Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Don't Pay - Energy Bill Strike Movement

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Apologies if fixtures, but this civil disobedience movement is growing fast ahead of the anticipated c80% increased in energy bills from October 1st.

I really hope millions get behind this and force the government to act.

https://dontpay.uk/

Millions of us won’t be able to afford food and bills this winter.

We cannot afford to let that happen.

We demand a reduction of bills to an affordable level.
We will cancel our direct debits from Oct. 1 if we are ignored.
The campaign starts now with your help.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah good way to run up excess debt and get black marks on your credit record [emoji106]

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yeah good way to run up excess debt and get black marks on your credit record [emoji106]

The plan is cancel the DD, put the money aside and pay what you owe after a couple of months. You'd not get a black mark on your credit score.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The plan is cancel the DD, put the money aside and pay what you owe after a couple of months. You'd not get a black mark on your credit score.

Probably get your electricity and gas cut off too. I am in the fortunate position to be able to say "Not for me Clive". Plenty won't be

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cancel the DD on 1st. October - Gas and electric cut of 2nd. November. Probably the wrong tome of year for such a protest. The other problem is that so many of us are on combined tariffs - just one payment for Gas and electric. It would be one thing living without gas for a while - alternative heating (althugh expensive) could be used, along with much more warm clothing, but no gas or electricity would be real hardship - no lights, no TV/radio, no internet, no fridge or freezer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not overly keen on the amount of tax I pay. Can I stop paying that as well?

Maybe just get a better accountant?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm not overly keen on the amount of tax I pay. Can I stop paying that as well?

That would depend on whether you're a billionaire or not.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Cancel the DD on 1st. October - Gas and electric cut of 2nd. November. Probably the wrong tome of year for such a protest. The other problem is that so many of us are on combined tariffs - just one payment for Gas and electric. It would be one thing living without gas for a while - alternative heating (althugh expensive) could be used, along with much more warm clothing, but no gas or electricity would be real hardship - no lights, no TV/radio, no internet, no fridge or freezer.

Court orders to cut people off take at least 6 months on average

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
We will be significantly reducing our energy usage this winter and that combined with the 400 quid Government subsidy will mean we won’t have much higher bills.

Sadly with the increases in standing charges, you'll only be able to do so much

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Court orders to cut people off take at least 6 months on average

When does a debt get passed to a collector ? Still not sure what this ‘does’ exactly , especially if it’s being paid a month or so later any way ?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
When does a debt get passed to a collector ? Still not sure what this ‘does’ exactly , especially if it’s being paid a month or so later any way ?

Around 60-90 days I imagine. But if you have an active complaint, then they have to resolve this first.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Sadly with the increases in standing charges, you'll only be able to do so much

True. The thing is though we have to reduce energy usage anyway to facilitate the energy transition. There simply aren’t enough renewable energy sources for us to keep living as we have been. I’m not comfortable with the idea of people refusing to pay their bills and then continuing to consume at the same rate, as current marginal demand is only satisfied by fossil fuel burning power stations. I’m speaking as someone who is very susceptible to the cold because of health problems but we just have to reduce our energy consumption. High prices are inevitable I’m afraid.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I don't like how much food is costing in the supermarket now.

I'm not going to pay for my trolley load any more. Perhaps we should start a movement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here