Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drink driver jailed after killing a pedestrian

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Long overdue being in charge of a minimum 1 Ton mechanism capable of travelling at speeds in excess of 100mph while underthe influence of alcohol or narcotics and killing another individual should automatically carry a prison sentence.

why technology has has not been introduced to automatically control the maximum speed of cars ie you drive into a 30mph zone and the car becomes limited to that speed

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Do you still cycle?

I do (fitness rides). I’m confident but careful (always leaving something in reserve should a driver do something incredibly stupid, selfish and dangerous). The one small fear I always have is being taken out from behind, with zero forewarning, probably by a twat on the mobile or a drink/drug driver.
100% my biggest fear, hearing an engine coming up fast behind, drunk driver or mobile phone. Cycling into work last night a car ‘roared’ past me at at least 60mph barely three feet clear of me and I’m always sure to be as tight to the kerb/verge as can be. Terrifying.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
10am this morning was working on a house in the centre of Shoreham and went out to my van to get something. A couple of builders were working in a house a few doors up. One arrived about the same time as me. About half hour later he came out and sat in the drivers seat, opened up a can of Fosters and downed it, then went back into the house to carry on working. He was about 60.

WTF?

10am? He wasnt driving then but you never know if you have to go out for something you have ran out of when working. Plus working when had a can of beer. Nuts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lucky there wasn’t a similar outcome here

24 months (reduced, no doubt, due to comatose behaviour)?

Into the sea would have been better. With a bag of sand strapped to her back.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
10am this morning was working on a house in the centre of Shoreham and went out to my van to get something. A couple of builders were working in a house a few doors up. One arrived about the same time as me. About half hour later he came out and sat in the drivers seat, opened up a can of Fosters and downed it, then went back into the house to carry on working. He was about 60.

WTF?

10am? He wasnt driving then but you never know if you have to go out for something you have ran out of when working. Plus working when had a can of beer. Nuts.
The choice of beer is as shocking as the act itself.

There’s a certain local landscaping company lorry that’s often parked up on Seaford seafront lunchtimes. The smell and waft of skunk smoke coming from it would down Cheech, Chong, Robert Marley, Howard Marks, Snoop Dog and Willie Nelson combined.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

:shrug::facepalm:
The problem with this thread is that it can easily turn into a thrice daily bounce.

Yesterday could easily have been the uninsured fella from Rotherham who killed a pensioner, while probably drunk and perverted the course of justice (hence probably) and only got 2 years.

But what's the point?

Any old death due to our car dependence is just collateral damage for the greater good.
I only highlighted #1 as, to me at least, it was shocking enough to rise above what's 'normal'.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
The problem with this thread is that it can easily turn into a thrice daily bounce.

Yesterday could easily have been the uninsured fella from Rotherham who killed a pensioner, while probably drunk and perverted the course of justice (hence probably) and only got 2 years.

But what's the point?

Any old death due to our car dependence is just collateral damage for the greater good.
I only highlighted #1 as, to me at least, it was shocking enough to rise above what's 'normal'.
That’s the trouble, lenient sentences if at all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That’s the trouble, lenient sentences if at all.
I'm waiting for one particular sentencing to drop.

Bloke from Hayling Island got out of his car and beat the snot out of a cycling 70 year old cancer sufferer.
When asked why he did it he told the police 'it doesn't matter I'll just get points, a fine, and a bit of community service'.

The judge has said he can expect jail time.
He's now full of remorse and worry for his young children.

The fact I'm not convinced the judge will see it through, says it all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm waiting for one particular sentencing to drop.

Bloke from Hayling Island got out of his car and beat the snot out of a cycling 70 year old cancer sufferer.
When asked why he did it he told the police 'it doesn't matter I'll just get points, a fine, and a bit of community service'.

The judge has said he can expect jail time.
He's now full of remorse and worry for his young children.

The fact I'm not convinced the judge will see it through, says it all.
My fear too. The mortgage and dependents should be an irrelevance, after beating an innocent slight man to a pulp.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Upsetting footage.
Once again killing someone with a vehicle results in the drunken response of:-

'its ok I'll only get 2 or 3 years' - life's cheap when you're driving.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Upsetting footage
"Hopefully I killed 'em"

Watching that pissed up oxygen thieving cun* slurring pathetic shit on camera after taking that young woman's life has left me sitting here fuming, feeling heartbroken for her and her family who now have a lifetime to try and cope with such excruciating sorrow purely because he's such an utterly useless selfish prick.
I genuinely feel I'd like to get to him and beat him to within an inch of his life but I'm not sure I'd stop.
That poor unfortunate girl and family.
Such pain caused.
And for what.

Absolute CUN*!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What planet are we on where this pond life can intentionally look to hurt a policeman in a car and be disqualified at the same time and only get 4 years?

Our judiciary relationship between cars and sentencing is just mind numbingly bad. It basically is a license to act like a c**t as long as you're in a car.

10 years for killing someone. Sake. Show some backbone and properly put these people away. Our obsession with our right to drive is just incredibly destructive, it isn't a right it is a privilege.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What planet are we on where this pond life can intentionally look to hurt a policeman in a car and be disqualified at the same time and only get 4 years?

Our judiciary relationship between cars and sentencing is just mind numbingly bad. It basically is a license to act like a c**t as long as you're in a car.

10 years for killing someone. Sake. Show some backbone and properly put these people away. Our obsession with our right to drive is just incredibly destructive, it isn't a right it is a privilege.
Seems low as they arrested him for GBH with intent which carries a maximum life sentence. Seems he got off lightly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here