham being a Red Herring and the interested club being Newcastle as McLaren chased him allegedly when he was manager at Derby and Newcastle are now struggling.

There isn't an offer from anyone else but Fulham and even they havn't offered what it would take to get him as of yet BG. You may be correct and one might come between now and the end of the month from other clubs.

The Dunk situation is one of these situations that is too close to call because we don't need to sell him. We want to keep him so unless someone comes in with an offer that exceeds our valuation I think he will be here.

Alternatively, If he is sold it gives us funds in reserve for to spend now or the January transfer window when we might then know whether we are pushing for Promotion or not and might need to bring in just that bit of class to help a Promotion push or even to cover injuries we might sustain between now and then.

I think the squad is starting to look fairly promising now and may even look a bit better before 2nd September

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There isn't an offer from anyone else but Fulham and even they havn't offered what it would take to get him as of yet BG. You may be correct and one might come between now and the end of the month from other clubs.

The Dunk situation is one of these situations that is too close to call because we don't need to sell him. We want to keep him so unless someone comes in with an offer that exceeds our valuation I think he will be here.

Alternatively, If he is sold it gives us funds in reserve for to spend now or the January transfer window when we might then know whether we are pushing for Promotion or not and might need to bring in just that bit of class to help a Promotion push or even to cover injuries we might sustain between now and then.

I think the squad is starting to look fairly promising now and may even look a bit better before 2nd September

I think we look a better long term prospect than Fulham anyway on yesterday's showing. Dunk would start every game for them, they were pretty woeful at the back. I think we can really drag them out for a big(ger) fee now and I'm pretty sure we'll up Dunk's wages if we want him to stay.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Short term we can cope without Dunk. Long term we will miss him terribly. We need to hang onto him.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I wonder if there is a bit of cunning shown by CH here.

Following the acquisition of Huenemeier, who seems to have had an excellent debut, he leaves out LD so it will be interesting to see if, on Tuesday, he leaves out GG as I, for one, think that is the way forward assuming it is the intention for LD to stay. That would neccesitate the appointment of a captain ?

If my reasoning proves correct, and assuming LD and UH hit it off on Tuesday, it would be easier to leave GG out thereafter !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I generally get the impression he is off this window, but what if he isn't?

We have Huenemeier, so even if there's rotation, it still reduces Dunk's importance to us, and thus reduces the amount we can charge. It also increases the desire of Dunk to go - if he isn't playing every game but has the chance to play more regularly elsewhere, that's going to appeal.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I wonder if there is a bit of cunning shown by CH here.

Following the acquisition of Huenemeier, who seems to have had an excellent debut, he leaves out LD so it will be interesting to see if, on Tuesday, he leaves out GG as I, for one, think that is the way forward assuming it is the intention for LD to stay. That would neccesitate the appointment of a captain ?

If my reasoning proves correct, and assuming LD and UH hit it off on Tuesday, it would be easier to leave GG out thereafter !

I think that is reasonable - play the new man with the experienced player before pairing him with the less experienced youngster.

I also find it hard to believe that Lewis Dunk is the answer to any premier league teams defensive problems. In 3 or 4 years time maybe, but not now.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think that is reasonable - play the new man with the experienced player before pairing him with the less experienced youngster.

I also find it hard to believe that Lewis Dunk is the answer to any premier league teams defensive problems. In 3 or 4 years time maybe, but not now.

He is not good enough at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here