Dont confuse Christianity with religion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
In my experience those with faith are a lot more content with life than atheists, purely because they have hope - hope is a powerful thing. Equally they always have someone to support and guide them in times of need - God. Whether he exists or not isn't important, but the effect that the belief in him has on people is incredible.

I would argue that the nihilistic view that the world and life is ultimately pointless, and we should live for today and overindulge in pointless hedonism, along with the fear of death and the pressure to live our lives to the fullest, is far more damaging.

It's the simpler things in life that are the root of contentment & happiness - love, family , community, goodness, spirituality - All things that Christianity actively encourages, and society is losing.

But you are mistaking faith with religion, I have faith but I do not give a toss for religion or God as long as each of us have faith in something it is enough for me my family and friends provide me with faith and I am happy with life. To claim that non believers cannot be completely happy with life is a typical religious myopic view and why most atheists have no time for religion in any shape or creed.
Christianity was a human creation to control the masses no more.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
In my experience those with faith are a lot more content with life than atheists, purely because they have hope - hope is a powerful thing. Equally they always have someone to support and guide them in times of need - God. Whether he exists or not isn't important, but the effect that the belief in him has on people is incredible.

I would argue that the nihilistic view that the world and life is ultimately pointless
, and we should live for today and overindulge in pointless hedonism, along with the fear of death and the pressure to live our lives to the fullest, is far more damaging.

It's the simpler things in life that are the root of contentment & happiness - love, family , community, goodness, spirituality - All things that Christianity actively encourages, and society is losing.

That really is a pointless and a typical patronising comment one would expect from a preachy religious type.

and what on earth point of view is "the world and life is ultimately pointless"........i have only ever met one person who thought constantly like this and he put a gun to his mouth......he was a staunch catholic as well all be it with obvious medical issues

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I would argue that the nihilistic view that the world and life is ultimately pointless, and we should live for today and overindulge in pointless hedonism, along with the fear of death and the pressure to live our lives to the fullest, is far more damaging.

I stopped reading at this point. For many, it is this type of attitude that really turns people off religion and religious types.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well they're not your kids, so don't let it f*** you off. They do this because they genuinely believe that their children will be happier with God in their lives - maybe they're right - but either way the children will one day grow up and have the opportunity to make their own minds up , as many do. I believed in God as a child, and I'm grateful that I did, it gave me comfort & taught me morality as a child... I no longer believe in God.

It fucks me off that people mistreat, neglect, abuse & beat their children and I think this is a far more common and dangerous problem. Perhaps even a problem that Christianity could help improve.

Not if the catholic priest currently being investigated over here are anything to go by.

Was part of the morality it taught you that other religions are inherently evil, there are gods chosen people and everybody else that women are less important than men or that loving someone of the same gender as you is ungodly.

I think that using religion as a guide to morality is dangerous as so much can be misinterpreted or twisted to support a certain view point. The Bible part 1 is little with hideous moral and ethical messages and a vengeful and spiteful god.

I do, however, believe that there are some wonderful stories in religious script but we must be selective with what we teach.

Genuine question. Do you think you would have learned morality without your Christian up bringing?

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Funny how so many of you assume I am Christian because I am defending an ideology that promotes peace, goodness, humility, community, family, charity, forgiveness and so many other positive things - things that society is desperately losing.

I suspect you only demonise it because you don't believe in God yourselves.

(for the record, I'm not Christian, nor do I believe in God)

I think it is more that people see that religion, whilst it can do all those things you suggest is not the only way to achieve them. People are also suggesting that their is a negative side to religion which seems to be ignored or denied by its supporters.

As for your whose faith. I don't think it matter as bit you are taking one side of the discussion other are taking the other. What does it matter your personal beliefs? You are defedning religion so it is fair to assume you are religious, in this case you are not....who cares?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
What really fucks me off is that Christians brainwash their young. My parents-in-law constantly try to do this to my kids, and it really gets to me. I don't preach to my kids that God doesn't exist - I'll leave it to them to make their own minds up. But for some reason, Christians (like most religious groups) feel the need to brainwash the young with their beliefs - including anti-gay crap. It's child abuse

Think you'll find that most parents "brainwash" their children to some extent or another. I don't want my daughter growing up supporting Palace, or Swindon like her mum for instance. I brainwashing her by taking her to the Amex and instilling the Brighton way into her?

Personally, I agree with you. I don't like kids being indoctrinated into any religion (not just Christianity)and prefer they make their mind up when they are at an age to actively choose for themselves, I just disagree with the term brainwashing-indoctrinated is much more apt. Also I think you'll find that other religions are MUCH worse at how they teach their young, then Christians.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I tried hard when I was a nipper at my catholic school to find Jesus but he just never came to me. It would be nice to think we go somewhere else and meet this sweet man gives us everlasting peace and love. My sister is a born again Christian and she is happy.........mad but happy. It always amazes me how many intelligent men and women seem to believe in an afterlife.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think I might enjoy joining one of those religious sects you read about who let you drink, take drugs and participate in free love. Would even get up early on a Sunday for half hours praying if they let me in.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

Hope? Hope that your dead body will be whisked up into the sky to live in the clouds with a mystical Superhero amongst your dead family and friends? It does sound a bit silly doesn't it? Doesn't it...?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It would be equally as ignorant to believe that nothing happens after death, it's something that no human can know. However having faith in something that brings you hope & comfort can only be a good thing - can't it?

Yes I suppose but..........

There ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell.
Except the one we're in, and you know to well
There's no-one waiting on,
Waiting on a higher high.
Don't let the only world you're ever gonna live in pass you by.

Burn two spliff play ital riddem
Rub two dub burn ital collie
Because the rhythm a the marshall

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Some of us are a bit (i.e. a lot) more accepting than that. We are not all the same.

And the original poster, in talking about God's plans for us, seems to be ignoring the concept of free will, and he also seems to be a creationist, so I would think that I, as a Christian, have very little in common with him. Please don't tar us all with the same brush. It gets a bit wearing.

Sad irrevant political view. But, hey ho.......

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It would be equally as ignorant to believe that nothing happens after death, it's something that no human can know. However having faith in something that brings you hope & comfort can only be a good thing - can't it?

Why does one need hope and comfort that was you have keeled over there maybe some afterlife that you have to endure. Many people i know that are nearing their end can't wait to kick it. Their body is knackered and their mind tired of living. Perhaps there is something later on but it isn't worth devoting your life to thinking about it because if there isn't what a total waste time that would be. Perhaps enjoying oneself whilst here might be a good thing not think about something that's impossible to prove.

Apart from all that, religion is man made crap that has caused more misery than anything else on earth, well apart from losing to Palace.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

Mightn't it stop you trying now with the thought that at least you'll have another go at it afterwards?
To me it seems you've romanticised the wonders of faith with a brush of envy thanks to you not being "fortunate" enough to be blessed with it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

after death we are absorbed by the earth all our nutrients etc are taken by the earth and used to make new plants and flowers etch which are of course part of the food chain and the cycle continues. We are f***ing compost and I for one am perfectly satisfied with that, in fact I am more than satisfied I am comforted by the fact that my death will help the world to continue. I don't need everlasting life in paradise, I am happy to know that I will help a daisy grow.

Oct 25, 2003
what i don't understand is why christianity as a whole is judged by outsiders due to the actions of a few, completely ignoring all the good it does

i don't judge atheists by the actions of stalin, for example

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports