Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drink driver jailed after killing a pedestrian

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
100% my biggest fear, hearing an engine coming up fast behind, drunk driver or mobile phone. Cycling into work last night a car ‘roared’ past me at at least 60mph barely three feet clear of me and I’m always sure to be as tight to the kerb/verge as can be. Terrifying.
Not a scientific experiment, but from running alongside cars I would say mobile phone use while driving is far more (youngish) female than any other category which as a runner is more of an issue around town than in the sticks. Out of town and on the single track lanes the issue appears to Tabitha and Toby being taken to the stables by stressed mummy in her Range Rover. I’ve had to literally jump into the hedge several times.
This is one of the main reasons I now do fell running. Even going for a 20-minute jog around the residential streets (and if dark, lit up like a Christmas tree with reflective clothing and lights) I still always get one or two people who don't see me and attempt to run me over. You don't get that up on the moors.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems low as they arrested him for GBH with intent which carries a maximum life sentence. Seems he got off lightly.
I guess it wouldn't have looked so out of place if I had dropped this in yesterday.

RowZ

Sep 12, 2022
Blame the culture - even this board has glasses of beer emojis for celebration. Any society that has alcohol for celebrations, births, deaths, marriages, leaving work - is destined for things like this. It's like going crazy for someone having an STD when there are whorehouses on every street corner.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Upsetting footage.
Once again killing someone with a vehicle results in the drunken response of:-

'its ok I'll only get 2 or 3 years' - life's cheap when you're driving.

How do we campaign to have the sentence increased to 50 years?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Blame the culture - even this board has glasses of beer emojis for celebration. Any society that has alcohol for celebrations, births, deaths, marriages, leaving work - is destined for things like this.
Have you posted on the wrong thread?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How do we campaign to have the sentence increased to 50 years?
All the time 6 deaths a week are treated as acceptable there's nothing to be done.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All the time 6 deaths a week are treated as acceptable there's nothing to be done.
Accidents are quite different to what that person did.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
I guess it wouldn't have looked so out of place if I had dropped this in yesterday.

This is local to me, the muppet stalled for 2 years pleading not guilty, putting the families through hell and then changed his plea to guilty the day before the trial was due to begin.
He also destroyed his dash cam, which was in his vehicle at the time.
Absolute oxygen thief.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

So out in say 6 years?

These particular offences, for so many reasons, are half way between murder and manslaughter to me.

Hopefully Parliament looks at this soon. It needs another ratcheting up, and some.

Pleading guilty (when that occurs) shouldn't be a big factor in sentencing, in these particular taking of lives. It's not in murder sentencing. At most, making a small difference.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So out in say 6 years?

These particular offences, for so many reasons, are half way between murder and manslaughter to me.

Hopefully Parliament looks at this soon. It needs another ratcheting up, and some.

Pleading guilty (when that occurs) shouldn't be a big factor in sentencing, in these particular taking of lives. It's not in murder sentencing. At most, making a small difference.
His 6 previous speeding offences should have been taken into consideration.
The man wasn't going to change his ways voluntarily.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
His 6 previous speeding offences should have been taken into consideration.
The man wasn't going to change his ways voluntarily.
When you cycle alone, how close to the kerb/gutter do you cycle?

I’m aware of the modern thinking from Boardman et al, now enshrined in the Highway Code, about making yourself more visible, owning the road, on rural lanes cycle two abreast.

I instinctively do the opposite of staying very left.

The good guys in Rayment Bikes advise to not do as I do, for two reasons. Own the road and you’ll also not collect in your tyres builders screws and nails which have been washed into the gully/gutter.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
What planet are we on where this pond life can intentionally look to hurt a policeman in a car and be disqualified at the same time and only get 4 years?

Our judiciary relationship between cars and sentencing is just mind numbingly bad. It basically is a license to act like a c**t as long as you're in a car.

10 years for killing someone. Sake. Show some backbone and properly put these people away. Our obsession with our right to drive is just incredibly destructive, it isn't a right it is a privilege.
It's time they looked at a driving licence in the same way as they look at gun licences. If someone has a gun licence and uses the gun, drunkenly, recklessly, or deliberately, to kill someone, then they will never again have a gun licence. Why should people who are clearly unfit to drive, get a driving licence?

Most of the cases on this thread should be given a lifetime driving ban. no concessions, and if they are ever caught behind the wheel of a car they go to jail.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I cycle about 80 miles a week and drive about 10,000 miles a year so see it from both sides. There are absolute idiots in both camps - drivers who see it as a personal affront that i am on a bicycle and cyclists who go through red lights, behave like entitled prats and don't actually think about their own vulnerability.
I live on a busy, main street with 2 lanes of traffic in each direction. Just today I've seen the aftermath of a car crash where one guy jumped a red light. Two cars with very smashed up front ends. Drivers always jump the lights there, and I'm always very careful when I'm crossing the street. Not that this is any different to the idiot drivers at every other major junction in the city.

Then this evening, on the same busy street, I was waiting to cross the road and this cyclist comes past in dark clothes and no lights at all. I do not understand why anyone would ride a bike at night without lights, especially in a busy city. Yet I see it multiple times a week.

As I type this, a police car just pulled over a car literally across the road from my house. I assume it jumped the lights.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Interesting stat I saw today.
seatbelt.PNG

So people not wearing seatbelts are responsible for many times as many deaths as cyclists... and this doesn't even account for those who kill people who are wearing seatbelts by flying across a car into them.

@Stat Brother

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here