Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Don't Pay - Energy Bill Strike Movement

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Probably get your electricity and gas cut off too. I am in the fortunate position to be able to say "Not for me Clive". Plenty won't be

It's a shame we don't have Canda's rules where you are not allowed to turn off ementies during winter. Payment or no payment

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Southern Water, I pay twice a year DD for what I owe. Water meter and all that. My bills are around £250 making £500 a year. They sent me a letter telling me they were going to change this to £80 a month. Current costs are £45 a month so why nearly double it? Women on phone not happy when I said no.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It will come to the point where people are unable / unwilling to pay.

The idea that prices can almost double and everyone still afford it, is ridiculous. The idea that people are not going to kick off when they can’t eat or heat their homes, is ridiculous.

I think pretty soon some people are going to show some people that enough is enough.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Southern Water, I pay twice a year DD for what I owe. Water meter and all that. My bills are around £250 making £500 a year. They sent me a letter telling me they were going to change this to £80 a month. Current costs are £45 a month so why nearly double it? Women on phone not happy when I said no.

That’s an odd one. Water bills went up by an average of 1.7 % in April ie below inflation. There is no correlation with energy bills. Have you recently switched to a water meter showing your actual usage as much higher than estimated ? If so then you have been making sizable savings up to now. With bills that high you might want to investigate whether you have an underground water leak as well.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Germany are continuing the shut down of their remaining nuclear too, 11% of their electric supply disappears by end of the year.

Merkel worse decision but far, complete overreaction to a situation with one reactor

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

We pay Southern Water £700pa for the 4 of us, which includes one being away at uni half the year so 3.5.

Is that steep compared to others here?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We pay Southern Water £700pa for the 4 of us, which includes one being away at uni half the year so 3.5.

Well, we pay around 35 quid a month (so around £420 p.a.) for two of us. We both work but the dishwasher and washing machine get heavy use (particularly the latter as we have a dog). We do take showers rather than baths though which may make a difference.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I realise the rise in gas prices (including gas used to generate electricity) is rocketing up - but why is it costing them any more to maintain the pipes/wires feeding us the power? In other words, what are the purported justifications for raising the standing charge?

The increase in standing charge is to offset the extra cost that the companies had when taking on the customers from the failed companies earlier this year (or was it last year?)

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It will come to the point where people are unable / unwilling to pay.

The idea that prices can almost double and everyone still afford it, is ridiculous. The idea that people are not going to kick off when they can’t eat or heat their homes, is ridiculous.

I think pretty soon some people are going to show some people that enough is enough.

People are going to be seriously impoverished this winter. A third of UK residents have less than £1,500 in savings (that figure is a few years old, so probably worse now). The price cap last winter was around £1,300 pa (gas + electricity, avge household). This winter it looks like being £3,200+ pa. At the same time energy companies are making breathtaking profits. Someone needs to do something - and it doesn't look like the Government will (Rishi and Truss are seemingly oblivious to the looming nightmare). Civil disobedience could be the only thing that works....

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People are going to be seriously impoverished this winter. A third of UK residents have less than £1,500 in savings (that figure is a few years old, so probably worse now). The price cap last winter was around £1,300 pa (gas + electricity, avge household). This winter it looks like being £3,200+ pa. At the same time energy companies are making breathtaking profits. Someone needs to do something - and it doesn't look like the Government will (Rishi and Truss are seemingly oblivious to the looming nightmare). Civil disobedience could be the only thing that works....

I fear we are heading for riots. There’s only so much of the greedy, rich pigs, quaffing wine while raising our taxes and doing F all to help we will take.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Interesting listening to an energy broker the other day, The major companies have bought enough energy to last until 2026 at the old prices. They are charging todays prices on old stock ie hence the huge profits they are making.
If we could all buy direct from the wholesale market we would be paying pennies per Kw/hr.

Nationalisation anyone?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
We will be significantly reducing our energy usage this winter and that combined with the 400 quid Government subsidy will mean we won’t have much higher bills.

How can you ‘significantly reduce’ your energy usage ? I am a pensioner with a wife who is medically vulnerable so heating our home is not an option, added to this my wife is also a WASPI woman hence no OAP until she reaches 66 which is another 18 months so is reliant on my pension income to cover all our living costs ! I doubled my monthly payments for both gas and electric in April and will endeavour to repeat this again from October. Fortunately I worked for a company who ran a contributory pension scheme which was frozen when I was made redundant after the company ceased trading in 1997 when the final salary scheme changed to a defined benefit scheme. The inland revenue graciously allow me one tenth of her tax free allowance (£1250) annually which equates to £250 per annum in real terms then they tax me £40 a week (£2000) from my pension a year for being a good lad and looking to not being a drain on the state when I reached retirement age. Tories eh, don’t you just love em ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
How can you ‘significantly reduce’ your energy usage ? I am a pensioner with a wife who is medically vulnerable so heating our home is not an option, added to this my wife is also a WASPI woman hence no OAP until she reaches 66 which is another 18 months so is reliant on my pension income to cover all our living costs ! I doubled my monthly payments for both gas and electric in April and will endeavour to repeat this again from October. Fortunately I worked for a company who ran a contributory pension scheme which was frozen when I was made redundant after the company ceased trading in 1997 when the final salary scheme changed to a defined benefit scheme. The inland revenue graciously allow me one tenth of her tax free allowance (£1250) annually which equates to £250 per annum in real terms then they tax me £40 a week (£2000) from my pension a year for being a good lad and looking to not being a drain on the state when I reached retirement age. Tories eh, don’t you just love em ?

I am also medically vulnerable. One by product of this is poor circulation which means I really feel the cold, particularly hands and feet. We can significantly reduce our energy usage though with warm clothes, blankets and watching more tv in bed ! We have a plan. Both of us can remember the days before central heating when we were kids. By the way our energy bills have been going down all year as we are using less energy. I’m just talking about the choices we are making as we have better things to spend our money on. It’s not a recommendation for anyone else.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

2 of us in a bungalow, water charges roughly £300 every six months, what pi**es me off is that they charge more to treat waste water than they do for supplying, this is especially galling as I am using all used bath water to irrigate the lawns, baling out and lugging buckets then having to pay these bandits for removing and treating it.!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
2 of us in a bungalow, water charges roughly £300 every six months, what pi**es me off is that they charge more to treat waste water than they do for supplying, this is especially galling as I am using all used bath water to irrigate the lawns, baling out and lugging buckets then having to pay these bandits for removing and treating it.!

My neighbour, heavily into gardening, does that too. I wouldn't mind having one of the waste water systems that takes the waste water to water butts in the garden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here