Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Don't Pay - Energy Bill Strike Movement

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I am also medically vulnerable. One by product of this is poor circulation which means I really feel the cold, particularly hands and feet. We can significantly reduce our energy usage though with warm clothes, blankets and watching more tv in bed ! We have a plan. Both of us can remember the days before central heating when we were kids. By the way our energy bills have been going down all year as we are using less energy. I’m just talking about the choices we are making as we have better things to spend our money on. It’s not a recommendation for anyone else.

Yes I remember those days, ten of us in a council house, one coal fire in the front room to heat the whole house, all hot water heated from behind the coal fire. Frozen patterns on the inside of all windows where breathing formed condensation which froze overnight, no washing machines in those days just an old copper with a gas ring under it to heat the washing water, bread and dripping for dinner or if you were unlucky like I was on a couple of occasions spreading lard on dry bread. Lucky to have bread I suppose eh !

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
My neighbour, heavily into gardening, does that too. I wouldn't mind having one of the waste water systems that takes the waste water to water butts in the garden.

I’d love one too but living in a bungalow where the waste water is 4 feet below the kitchen floor, that is not an option unfortunately !

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Why is the price cap going up again in October?

In fact why did it raise the first time?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

So that Octopus and all the energy suppliers didn’t go under. The wholesale cost of gas quintupled across Europe, due to Putin waging war and punishing Germany.

81963682-4C4E-4151-A082-2A2D9C83A0E6.png

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the cap is a limit to how much bills can rise, assessed every 6 mth, to protect consumers from sudden changes to energy prices. its gone up twice and likely again because energy prices have surged since last autumn and not come down. without it prices would have gone up 4-5x rather than 2x so far.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

That's a trick question isn't it?

Or have you not been paying attention at the back?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In a lot of cases they would have chosen not to buy forward. Airlines tend to operate in the same way. They don’t want to tie up the capital required for long term hedging and they always hope the price goes down anyway. I think you are mixing up a few things. The big winners in this are the owners of the assets which is partly the oil majors but even these are far outnumbered by state oil companies. Those profits aren’t from being able to access the wholesale market. They are from owning assets that have happened to go up in price. Those same assets weren’t looking so good a couple of years ago when oil prices went negative. This all applies to crude oil and crude oil products. Gas prices have rocketed because of European dependence on Russian supplies and this has consequences in the electricity market. I guess the point I am making though is that anybody who stocked up on anything pre this year either had a natural long position and took a speculative view not to sell forward or simply took a speculative view to be long. I just think the whole retail system is inherently unstable as small suppliers are incentivized to take too much risk. It would be much better to have one state owned energy company with a big enough book to hedge the nation’s energy needs effectively. Basically like we used to have pre privatization.

I don't know where the hell he is and why he didn't pick up on this himself, but

I didn't come here for a lecture in communism.

:wink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nah, but it would reverse what your heroes have done since 1979 eh, then all profits would go to the state rather then your mates pockets ?

you should move on and understand this crisis streatches across europe and the world. read whats happening elsewhere with restrictions, rationing, prices rising.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Thanks.

Do you recycle water, for the garden?

I fitted myself a rainwater harvesting system about 7 years ago, so have 3 toilets and washing machine off rainwater.
The watertwo valve wouldn’t work at my house as I have internal SVP but sell plenty of the valves.
I’m partial to sling the washing up water on the lawn during the summer, but have given up this year :lolol:
I did water efficiency for Anglian water so water saving is a bit of an obsession, and have got my bill down to £25 for the month for three of us.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Britain, winter 2022, families spending their evenings huddled round a candle wearing their entire winter wardrobe at once, before struggling out to work in the morning.

Never, ever let anyone tell you this Conservative Party are fit and proper persons to run an advanced economy, although we’ve almost achieved the languid lounger Jacob Rees-Mogg’s fetish/fantasy of returning us to the Victorian era.

How dare we, working a mere 37 hours a week, have ideas above our station such as warm homes and food. When I look at how far we’ve come in the last 12 years, I want to give a slow steady handclap to Cameron and Osborne, to Johnson and Sunak, and to those who have voted for them and continue to enable them. Bravo lads, bravo.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Britain, winter 2022, families spending their evenings huddled round a candle wearing their entire winter wardrobe at once, before struggling out to work in the morning.

Never, ever let anyone tell you this Conservative Party are fit and proper persons to run an advanced economy, although we’ve almost achieved the languid lounger Jacob Rees-Mogg’s fetish/fantasy of returning us to the Victorian era.

How dare we, working a mere 37 hours a week, have ideas above our station such as warm homes and food. When I look at how far we’ve come in the last 12 years, I want to give a slow steady handclap to Cameron and Osborne, to Johnson and Sunak, and to those who have voted for them and continue to enable them. Bravo lads, bravo.

Putin's actually caused this :shit: and he's no doubt gaining great pleasure at the pain being experienced across democratic Europe.

It's now over to PM-elect Truss to do something about it, it will incredibly costly one way or another (borrowing vastly or upping taxes). I'm 99% certain she'll fail.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
It will come to the point where people are unable / unwilling to pay.

The idea that prices can almost double and everyone still afford it, is ridiculous. The idea that people are not going to kick off when they can’t eat or heat their homes, is ridiculous.

I think pretty soon some people are going to show some people that enough is enough.

I also think this is what will happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here