Driving offence; advice sought

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D

Drips

edna krabappel said:
The ANPR system has some uses though, regardless of people moaning about speed traps.

The Met identified the three men responsible for killing that PC in Bradford through ANPR cameras. When they drove the car used in the raid through the congestion charge zone, the cameras then picked up the index that West Yorks police had circulated.

Similarly, I think some of the 7/7 terrorists were identified partly by the technology used.

Thats great & I aint got a problem with any of that but when the criminals wise up to these cameras & fit false plates or whatever to do their dark deeds, it will be the normal Joe's, the man in the street, the reps & the van drivers who'll end up getting whacked again.

Speed cameras, & traffic wardens all hitting the bloke trying to do a days work but whos catching the real bad guys?

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I got flashed at the set of traffic lights at Preston Park on the way home from the Hull game at withdean. Hoping it was a dummy camera but knowing my luck I'll get a nice letter.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
cheshunt seagull said:
A couple of evenings ago I was in a car heading on the M4 out of London, looking to turn off to the M25. We left it too late to turn into the left lane to get to the M25 and ended up driving and stopping in the area dividing the lanes with white diagonal line markings. From there we moved into the M25 exit lane, when it was clear.

A stupid mistake, no attempt at excuses, but what are the chances of this being caught on CCTV and a prosecution resulting?

Now i'm not the greatest driver in the world, but just how the f*** did you come to miss one of the country's busiest motorway junctions which probably has more advanced signs per linear mile than anyway else on earth!!!

you were napping weren't you? go on admit it

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I remember when I got my photo card license, I thought 'great, easy to keep piece of plastic, in my wallet, won't fall apart, got a bar code, computer says, clean'

WRONG

its useless, the signature and photo are so small they're not suitable for proof of identity. the bar code doesn't seem to do anything and the Police won't accept it without the flimsy paperwork.

absolutely pathetic, so it's filed under 'craply executed idea documents' in the study and I only get it out for special occaisions.

ie when I get colared by an unmarked mobile camera unit in October !!!!!!!!! :angry:

The MSA issue me an International C Motor racing lisence every year, it costs me £140 and every race We're monitored for behaviour etc, and they do get endorsed, with comments on file if your naughty. I also have to spend £60 on getting a full medical done each year to prove I'm fit. Its FiA recognised and I can race anywhere in he world.

I reckon thats a small price to pay on the road as well, especially as its primarily a safety thing and would eliminatre 10% of the worst drivers, thue saving you your £200 in insurance etc !

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Driving offence; advice sought

Brighton TID said:
Now i'm not the greatest driver in the world, but just how the f*** did you come to miss one of the country's busiest motorway junctions which probably has more advanced signs per linear mile than anyway else on earth!!!

you were napping weren't you? go on admit it

No, I wasn't napping, I got m25n and M25s mixed up and thought that my lane was M25n, and then I realised I was heading for the West No excuse at all, I do a fair amount of motorway driving and have never done anything like that before. To say I am not proud is an understatement.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It is an easy mistake to make, a couple of weeks ago I was heading south on the A1(M) with a colleague, we were chatting and missed our exit, I could quite easily have chosen to cut across an articulated lorry and made my turn, however I chose to carry on to the next exit instead to rectify my error.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
cheshunt seagull said:
A couple of evenings ago I was in a car heading on the M4 out of London, looking to turn off to the M25. We left it too late to turn into the left lane to get to the M25 and ended up driving and stopping in the area dividing the lanes with white diagonal line markings. From there we moved into the M25 exit lane, when it was clear.

A stupid mistake, no attempt at excuses, but what are the chances of this being caught on CCTV and a prosecution resulting?

BURN HIM, he is a menace
:flameboun :flameboun :flameboun :flameboun

:clap2: :clap2:

PC BHA

Sep 29, 2005
To alleviate your fears,

The worst I can see from what you are telling me is that you have committed the offense of driving without due care and attention. If and as i say, very unlikely, if you are summonsed and you have no previous convictions, you would probably receive a caution and no points. If other vehicles had to swerve or they had statements from other drivers as to your driving being bad it could be classed as dangerous driving.

Believe you me, with all other priorities we are given from the government, you will be ok..

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
PC BHA said:
To alleviate your fears,

The worst I can see from what you are telling me is that you have committed the offense of driving without due care and attention. If and as i say, very unlikely, if you are summonsed and you have no previous convictions, you would probably receive a caution and no points. If other vehicles had to swerve or they had statements from other drivers as to your driving being bad it could be classed as dangerous driving.

Believe you me, with all other priorities we are given from the government, you will be ok..

Can I write in and pretend I had to swerve to avoid him?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
PC BHA said:
The chances of you being summonsed for this offence are very very very minimal.

In any case the police would have to summonse you within 14 days of the period.

If you dont believe me look at my username, it gives you a clue...

Was this in reply to the person who 'got lost' on the M25/M4 Junction or about speed cameras.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports