Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - Refusing to play?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We've done a fair bit of business this summer and that has to be paid for somehow. Sacrificing one player to help the wider rebuilding of a squad that really needed it is a reasonable enough move on the club's part. It's a shame but 'twas ever thus.
It's paid for by ticketting and other revenue , along with Tony's personal 10 million pound loss.

Any money spent so far is not out of a fee for Dunk.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Looking at the brief highlights, I think we could have had less scares with Dunk, and Fulham would have had a different result if they had Dunk instead of Bodurov.

http://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-brighton/339546

I am assuming that Dunk would have cynically hacked down Lualua outside the box as well. Why wasn't Hutchinson (who looked as good as Dunk if not better) not sent off? Last minute?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Centre backs are easier to replace than goalscorers.

Whoever it is will be offering silly wages that we cant or wont pay so its best to let him go.

Barbs will get top dollar make no mistake.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
When he was, lest we forget, Man of the Match ???

Can't help bu be amused that the debate has shifted from Dunk wanting to move to the club wanting to sell with no evidence whatsoever to back the premise up :lolol:

to be fair there was no evidence to back up the premise that Dunk wanted to go either....

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I think he will leave, to Newcastle probably, not Fulham. Replacing him will be difficult, not impossible. If it is gives us scope to bring in a exciting attacking signing then it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Centre backs are easier to replace than goalscorers.

Whoever it is will be offering silly wages that we cant or wont pay so its best to let him go.

Barbs will get top dollar make no mistake.
Esp when the club has potentially 2 replacements already sitting in the wings.

Yesterday's commentary backs up the claim on here that Uwe is Greer's replacement.
Rae would seem to be Dunk's replacement, with Dallison being readied to step up.

It's hard to get upset about Dunk leaving, that's just the nature of the business.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
But we could buy 3 or 4 good players for the money to ensure we have the squad to get promoted. We have shown good recruitment ability this summer so I am confident on that side of things. £5m is a lot of money.

I agree with a lot of what you post but there are no promotion guarantees.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Esp when the club has potentially 2 replacements already sitting in the wings.

Yesterday's commentary backs up the claim on here that Uwe is Greer's replacement.
Rae would seem to be Dunk's replacement, with Dallison being readied to step up.

It's hard to get upset about Dunk leaving, that's just the nature of the business.

We know nothing about how Rea and Dallison will cope with Championship football. But what we do know is this:

1. Dunk CAN cope.
2. He was MOM vs Forest.
3. He scores crucial goals.
4. Right now we are top of the table.

Added to this he is a local lad brought up through our system who has captaincy potential. If he does go then I hope we won't be looking back at the end of the season having just missed out on promotion because of defensive errors that might have been prevented had he stayed.

We sold Ulloa without properly replacing him and almost got relegated. Don't underestimate the impact of losing an important player.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Its how a club like ours will make its money, produce talent then flog it high.
Traditionally, that's the case, but there's a new alternative - reaching the PL, and the crazy TV money.
Whether he wants to go or not, if the club get the right price they'll sell regardless.
I guess you can hold out for more when the player wants to stay though.

Can't help bu be amused that the debate has shifted from Dunk wanting to move to the club wanting to sell with no evidence whatsoever to back the premise up :lolol:
This is NSC, we don't need evidence.

I think he will leave, to Newcastle probably, not Fulham.
He might be less keen to move as far as Newcastle tough. His boy turned 1 this week, he's got another on the way, and his partner is local too, so a move to Newcastle would mean being without their family support, his partner not having friends nearby when the next one comes. Of course money helps, he could finance people flying up to see them etc, but it's not the same.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We know nothing about how Rea and Dallison will cope with Championship football. But what we do know is this:

1. Dunk CAN cope.
2. He was MOM vs Forest.
3. He scores crucial goals.
4. Right now we are top of the table.

Added to this he is a local lad brought up through our system who has captaincy potential. If he does go then I hope we won't be looking back at the end of the season having just missed out on promotion because of defensive errors that might have been prevented had he stayed.

We sold Ulloa without properly replacing him and almost got relegated. Don't underestimate the impact of losing an important player.
We know nothing, although all the coaches and respective managers have a pretty good idea about who, if anyone, is ready to make the final step up.
This is clearly Greer's last season, he'll not be playing every game.
Therefore it's the last season Rae (as he seems to be in the box seat ATM) can play the role Dunk had behind Upson and Greer.
Holding onto Dunk could mean the club loses 2 experienced centre halfs in the summer, leaving only one at the club.
Not to mention holding up the next £5m assets progression.

All if's buts and maybes, but if the club believe they have at least one replacement for Dunk, now is definitely the time to cash out.
Put massive clauses in his contact.
Wish him well, and hope he does the Albion proud.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
It's interesting reading the managers thoughts this morning. Dunk is very much in his plans for Tuesday. He gave his reasons for not selecting Dunk for yesterday.I doubt very much that Dunk would have been anywhere near CravenCottage yesterday if he had refused to play. Time will tell.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
It's interesting reading the managers thoughts this morning. Dunk is very much in his plans for Tuesday. He gave his reasons for not selecting Dunk for yesterday.I doubt very much that Dunk would have been anywhere near CravenCottage yesterday if he had refused to play. Time will tell.

i just watched CH interview - he didn't really give a reason for putting Dunk on the bench. It was a fairly feeble " i had to make a tough decision and thats the combination i went for" - i would have preferred "given we are playing a club that has supposedly bid for Lewis, i thought it best to leave him out in case it affected his game".

The manager's somewhat wishy washy words worry me. (loving that alliteration!)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

This. Let's just trust the manager over some BS rumour trotted out on here like it's gospel...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
i just watched CH interview - he didn't really give a reason for putting Dunk on the bench. It was a fairly feeble " i had to make a tough decision and thats the combination i went for" - i would have preferred "given we are playing a club that has supposedly bid for Lewis, i thought it best to leave him out in case it affected his game".

The manager's somewhat wishy washy words worry me. (loving that alliteration!)

I read it as horses for courses now he has 3 experienced CB's to chose from, so I disagree. If he'd said what you say you would have preferred, then there would h ave been an explosion on NSC.

Anyway, going to a Prem club may make sense for Dunk, going to Fulham makes zero sense...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whether it's the truth or not, that's just the best thing to say in order to stop any follow up questions.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I would think, and hope, that his exclusion yesterday and Tuesday was this new fangled Squad Rotation thing due mainly to Greers age.

I guess we'll know better by the Hudds game...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here