Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - Refusing to play?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So, given Hughtons comments & the fact he was on The bench can we safely say the 'refusing to play' thing was bollocks. Oh and he was stripped & ready to play at one point :lol:

I'm sure there's more to it than Hughton let on and expect him to go but don't think anyone should taint him with be Bridcutt refusal to play when it isn't true...?

Sheebo, you talk more sense than nearly any other poster on here,(apart from Meades Ball that is) I hope Dunk doesn't go, but if he does, he doesn't deserve to be painted with the same brush as Bridcutt, Buckley, etc.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Sheebo, you talk more sense than nearly any other poster on here,(apart from Meades Ball that is) I hope Dunk doesn't go, but if he does, he doesn't deserve to be painted with the same brush as Bridcutt, Buckley, etc.

Totally agree. If he goes to the Prem, which he probably will, let's be proud of one of our own.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ok so here is a theory. Dunk probably isn’t on a lot of money because he came up from the DS and has only played one full season. I would speculate that he is on £7k a week to use as an example.

The club would rather take the £5m than compete with the buying clubs wage offer. He has been told that he will be sold and all he has to do is agree personal terms with the club who are currently offering him say £15k. He wants to stay but it would cost him £400k. He has told the club that he would stay here for less than £15k but the club are not negotiating because it is time for him to fly the nest and they want to cash in the £5m.

So it’s not about him wanting to go but about him being put into into a position where he has to go for financial reasons. I would imagine this could be quite daunting for him after being looked after by the club for so long, and now not being part of our future.

All hypothetical of course, but it could explain why he isn't in the right frame of mind as Aspinall suggested. Hopefully he will have one more game at the Amex to thank him and send him on his way.

Dec 29, 2011
Ok so here is a theory. Dunk probably isn’t on a lot of money because he came up from the DS and has only played one full season. I would speculate that he is on £7k a week to use as an example.

The club would rather take the £5m than compete with the buying clubs wage offer. He has been told that he will be sold and all he has to do is agree personal terms with the club who are currently offering him say £15k. He wants to stay but it would cost him £400k. He has told the club that he would stay here for less than £15k but the club are not negotiating because it is time for him to fly the nest and they want to cash in the £5m.

So it’s not about him wanting to go but about him being put into into a position where he has to go for financial reasons. I would imagine this could be quite daunting for him after being looked after by the club for so long, and now not being part of our future.

All hypothetical of course, but it could explain why he isn't in the right frame of mind as Aspinall suggested. Hopefully he will have one more game at the Amex to thank him and send him on his way.

Excellent theory. Dunk is a Brighton boy. He loves this city and probably loves the club too. I doubt he'd just "refuse to play" after being linked away to one very average club. He knows his future is at bigger places, and that he's still young. Probably a case of us wanting to cash in our chips instead.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Each time Fulham attacked my heart was in my mouth. I think we missed Dunk's calmness. To say that he would not be missed if he goes is total stupidity. I'd rather have him in the team than Greer. Should Dunk leave, I doubt it would be to Fulham, Good luck to him. Some people on NSC behave like a bunch of spoilt Brats.

This all day long

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Each time Fulham attacked my heart was in my mouth. I think we missed Dunk's calmness. To say that he would not be missed if he goes is total stupidity. I'd rather have him in the team than Greer. Should Dunk leave, I doubt it would be to Fulham, Good luck to him. Some people on NSC behave like a bunch of spoilt Brats.
Really? They didn't really create much in their 20 minute spell of pressure which is to expected when playing away, Stockers only really had one decent save to make. I actually think the opposite of you and get nervous when GG is not in the side as Dunk tends to look average.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Excellent theory. Dunk is a Brighton boy. He loves this city and probably loves the club too. I doubt he'd just "refuse to play" after being linked away to one very average club. He knows his future is at bigger places, and that he's still young. Probably a case of us wanting to cash in our chips instead.

Yep I think so. He has probably only ever dreamed about taking us to and playing in the Prem and being part of the new Amex era. I am sure if he goes it will be with a heavy heart.

Would be gutted for him if he goes to Fulham, we get promoted and they don't.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Uwe is fantastic. It's Uwe and Dunk or Greer and Uwe for me. We were under masses of pressure in the second half but in reality they only scored once and that was an unbelievable strike totally out of the blue.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Uwe is fantastic. It's Uwe and Dunk or Greer and Uwe for me. We were under masses of pressure in the second half but in reality they only scored once and that was an unbelievable strike totally out of the blue.

For a first game, a couple of days after joining, his performance today was exceptional. He is going to be brilliant for us.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Would it not be unreasonable for the club to offer Dunk a pay rise on his contract, that's if he's happy at his home town club?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Would it not be unreasonable for the club to offer Dunk a pay rise on his contract, that's if he's happy at his home town club?

Not if they want the £5m. I don't think sentiment comes into it. All players will end up as memories and in reality it is a cattle market, and probably has to be thought of that way.

Just enjoy them whilst they are here and then the next ones.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thank you, Sir.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I noticed Dunk going off down the tunnel when the players had come back on for the second half then he came back a little later. Any ideas why?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here