Dunk - Refusing to play?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely if Fulham have offered Dunk 20k then they have made an illegal approach, I do not recall anywhere where the club have allowed Fulham to approach Dunk.
Yeah, but we know that happens with every transfer, right? The players agent will have been happy to talk to Fulham, and check what sort of figures they're thinking of.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely if Fulham have offered Dunk 20k then they have made an illegal approach, I do not recall anywhere where the club have allowed Fulham to approach Dunk.

Well yes. I'm sure they haven't OFFERED him anything. They have just had their representatives MENTION to somebody in Dunk's camp, what the offer WOULD be.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Well yes. I'm sure they haven't OFFERED him anything. They have just had their representatives MENTION to somebody in Dunk's camp, what the offer WOULD be.

I agree with you and Triggar, but what puzzles me is, how has that sum been banded about for all and sundry to know. I am sure that Dunk and his agent would keep that information under raps, and not release it for some on NSC to disclose it, particularly as we really do not know what his current earnings are.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Assuming there's real fire behind this smoke, and it seems from some of the posts on here there may well be, this just underlines why it's so hard as a fan to get really passionate about your team these days. If one of your own, who I remember sitting in front of his dad at Lancing Culver Rd whilst he played for the reserves not so long ago, can essentially try and hold his/our club to ransom over a move to a team in the same division simply because they'll pay him more then who's left to kiss the badge and really mean it? I know it's the modern era, and you can't blame the player due to the huge rewards resulting from the obscene amounts of money sloshing about in the game now, but it doesn't change the fact that every season we're left with a pretty nasty taste in our mouths at some point. Sad days.

Its rumoured that FFC are offering him 20k per week. Its a very generous offer, but definitely not unfeasible.
When did Dunk sign his current deal? Last summer he wasn't even first choice - £7k a week in those circumstances entirely plausible.

Couple of big if's in your post there Hans.

IF Fulham are offering 20k p w

IF Dunk is on 7k a week.

But let's assume for a moment you are right, I have no idea, like most people.

Let me throw another IF into the mix.

IF we wanted him to stay surely we could have given him a new contract, or maybe just double his wages. Cut down significantly the difference between what he is on with us and what he would get with Fulham.

Didn't some official report say recently the average wage in the Championship was 10k p w? Dunk is clealy some way above the average payer so paying him 14 or 15k a week (or even higher if that fits in with our pay scale) wouldn't be off the scale? Would he go to Fulham just for a few grand a week extra, say 20% more less tax?

But if you are right and the club haven't offered him a better deal then I don't blame Dunk for going

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Assuming there's real fire behind this smoke, and it seems from some of the posts on here there may well be, this just underlines why it's so hard as a fan to get really passionate about your team these days. If one of your own, who I remember sitting in front of his dad at Lancing Culver Rd whilst he played for the reserves not so long ago, can essentially try and hold his/our club to ransom over a move to a team in the same division simply because they'll pay him more then who's left to kiss the badge and really mean it? I know it's the modern era, and you can't blame the player due to the huge rewards resulting from the obscene amounts of money sloshing about in the game now, but it doesn't change the fact that every season we're left with a pretty nasty taste in our mouths at some point. Sad days.

Very well put. If any of this is actually true why can't the club simply refuse all offers and let him play in the reserves. It surely won't be long until he then changes his tune!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Assuming there's real fire behind this smoke, and it seems from some of the posts on here there may well be.

How many people on this forum are really really in the know. How many people on this forum really really have access to wage offers supposedly made to one of our players by another club. Really really.

Some people just like blowing smoke.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I would be shocked if he was doing this but then who knows young players now get greedy and impatient and throw tantrums dont they.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Couple of big if's in your post there Hans.

IF Fulham are offering 20k p w

IF Dunk is on 7k a week.

But let's assume for a moment you are right, I have no idea, like most people.

IF we wanted him to stay surely we could have given him a new contract, or maybe just double his wages. Cut down significantly the difference between what he is on with us and what he would get with Fulham.

Didn't some official report say recently the average wage in the Championship was 10k p w? Dunk is clealy some way above the average payer so paying him 14 or 15k a week (or even higher if that fits in with our pay scale) wouldn't be off the scale? Would he go to Fulham just for a few grand a week extra, say 20% more less tax?

But if you are right and the club haven't offered him a better deal then I don't blame Dunk for going

He is only a year past a four year deal he signed Happily last season.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I think we should freeze this thread until 3.00 tomorrow. let's be honest - none of us has the faintest idea and until Dunk publicly does a Bridcutt we should be supporting one of our best.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
2377.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree with you and Triggar
Who is this impostor?
but what puzzles me is, how has that sum been banded about for all and sundry to know. I am sure that Dunk and his agent would keep that information under raps, and not release it for some on NSC to disclose it
Maybe someone's made an educated guess.

I agree that we should offer him a better deal to stay, but I wouldn't expect a defender to be on that much. Much of Dunk's value is in the fact that he's still young with potential. If the average wage is 10k pw, that takes into account those coming down from the PL on inflated wages, and also strikers, I wouldn't expect defenders at Dunk's level to be on that much. If we give him too big a pay rise, captain Greer would also be after more etc, it would be a can of worms the club can't afford.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that if there any truth in him refusing to play I would think it is because his agent has told him of interest from Newcastle, Everton or some other club in the Premier. The club then using Fulham as a cover story.

As far as tapping goes some years ago Johnny Marshall of Fulham had an ' insurance agent call on him at his home in Epsom ,ask if he wanted to buy some insurance, when he said what he was earning the chap said why dont you join BHA they would pay you x amount.' We obviously denied all knowledge of the caller.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports