Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - Refusing to play?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I certainly hope that's the case. But you'll forgive me if I don't have TOTAL faith in Andy "Forget Zamora, never gonna happen" Naylor and his assertions on tomorrows team selection.

You mean to say the Argus might get it wrong sometimes? :whistle:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I certainly hope that's the case. But you'll forgive me if I don't have TOTAL faith in Andy "Forget Zamora, never gonna happen" Naylor and his assertions on tomorrows team selection.

I might be editing that to read 'squad' not 'team' if I were Andy. Just to cover my arse.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
There aren't many jobs where you can just refuse to work - especially high profile well paid ones - and have another employer say "Oh let's get him on the staff"

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Actually, yes.

Tony loses 10 million a year, on top of revenue. It has to go somewhere, and is no longer funding Kemy, CMS etc.

I suppose clearing the deadwood has freed up some funds but I'm not completely convinced that we would spend this much without recouping a fair chunk of it. Mind you, this could well be the Ulloa money (which I presume rose to around £10 million with Leicester staying up) being reinvested.

If we don't sell Dunk and sign Murphy + 1 or 2 others, I think it's fair to say that we are 'going for it' this season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Does anyone believe that the club would spend £3 million or so on Murphy and Huenemeier, £1 million on Hemed and wages/fees for Zamora, Rosenior and all the other signings without making the majority of it back?

Bloom spends £10-£15m a year he doesn't "get back". So yes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I suppose clearing the deadwood has freed up some funds but I'm not completely convinced that we would spend this much without recouping a fair chunk of it. Mind you, this could well be the Ulloa money (which I presume rose to around £10 million with Leicester staying up) being reinvested.

If we don't sell Dunk and sign Murphy + 1 or 2 others, I think it's fair to say that we are 'going for it' this season.

I would imagine if we sold Dunk we'd have to invest a reasonable proportion of the fee on a replacement. That replacement might well also be on higher wages than Dunk is currently. The only thing that is certain here is that Dunk will be quite a bit wealthier by September.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mischief Making somewhere along the line...

Or someone saying 'I reckon he's refused to play' being heard as 'he's refused to pay'.
What's he refused to pay for?

Dunk has been stealing from the club shop!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I am old enough to remember a story about Brian Clough and Peter O'Sullivan when Sully was reported to have put in a transfer request and Clough supposedly told Sully that he had accepted a bid from (I think) Hartlepools who were then around the bottom of the Football League and this was the only deal Clough was prepared to accept. Sully didn't move and stayed as we all know a long long time after that.

There are stories of players being made to train with the youth or made to stay for their contracts end. This tends to show players do not have the whip hand, but I suppose those days are gone now.

Yes, I think your conclusion is correct. I seem to remember an article by Robbie Savage on the BBC website about two years ago listing about eight ways that players can force a transfer. I think he admitted to one or two!

There is also this article that appeared shortly before Raheem Sterling's exit from Liverpool.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/09/five-ways-force-transfer-football-raheem-sterling

The game's moved on a lot in terms of financial security for players since Jimmy Hill successfully campaigned to scrap the £20 football league maximum wage but it does seem that the balance has swung too far for many loyal supporters of teams outside the mega rich top flight.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did Kemy also refuse to play?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I remember Ashley Barnes' last game for us: he chased everything, gave 100% and set up the winning goal. He was gone two days later. Some players are pretty professional - they're not all Bridcutts. I certainly see Dunk as one of those, can't see him pulling a strop

Ah yes and the moneyball approach meant that we wouldn't give him the extra £500 a week and the 2 year deal.

So in Burnley came and all our striking problems started...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Isnt Greer injured?

Club are reporting no injuries for tomorrow in entire squad apart from Zamora who has been earmarked for Dev Squad on Monday.

Hughton:
"We don’t really have any injuries which is a nice position to be in at the moment and we have a very competitive squad. I am delighted for the ones that played in midweek at Southend and most of the players have either now got through 90 minutes or close to 90 minutes in the last two games. We now have a real good overall fitness in the squad.”
via
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/chris-hughton-on-brighton-hove-albion-v-fulham-2617799.aspx#

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Club are reporting no injuries for tomorrow in entire squad apart from Zamora who has been earmarked for Dev Squad on Monday.

Hughton:
"We don’t really have any injuries which is a nice position to be in at the moment and we have a very competitive squad. I am delighted for the ones that played in midweek at Southend and most of the players have either now got through 90 minutes or close to 90 minutes in the last two games. We now have a real good overall fitness in the squad.”
via
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/chris-hughton-on-brighton-hove-albion-v-fulham-2617799.aspx#

Does that mean Crofts could be back too?

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Its rumoured that FFC are offering him 20k per week. Its a very generous offer, but definitely not unfeasible.
When did Dunk sign his current deal? Last summer he wasn't even first choice - £7k a week in those circumstances entirely plausible.

Surely if Fulham have offered Dunk 20k then they have made an illegal approach, I do not recall anywhere where the club have allowed Fulham to approach Dunk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here